Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:59:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

10 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 2016 Solo Pro Schools.  (Read 18188 times)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
2016 Solo Pro Schools.
« on: March 29, 2016, 10:39:23 AM »
Due to the venue issues, we did not know when and how the schools would work out.

Anyway, the latest information is as follows:

1.  The SoloPro schools will happen on Sat/Sun, June 11/12, 2016 as per usual.  (I have to confirm the availability of instructors etc. at this time and have been in contact with Tim Aro and we are working on the schools).

2.  We have held Professional level autox schools in the Calgary area since about 2001 and I believe they have made a huge difference in the overall competitiveness of our region.  We have a LOT of very good drivers here now and fully capable of trophying or even winning the US/SCCA Nationals!  Yes, I dare to say that!  :)

3.  Personally, I would like to continue to develop our drivers even further!  And, of course, introduce newer drivers to our midst and get them on the right path and working on the right techniques right off the bat!  Why waste time practicing errors?  Practice proper techniques and you WILL get "somewhere"!

4.  Note that cars, equipment, tires, etc. have all changed and so have we!  In fact, I have learned more "new" stuff about driving faster that I'm itching to share with you!  It is an ongoing learning process!  We can ALL get better!

5.  Last year, Revenue Canada hit us with some extra fees (they also did the same thing the year before) so for the second time in as many years, we will have to raise our fees (the only times the fees have increased since 2001 I note!) to cover the extra cost of the government fees for instructors to come across the border.  I have started a budget already and I am guessing that the fees per day will be in the order of $350 or so.  I will try to keep them as reasonable as possible.

6.  In any case, the cost, if you think of it, is more or less the cost of a single tire.  The benefits to you will continue for your entire autox career.  Heck, for some the increased tire wear will pay for the course in the first year!  :)

7.  I believe we can more or less fill an Intro and Comp school so those will be offered at this time.

8.  It has been a while since we offered an Extreme School and I'm thinking it is time for a more advanced school.  Last year we upped the ante for the Comp school for those that took it ... more advanced than the "normal" Comp school.  But I think it is time to offer something that is meant for those looking for the tiny last little items that will get them from mid-pack to the top at International level competitions.  Stay tuned.  This would more than likely be a two-day school (my guesstimate at this time - let me know if you have any other preferences or thoughts ... e.g. a one day school only?).

9.  Tim and I are discussing some changes (there have been a few changes over the last two years including such things as material and even course design) so anyone not having taken one of these schools recently might want to consider this.  There are going to be some things different this year as well.  Stay tuned.   :)

10.  Anyway, I will set up Motorsportreg shortly to take deposits ($100) to hold your spot, for any and all 3 schools.  If we do not have enough people for any particular schools, we will issue a full refund (no 5% fee).

Questions?

Thanks,

Reijo

Mkelder

• That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Solo Pro Schools.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 12:16:14 PM »
I know I'll be ready for pointers to make me faster! I need to hurry and get my car drivable quick!

NickST

• :|
  • Life is like a box of corners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 09:39:06 PM »
Membership purchased... anxiously awaiting more details on the school   ;D

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 05:24:56 PM »
We are looking for deposits (basically $100 per day) to hold spots.

Intro $100 June 11
Comp $100 June 12
Extreme (2 days, $200 dep.) June 11/12

Pay here:   www.msreg.com/soloprodeposits

We are working on the final fees as we are speaking.  We are anticipating an increase due to new fees Revenue Canada has added for cross-border instructors over the last two years.  My guesstimate right now is $350 final cost per day ... as a minimum.  (just have to confirm the fees and instructors).

NickST

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 05:36:36 PM »
Which one should I do? Am I ready for comp?

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 06:27:39 PM »
Which one should I do? Am I ready for comp?

I thought you did both last year?

In reality any one of the schools is good because really we work with you wherever you are at ... e.g. we pick up where you are at.....irregardless of which school it is.

Having said that as per the descriptions, there are differences.

Comp has more emphasis day-of-competition "stuff"(our "hidden" agenda!  ;) ).  The school concentrates more on actual competition aspects of driving than simply the mechanics of driving (which we all have to do ... practice the basics ... you hear even world champions/Olympic athletes speak of practicing/honing the basics ... something you never get away from.

After the Intro level, you might say we are assuming the role of coaches some times; directing and refining techniques.   Some times it is good to have a 2nd set of eyes observe what you are doing since we do not see ourselves clearly and bad habits can creep in without our noticing.

And then there is the Extreme ... still works on basics, but only as required.  The Extreme gets a lot more finicky .... looking for those last tenths ... those "tiny" things.  (e.g. you should have the basics pretty much "down").  But don't be fooled!  Those "tiny" things can add up to a significant amount of time.

Also, this past couple of years, I have continued to look more into the mental game of motorsports and there will be more of that:  How do you deal with pressure?  Can you "up" your game at the "big show"?  How do you do that?  There are some really powerful techniques that I have been exploring to help us all perform at our best when it "really" counts ... Some fun and fascinating stuff!    ;)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 06:35:42 PM »
BTW, I think I did the equivalent of the Intro 5-6 times ... always learned something ... not a waste at all.  Other schools I did a number of times also.  But I think Murray (and Jo) is the champ of that, having taken all schools every year he's been around I think!   

Note that the schools have changed over the years also!  They have been refined with different course designs, techniques, teaching methods etc.  So if you have not taken a school recently you might find them somewhat different.  We are always improving.  :)

NickST

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 07:16:44 PM »
^^ Sorry, I meant extreme

It looks like Extreme runs the same two days as intro and comp.

Sometimes I feel like I need to focus on the finicky things at events... and other times I can't even get the basics right.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 07:50:09 PM »
^^ Sorry, I meant extreme

It looks like Extreme runs the same two days as intro and comp.

Sometimes I feel like I need to focus on the finicky things at events... and other times I can't even get the basics right.

Yea that is what I figured.

Consistency comes with seat time ... practice ... repetition ... like any sport really.  There is a mental aspect to consistency as well ... the ability to get into "the zone" so to speak ... and that is sort of the mental game ... :)  I will be bringing a person on board to do some of that with us this year.  And, that you may find very interesting!   :)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 07:52:02 PM »
And, yes, the Extreme would run two days concurrently with the Intro and Comp.  So you would have to choose between them.  Last year we had to cancel the Extreme since there was not enough interest and we "beefed up" the Comp to compensate ... sort of a mix of the two.

NickST

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 07:53:09 PM »
^^ Looking forward to meeting them!

I've done the intro and comp schools twice now, I think I am going to sign up for Extreme this year   8)

Dohnuts

• Not Quite DFL...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 09:59:07 PM »
WANT SO BADLY. Any chance of doing another school not on a weekend that I am out of town? Could not afford it last year, this year timing is off.

pardglg

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
  • White road paint is slippery...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 10:12:53 PM »
Its a great event. I've been to the last two and am trying to get this one lined up as well. The benefits of having a pro in your car with you, showing you how and why to do or not do things, cannot be underestimated. Absolutely fabulous.
1999 Corvette ST
2013 Scion FRS CS

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 10:19:19 PM »
BTW, I think I did the equivalent of the Intro 5-6 times ... always learned something ... not a waste at all.  Other schools I did a number of times also.  But I think Murray (and Jo) is the champ of that, having taken all schools every year he's been around I think!   

Yep -- 9 years and I have taken a course (or two) every year.  However, Jo and I will not be taking a course this year.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

94boosted

• Administrator
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 08:23:11 AM »

8.  It has been a while since we offered an Extreme School and I'm thinking it is time for a more advanced school.  Last year we upped the ante for the Comp school for those that took it ... more advanced than the "normal" Comp school.  But I think it is time to offer something that is meant for those looking for the tiny last little items that will get them from mid-pack to the top at International level competitions.  Stay tuned.  This would more than likely be a two-day school (my guesstimate at this time - let me know if you have any other preferences or thoughts ... e.g. a one day school only?).

Always wanted to take the Extreme school, I've taken comp more times than I can count (but still learn lots every time I go). However for me personally committing to 2 days is a bit difficult, if Extreme was a 1 day I'd take it, if not, comp.
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11433
  • Total Topics: 1567
  • Online Today: 15
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online