Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:12:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

5 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 2016 Montana events  (Read 15155 times)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Montana events
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 10:57:32 AM »
I seem to get hassled by the border guards every time I go down there... last time the guard was screaming at me "WHAT DID YOU GET ARRESTED FOR SIR" over and over. So I pretty much refuse to go to the US anymore

Which border?  I have had respectful treatment almost every time at the Coutts-Sweetgrass border.  However I did get called for inspection by a new lady recently however the guys at the back were very friendly and we had an interesting talk about cars, competition etc.  So I think every once in a while they just make a mistake or something?

Cagare

• Administrator
  • :|
  • 2020 Club President
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 11:34:32 AM »
I seem to get hassled by the border guards every time I go down there... last time the guard was screaming at me "WHAT DID YOU GET ARRESTED FOR SIR" over and over. So I pretty much refuse to go to the US anymore

Yeah, occasionally at the US Border you face this level of "scrutiny".  Most of the time the boarder guards in all of the borders I have dealt with have been reasonable and even nice for the most part.

NickST

• Life is like a box of corners
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 04:42:36 PM »

Which border?  I have had respectful treatment almost every time at the Coutts-Sweetgrass border.  However I did get called for inspection by a new lady recently however the guys at the back were very friendly and we had an interesting talk about cars, competition etc.  So I think every once in a while they just make a mistake or something?

This was at the Sweetgrass location

I am paranoid I am on some sort of a list now. I was thinking about getting a Nexus pass or something in the future

Tuna

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
  • KG not kg
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 09:03:14 PM »
What DID you get arrested for?

NickST

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 09:43:23 PM »
What DID you get arrested for?

Good looks... I plead not-handsome and got off with a bad haircut

zero10

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2016, 07:44:29 AM »

I would imagine if you answered the question they would stop asking it ;)

Seriously though, I've been given a hard time at the border crossing in Sweetgrass as well.  One time we were making a trip to MSO and I decided to bring my oldest daughter along so she could be completely bored out of her mind and appreciate the fun things she can do at home more.  I had my passport and my daughter's birth certificate but unknown to me I also had to get a signed letter from my wife to take her with me.  I probably shouldn't have asked the border guard if my wife would need one to take our daughter without me present, or mentioned that nobody could possibly kidnap our daughter AND make it 3 hours out of town without returning her because that seemed to have made the guy extra angry and I got berated by him about how child abduction isn't a joke.  Eventually he decided that I didn't look like I was abducting her, or maybe he just got tired of shouting and stopped caring, either way he let me through.

Of course, on the next crossing I made sure to bring a letter with me and the guy I got that time didn't ask for it or care at all when I mentioned I had it.

They are very inconsistent there, and also somewhat hostile.
2016/2017 CSCC Autoslalom Director

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2016, 08:55:16 AM »
A few years back I read an article about how the border guards really have almost absolute authority over you and how you have no legal recourse.  It is kind of scarey in a way if you think of it.  If they say "no" you cannot cross into the "land of the free" then there really is precious little you can do about it on the spot or even later!  And, likewise coming back, you can get hassled, searched etc. for no reason.  Now I understand they have a job to do to make sure guns, drugs, unsavory illegal types do not cross the border etc. but sometimes ordinary, honest folks can get caught up in this "absolute power" trap.  I wonder if there is a better way?

For myself I have crossed the border many times in the past and want to in the future so I try to be as pleasant as possible to the guards (I imagine their job is not always the best as well ... as per police etc.) and honest also.  The duty on extra goods I have found is really not very much so I make a point of adding up all my purchases totally to the penny because I do not want to jeopardize any future crossings ... even by a simple mathematical error or a few dollars; just not worth it.

Having said that, I have heard of others who seem to always get searched every time they cross the border all due to making a "mistake" in the past.   That makes me think that they do have a list or a black flagging system.  I have heard the comment that it takes a while and persistence to get off that list ... keep your nose clean kind of thing.

But the disclaimer is that I do not know these comments to be truth ... just heresay.  So I can only speak of my experience and those of friends that I know about.

So I don't know for sure what to say at this time, Nick.  Hope it clears up for you, Nick!

Canuck

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2016, 08:59:47 AM »
I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone with fun at the Sweetgrass crossing.  There is a list.  Living in Lethbridge means it's just too convenient to have parts shipped to the border (free US shipping is like crack).  My day job also has military applications and I've had reason to be involved with the US Forces (various divisions) - so I've got to be very careful when I cross.  I've be searched so many times I've got the routine down (they don't appreciate it when you start the process without them when you go to the garage..."SIR, what are you doing?" ... Me - "Just opening up the hood and trunk (they don't "pop" on my cars).  Don't you know the routine?"   ;D  Oops.  My best crossing so far was when I was picking up the seats for my Volvo 240...in my 240.  I just stripped all the interior out of the car at home and drove to the border.  Sure it seems stupid now...but the look on the US officer's face was almost worth the hour they spent searching around inside my completely bare car (just a drivers seat and carpets).  Can't blame them.  In retrospect, it did look a little suspicious.
1981 Volvo 242 GLT
1966 Volvo 122 (long term project)

NickST

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2016, 09:28:43 AM »
I've always been nothing but nice and co-operative. No sarcasm, no lip... Nothing but clear and honest answers.

I just got a really bad vibe last time, they were accusing me of lying about my criminal past, (of which I have absolutely nothing of the sort,) and threatened to have the police pick me up if I deviated from going to a shipping outlet near the border or took too long.

It was really stressful and rattled me , I just refuse to go across anymore. It is BS that I can be treated like that. Hell, the border inspection guys in China were way more professional and civil to me.

zero10

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2016, 10:30:27 AM »
Nick - perhaps you have the same name as somebody who has been in trouble in the past?

I agree on the inconsistency.  Sometimes I'm grilled, lied to and needlessly hassled, other times they just wave me through with $1000 of declared things that I should owe GST and duty on...  On one trip they told the person I was traveling with that he had to pay duty on all of the parts he was picking up because they were FOR an import car.  Country of origin doesn't matter, they're FOR a Subaru and a Nissan, therefore you pay duty.  I got the next person over at the desk and they didn't even check country of origin on any of my stuff (which is nice because most of it should have owed duty on top of the GST as well as tire tax) and just wrote up my invoice as "groceries" and I paid GST only.
2016/2017 CSCC Autoslalom Director

NickST

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2016, 11:01:52 AM »
No issues coming through the Canadian side for me

As far as I know there are only two people with my name.... some golf instructor in Florida, and a distant nephew that isn't old enough to drive yet.

If the dollar ever gets better I will probably just apply for the Nexus pass. That way there is a criminal background check involved and any flags on their system that say otherwise can be quashed. Until then, I am playing it safe and steering clear.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile

Stuart

• Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2016, 09:38:17 PM »
TV article on Great Falls event ... think that is Murray at the end!   :P

http://www.krtv.com/story/31687385/autocross-drivers-push-the-pedal-to-the-medal-during-first-race-of-the-season?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KRTV_Great_Falls

It's awesome that they get some coverage down there, but I wish KRTV would get the saying right in their headline.

nnywg

• My car is not a car.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2016, 10:54:38 AM »
Maybe it's a questionable pun?
Accidental collector of oddball Toyotas, Truck Racer, and Nürburgring veteran.
#tetanustruck on IG

Stuart

• Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2016, 01:01:24 PM »
Maybe it's a questionable pun?

Given the state of journalism lately I would lean more towards them not knowing the difference between metal and medal.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11442
  • Total Topics: 1569
  • Online Today: 12
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 5
Total: 5