Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:50:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

3 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: Winter Driving School FAQ  (Read 45932 times)

E6Cueman

• Administrator
  • That cone is still in the box!
  • Delete All The Accounts
    • View Profile
    • [qr]GaraGe
Winter Driving School FAQ
« on: December 07, 2014, 07:53:07 AM »
Interested in attending the winter driving school?  Here is a list of frequently asked questions.

• What does the school teach?
  • Where is the school held?
  • Is the school safe?
  • Will I fall through the ice?
  • Do I need winter tires?
  • Am I elegible to take the school with a Class 7 licence?
  • Who are the instructors?
  • Do I have insurance while participating in the school?
  • What does it cost and how do I register?
  • What do I need to bring?

E6Cueman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • [qr]GaraGe
Re: Winter Driving School FAQ
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 12:01:32 PM »
1.  What does the school teach?
The SASC Winter Driving School uses motorsports technique to teach car control and driving physics.  In motorsports, we often get to experience driving at, and beyond the limit and those experiences give us a big advantage should we find ourselves in unexpected situations on the street.  Our goal for the school is to transfer some of our experiences to non-motorsports drivers.  We teach car control and vehicle physics with an emphasis on:
a. Visual techniques
b. Creating driver comfort and awareness
c. Safety
d. Fun!
Our standard course includes a 40minute classroom session and a day of driving on solid ice through various courses and obstacles. 

2.  Where is the school held?
We hold our schools on the frozen ice of Ghost Lake, about 30 minutes west of Calgary off of Highway 1A.  Classroom sessions are typically held at a conference room (Days Inn) in the town of Cochrane prior to visiting the lake.

For directions to the lake, see here:  https://goo.gl/maps/r4dq1.

3.  Is the school safe?
Your safety and that of our instructors is our first priority, and we are proud to say that we have never had an injury or major incident at the school.  To ensure a safe and fun time for everyone, we do demand that you follow the rules outlined in our classroom session, and respect the directions of our instructors at all times.

4.  Will I fall through the ice?
No you will not.  If there are any questions relating to ice thickness and safety, schools will be postponed or cancelled.

As a general rule, we will not hold the school on less than 18" of ice.  As the above chart shows, that is more than enough for ordinary passenger vehicles.  Often we actually see between 20 and 30 inches of ice.  In previous years, the lake has been generally safe for our usage from early January to Mid March.

5.  Do I need winter tires?

No, but they are highly recommended.  If you do decide to attend our school on all-season tires, you will quickly realize how much better real winter tires are.  The surface conditions at our school are as slippery as you will find anywhere, and the extremely low limits of all-season tires can make some of our exercises quite challenging and perhaps even frustrating.  Vehicles on summer tires or performance tires are not welcome at the school.  Summer tires are so incapable that cars equipped with them are certain to hold up other cars in the exercise area, and often can't even navigate from area to area without assistance.  Yes these recommendations and restrictions apply to all wheel drive and four wheel drive vehicles as well!

6.  Am I elegible to take the school with a Class 7 licence?
There is no better place for new drivers to learn the limits of a car and/or a driver's skill!  Young drivers however, must be accompanied by a parent/guardian, and must have some driving experience.  This is not the place to learn what pedal does what!

7.  Who are the instructors?

Our instructors are experienced drivers coming from various racing disciplines.  Many have won national titles, american national titles or are professional driving instructors.  At our schools though, they are acting as volunteers, and most return year after year.  Yes it is that fun!

8.  Do I have insurance while participating in the school?
Your vehicle is not covered by standard insurance policies while partaking in the school, or driving on the lake.  Filing a claim for damage done on the lake may be considered fraud.  The S.A.S.C. carries insurance for the event, but it does not cover damage to vehicles

9.What does it cost and how to I register?
Our 2015 pricing was:
$150.00- Regular Price
$75.00- Student Price (Valid Student ID required)
*Note that entrance to the winter driving school includes a token for free entry to an S.A.S.C summer Autoslalom event, valid in the 2015 season (SASC Club Membership required)

10.  What do I need to bring?
Just a couple things!
a.  Your valid driver's licence.
b.  Your car. Any safe road going passenger vehicle will work.  This is not a racing school! The family minivan or SUV is a great choice.  Vehicles with excessively loud exhausts are not welcome.  Ensure your vehicle's interior is clean and distraction free, and you have enough gas for a full day of driving.
c.  Warm clothes.  Most of the day is spent inside the car, but it is inevitable that you will spend some time outside.  Temperatures on the lake are often colder than what we experience in the city, and the wind blows stronger too.  A toque, scarf, warm gloves, and a warm jacket that you can pull off and on as you get in and out of the car is a great idea.
d.  A smile.  This is no place to be nervous or anxious. If you don't spin out or slide through a corner, we're probably not doing our job.

Also note:
a.  We provide lunch and snacks.  If you have any special dietary requirements, let us know at registration.
b. Typically schools wrap up around 4pm.  If you need to leave earlier we can accommodate that.  Again, please let us know ahead of time.

E6Cueman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • [qr]GaraGe
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 12:02:21 PM »
Thanks all who PM'ed/responded with input.

brettswift

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 10:59:53 AM »
I can't remember how it works with two drivers and one vehicle.   I'm pretty sure this was handled last year but I'm not sure how it works here.

Is it a single entry fee and one car - giving half the seat time per student?  Or is it still a full fee where we try to give the two driver cars as much seat time as the one driver cars?

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 01:48:21 PM »
I can't remember how it works with two drivers and one vehicle.   I'm pretty sure this was handled last year but I'm not sure how it works here.

Is it a single entry fee and one car - giving half the seat time per student?  Or is it still a full fee where we try to give the two driver cars as much seat time as the one driver cars?

We do this at all our schools.  Each driver will get just as much seat time as any single vehicle entry due to the way we schedule the day.  Your car will run 2x as many laps/times as the single driver vehicles ... there is no loss of seat time at all.

Hence, it is two separate entries to be paid for.

On Motorsportreg.com, when you are doing one entry, you can add the other person, or else, they may enter on their own but still enter the same vehicle.

So, it is two separate entries ... using one vehicle.

Trust that makes sense?

R

brettswift

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 03:47:41 PM »
Yup Thanks Reijo.

I'll pass the info along to my friend that was asking.

chris l

• Not Quite DFL...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 02:04:10 PM »
Will there be winter driving lessons this season on Gost Lake?
How can I sign up?

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 03:45:54 PM »
Yes, we will post some dates soon on this forum.   1st one for students at Christmas break followed by regular ones beginning in early January.  They will be on www.msreg.com

Midnightsky

• :|
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 01:58:09 PM »
Has ghost lake even frozen over yet? Hopefully the weather co-operates
2022 Subaru BRZ 2.4L WRB Betty
2017 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L SOLD

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 11:19:22 AM »
Wait a month.    :)

Midnightsky

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 04:38:45 PM »
Wait a month.    :)

But I wanna go ice driving now damnit lol, I hope 1 month is all it takes to get it frozen over and thick enough for some low traction extravaganza driving 8)

chris l

• Not Quite DFL...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 07:31:49 PM »
Hi, this is Chris
I'd like to sign up my wife and I for a winter driving course on Ghost Lake this season....
It's a bday gift for her. I just saw this forum on the web and don't know much about this at all...
Do you think we could join this winter? What's the cost and how can I book it ?

Midnightsky

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 08:32:35 AM »
Hi, this is Chris
I'd like to sign up my wife and I for a winter driving course on Ghost Lake this season....
It's a bday gift for her. I just saw this forum on the web and don't know much about this at all...
Do you think we could join this winter? What's the cost and how can I book it ?

Hey there Chris, absolutely you guys can sign up and join us this winter.  We offer a very comprehensive course and Im sure you guys will learn lots and have tons of fun.  I do not recall the pricing of our courses but I know it was very reasonable for what is being offered.   At the moment we do not have registration open but I imagine in the next week or 2 it should be up, Reijo will chime in Im sure.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 04:25:06 PM »
Yep, working on the winter driver training as we speak.   First one I hope will take place likely on Saturday, Dec. 31 (rather than Sunday, New Years' Day for "obvious" reasons.   :)  ).  It is also during the Christmas break so it is a good opportunity for students to take it so there will be a greater focus on them although most of the curriculum will be the same.

Stay tuned for updates real soon.  I have the tentative dates picked out and will be working out pricing shortly.

R

Midnightsky

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 07:33:33 PM »
Reijo, do you need any help with rounding up volunteers? I would be willing to help get a list together with names and contact info.  I could post up a volunteer call on the forum here and on CSCC to ensure the roster gets filled up.  Shoot me a PM if you're interested :)

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11442
  • Total Topics: 1569
  • Online Today: 12
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1