Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:08:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

16 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Harry's lap timer or similar  (Read 2017 times)

Sprockett

• Global Moderator
  • That cone is still in the box!
  • My cars = For Sale
    • View Profile
Harry's lap timer or similar
« on: June 11, 2016, 07:48:06 PM »
Looking to try something like this at the next track day. I know joe g is using this as well as others. Describe your setup and how you use it? What mount, etc. Where you purchased? I read it can be paired with a go pro? Anyone doing that?

Thanks
Ryan

k1l4m

• View Profile
Re: Harry's lap timer or similar
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 09:46:58 PM »
Track Addict works pretty well for a free app, can connect it to a GoPro and an external GPS if needed.

I've used a $20 mount from Memory Express and also a RAM Mount. RAM Mount's are probably the sturdiest mounts available (I think, they also come with lifetime warranty from GPS City beside Speeders).

I am tempted to purchase Harry's Lap Timer (GP version) for the additional features and sector times.

Sprockett

• Global Moderator
  • My cars = For Sale
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 08:35:46 AM »
Downloaded Track Addict and you are correct, looks pretty good for a simple free app. Thanks for the suggestion. I may head to GPS City anyways and get a Bluetooth GPS unit instead of using the phone.

For the mount I decided I wanted to use my plethora of GoPro mounts so I simply bought another cheap phone case and used a sticky mount on it.

majormojo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 09:55:57 AM »
I've used Harry's Lap Timer, TrackAddict, Lap Timer HD and CMS Pro Lap timer. For a simple in-car timer, any of them will do. What else do you want to accomplish?

Harry's, TA and CMS can all also do additional functions like creating videos with data overlays (I've had problems with Harry's and video aspect ratios on Android), control an external camera (GoPro, TA also does Garmin) and OBD2 logging (throttle position, rpm, various temps & pressures) as well as use an external GPS.

For run-to-run comparisons, CMS Pro has the best data analysis features. By default the data overlays on video are not as polished as TrackAddict. CMS also does not require you to pre-select a track in order to get started, the others do, but many tracks are available, including Castrol. TA is made by the same folks that produce RaceRender - a great tool for producing high-quality videos with comprehensive data overlays.

I have the paid premium versions of all these apps and I mostly use CMS; often with OBD2 logging or GoPro activation and always with an external bluetooth GPS (10Hz resolution). Mostly because I like the data analysis features and I'm used to it. (It's data analysis is based on the MaxQData app that was popular a few years ago - "pocket PC" era...).
Jim W, #24
WCMA Licensing Director

Sprockett

• Global Moderator
  • My cars = For Sale
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 03:47:28 PM »
Just checked in CMS as well. Thanks Jim.

Looked at the sample autocross files to check the data analysis. One thing that seems missing is just a time diff? Am I missing something? Also can't figure out how to just get rid of a bunch of stuff I don't want to see. Is the layout always the same for the analysis screen?

majormojo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 11:32:04 PM »
In Analysis mode, use Menu --> Settings to choose the data you want to graph in one of the "boxes". The ">>" and "<<"  on the Analysis screen toggle between different layouts for that display. You can also double-tap on any one of the small data graphs to view only that graph in the bottom portion of the screen. The Quickview feature is quite powerful once you learn how to read it:

QuickView

QuickViews is an innovative way to visualize the performance of a car as it drives around the track. It combines lateral acceleration, longitudinal acceleration, and speed differences into a single graphic that is easy to grasp visually.

The width of each block is proportional to lateral acceleration. The length (in the direction of travel) of each block is proportional to longitudinal acceleration. The inside color is red for braking, blue for accelerating. Intense red is hard braking, intense blue is hard acceleration. White means neither braking nor accelerating (coasting).

The green outline indicates where B is faster than A, orange where B is slower. This coloring only appears when A and B are at approximately the same point on the track.

Using the Link feature synchronizes Run B's current GPS location to Run A so you can compare data at that location on the track. When unlinked, the comparison is based on the run times.

Use beacons to compare times in specific segments of the run.
Jim W, #24
WCMA Licensing Director

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11433
  • Total Topics: 1567
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0