Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:30:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

12 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Cross-Canada trip  (Read 13203 times)

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
    • View Profile
Re: Cross-Canada trip
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2016, 07:59:26 PM »
We finished driving around Newfoundland, and are now heading west again after being on the easternmost point of the continent (Cape Spear).  Gros Morne park is beautiful;  it was nice to see mountains again.

We got into Quebec city today.  Today we also passed 10,000 KM of driving on our vacation.  The RE-71R tires in the rear are now down to the wear bars, and definitely won't get us home.  I am planning on buying some cheap all-seasons to get us home.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2016, 04:41:02 AM »
Sounds like you spent a bit of time on the "rock".   I have never been ... but curious.

Also interesting that you have managed 10,000 km on the RE71's .... didn't think they would go that far ...

Hmmmm....isn't Talon Tire in Montreal?   http://www.talontire.com/

Next event here is in Fort Macleod Sept 17/18 .... noticed you two weren't there last weekend!   

Have a good trip back!

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2016, 05:32:34 AM »
Actually I have to correct myself ... I did land in Gander in a plane a long time ago ... So I guess PEI is the only province or territory I have not been on .... want to drive that bridge some day ... :)

Did you catch a different ferry back to the mainland?  I noticed that there are a couple of other ferrys including one that goes to Quebec (only about 10 + miles) from the NW side of Newfoundland ...

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2016, 06:04:24 AM »
We took the ferry from Port aux Basques to North Sydney -- that one is a shorter ride of about 6 hours.

Driving the PEI bridge in a small car is boring, since you are too low down to see over the concrete sides.

Talon Tire may be in Monteal, but I have no desire to do any more driving in that city.  Nasty roads and nasty traffic.  But old town Montreal is fun; more restaurants and pubs than I believed possible.

I don't know if we will make the Sept 17/18 events.  We might be home by then, but it's going to be a close thing.
2017 Miata (C Street)

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2016, 07:56:45 PM »
We just got  into Thunder Bay today, with over 12,000 KM driven so far.

For those wanting to go to Ottawa -- hold off for a year or two.  The downtown is a constuction mess (LRT going in and many new buildings).  Driving is insane and not recommended.

As expected, Quebec city was gorgeous.  We have to visit that city more in the future.
2017 Miata (C Street)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2016, 09:02:06 PM »
We just got  into Thunder Bay today, with over 12,000 KM driven so far.

For those wanting to go to Ottawa -- hold off for a year or two.  The downtown is a constuction mess (LRT going in and many new buildings).  Driving is insane and not recommended.

As expected, Quebec city was gorgeous.  We have to visit that city more in the future.

My parents and two sisters live in Thunder Bay.  Did you go via the northern route (Hwy 11) or the Lake Superior route (Hwy 17)?  2100 km. to Calgary from Thunder Bay ... have driven it a few times over the years.

R

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2016, 03:10:05 AM »
We took highway 17; lovely scenery, but many constructon delays.  Mind you, construction delays have been pretty much the norm througout our trip.
2017 Miata (C Street)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2016, 05:36:05 AM »
Yes, the trip along Superior is beautiful.   There are two seasons there:  winter and construction.  You would have gone through Terrace Bay about 1/2 way across from Sault Ste Marie to Thunder Bay.  Terrace Bay is where Kimberley Clark (think Kleenex products) used to have a paper mill.  The logs my dad used to cut about 70 miles north of there went there as well as to the local sawmill, Weldwood OSB and plywood plant.  KC (and Weldwood for that matter) is long gone now and the towns in the area are a shadow of what they used to be.  Thanks to the US tariffs on wood products etc. that really killed the industry back in the early to mid '90's.  My dad was lucky he retired just before all that happened so he had his pension, sold his house etc. before everything died.  It was tragic really.  Notley/Trudeau are now trying to do the same to the Alberta oil industry it seems.  That is the bad thing about a "one horse town" ... Geez ... maybe it is getting to time to leave Alberta?  I hope not.

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2016, 09:22:43 AM »
So, we made it home.  58 days on the road, 14,180 KM of driving.  It was a great trip, with beautiful scenery and cities.  And we even got some autocross in along the way :)
2017 Miata (C Street)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2016, 09:43:18 AM »
Welcome back!  Next SASC events are this weekend at Fort Macleod (which I cannot make unfortunately) and then Sept. 25 at the new venue at YYC ... and a Sept. 24/Sat. event at Red Deer by the CSCC.   Actually we have quite a few events to wrap up the year ...

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2016, 09:47:15 AM »
I have doubts about this coming event; the car needs an oil change, new tires, and I need to get some grease on the clutch fork.
2017 Miata (C Street)

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11451
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 15
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0