Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:29:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

10 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Winter 2015-16 Winter Driver Training Schedule and Info  (Read 19763 times)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Re: Winter 2015-16 Winter Driver Training Schedule and Info
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2016, 07:50:13 PM »
The ice is good but the snow drifts around the island are too much ... got my truck stuck for a while and so we will be running a couple of km. west on the south side of the lake ... where we have run before last year.

cfyung85

• Not Quite DFL...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2016, 02:00:09 PM »
This is my first time into this event. I'm attending on January 10. Are we at Days Inn Cochrane (5 Westside Drive) at 8:00 am?

Also, my friend (not participating) would like to watch from somewhere. Any suitable place for him to watch?

brettswift

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2016, 08:56:09 AM »
Hey cfyung85,

Yes - 8am at the Days Inn.  There will be some instructors there a bit earlier ~7:45 if you end up there early.

There isn't really a good spot to watch the events in most cases.  Sometimes we're out in the middle of the lake, sometimes by the island - but it depends on conditions on the lake for that day that determines where we set up.  Reijo might have a thought here.

You'll have enough fun on the lake and learn enough that we're confident you'll end up convincing your friend to come another day :)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2016, 11:19:21 AM »
This is my first time into this event. I'm attending on January 10. Are we at Days Inn Cochrane (5 Westside Drive) at 8:00 am?

Also, my friend (not participating) would like to watch from somewhere. Any suitable place for him to watch?

7:45 am at Day's Inn so you can sign the waiver ... your friend would also have to sign it.

It might be a bit boring for your friend all day but I suppose if he wanted to be out there, it would be adviseable to generally stay out of the way so nobody bumps into his vehicle and vice-versa.   He would also have to sign the waiver and would not be allowed out on the courses with his vehicle due to insurance reasons (he would not have insurance, of course).

As Brett mentioned it is simply better to take the course and learn more that way since it is the conversations behind the wheel that are important and the particular feedback we give to the individual ... Yes, the feedback is individual ... customized to suit your driving.  A different person does not necessarily learn the same skills as you.   :)

Furthermore, some people have taken these courses a number of times.  The courses have changed and the feedback will also change for you as you progress as a driver.  Therefore the "same" school is really never the "same" school ... if that makes sense.   :)

In some ways I think you can say that driving is a lifelong learning process.  Even after over 30 years of competition I'm still learning interesting little aspects of high performance driving ... go figure.    :)  So, do you ever know it all?  I would have to say "no".   :)

Reijo

cfyung85

• Not Quite DFL...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2016, 10:47:14 PM »
Thanks guys! I'll let my friend know  ;)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2016, 09:22:51 AM »
Setting up at Ghost later today .. late afternoon ... after about 2 pm ... got time? Come and help! :)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2016, 06:28:15 AM »
We had a couple of very successful schools again this past weekend with great feedback!  Thanks to all who helped out!

Ice thickness was 18" on Friday and there was only a hint of drifts left (which were inconsequential).  Yep, it was a skating rink which made for very slick conditions and low speeds of course even with studs.  But sometimes that can make for a better learning environment since "mistakes" are greatly exaggerated and there is time to "correct" them in the middle of the maneuver.

I have posted some photos on the SASC Facebook page if you are interested.

We have two left to go for this season:

1.  Sunday, Feb. 21
2.  Sunday, March 6

Reijo

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2016, 01:06:42 PM »
I was out at Ghost Lake yesterday and despite the warm weather this past week, the ice remains almost identical to the previous weekend with about 18" of ice thickeness.

One of my thoughts was that the Chinook clouds over the mountains actually shield the lake area from the sun during the warmest part of the day in the late afternoon.  It was quite chilly and barely above freezing I estimate yesterday afternoon whereas it was about +8C in Calgary when I left.

Another factor, of course, is the fact that the elevation is higher as you travel west and therefore it is naturally colder than Calgary just on that basis.

Will likely check later on this week to ensure we are good for the coming Sunday, Feb. 21 SASC Winter Driver Training.

Reijo

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2016, 01:12:12 PM »
About to head out to Ghost to set up for tomorrow.  If you have some spare time, we will appreciate the help!   :)

Otherwise see some of you tomorrow!  7:45 at Day's Inn.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2016, 10:49:41 PM »
In-car video from Ghost Lake - Feb. 21/16 ... top down.   :)

BTW, the track was 4.3 km (2.67 mi. ... remember that Race City was 2.2 miles?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeyl-WSVTv8

Reijo

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2016, 06:37:24 PM »
Lots of ice at Ghost Lake (most of the season) today - 2 feet thick ... measured near the ramp and then near the training area we have been using most of the year.

Photos on FB:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/12062776685/

R

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2016, 03:39:39 PM »
Last Winter Driver Training scheduled for this season this coming Sunday.  We have 10 entries thus far so it will be a nice day.  If you know of anyone wanting to take one of these, this is your chance.  Remember these driving skills apply to all conditions including the summer!   :)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2016, 06:41:14 AM »
Cones are set up for this morning, we are a go for the final Winter Driver Training of the season.   I find it hard to believe the season is over already.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11433
  • Total Topics: 1567
  • Online Today: 15
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10