Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:40:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

8 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: Solo Pro Schools  (Read 4559 times)

Mkelder

• That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
Solo Pro Schools
« on: July 26, 2016, 12:34:18 PM »
I just want to again point out how valuable attending the past solo pro school weekend was and once again thank Reijo and Jeff for their input into my driving techniques.

Our past event was the first time back to fort MacLeod since the schools and I think the best confirmation to the benefits (the school was followed by two red deer events which was a little hard to gauge any improvements and then Packwood which was too much of a foreign event to use as a benchmark) but after our latest I'm seeing results not only in how I feel about my driving but even by time on the clock!

My abilities and car have let me put down fast times in the past which is all well and good but I have never been able to approach the pax adjuster favourably and I was a little shocked to see myself 3rd pax, a new feat!

Looks like blaming my car as not yet pax competitive in ASP was a little off, thanks Reijo! Now I need a new excuse :o Unless we are talking Packwood level of car preparedness, wow!

Anyway, my main point for this post is to try and encourage more to take the school and see their hidden talents!

NickST

• :|
  • Life is like a box of corners
    • View Profile
Re: Solo Pro Schools
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 02:54:19 PM »
Just in watching you drive at events since the school I kind of feel like you really woke up with your driving. Those schools are pretty amazing for doing that.

My excuse for the summer months is "Oh my tiny little motor must be heat soaked"   ;D

Canuck

• That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 05:20:04 PM »
I just want to again point out how valuable attending the past solo pro school weekend was and once again thank Reijo and Jeff for their input into my driving techniques.

Our past event was the first time back to fort MacLeod since the schools and I think the best confirmation to the benefits (the school was followed by two red deer events which was a little hard to gauge any improvements and then Packwood which was too much of a foreign event to use as a benchmark) but after our latest I'm seeing results not only in how I feel about my driving but even by time on the clock!

My abilities and car have let me put down fast times in the past which is all well and good but I have never been able to approach the pax adjuster favourably and I was a little shocked to see myself 3rd pax, a new feat!

Looks like blaming my car as not yet pax competitive in ASP was a little off, thanks Reijo! Now I need a new excuse :o Unless we are talking Packwood level of car preparedness, wow!

Anyway, my main point for this post is to try and encourage more to take the school and see their hidden talents!

That would be my exact experience Matt.  At the school, I asked you guys to remind me to PUSH.  Terry reminded me to push and I literally that run, shaved 1.5 seconds off my time.  I just wish I could get our local Lethbridge group to get a venue so I could make these patterns practiced!  My car will never be PAX competitive, but the nut behind the wheel is learning.
1981 Volvo 242 GLT
1966 Volvo 122 (long term project)

NickST

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 09:58:58 PM »
BUMP:

Any dates planned for the Solo Pro school this year?

I am looking at the Velocity schools out here in Van, but I am not sure if they are of the same caibure as the Solo Pro school

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 11:25:14 PM »
We are looking at May 20/21 ... Victoria Day long weekend.  SoloPro already has it on the web site:   www.soloprodrivingschool.com

I was talking to Tim recently also and he said he is looking at revamping some of the advanced schools etc. ...

The date and what schools are offered are preliminary right now and you will something here soon to gage interest etc. etc.

Reijo

NickST

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 10:43:12 PM »
YYC or Fort McLeod?

BrianHemming

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 11:15:04 PM »
BUMP:

Any dates planned for the Solo Pro school this year?

I am looking at the Velocity schools out here in Van, but I am not sure if they are of the same caibure as the Solo Pro school

Velocity is great for beginners.  Tons of seat time at a quality location with a good format.  Typically three elements - slalom, skid pad, sweeper.  As the day progresses the 3 elements are linked into a complete course.

The "instructors" are just local club members.  It's kind of luck of the draw as to the quality of instruction that you receive.  My opinion is that the SoloPro school would be far better for the intermediate student.   

See you in Pitt Meadows.  I'll be one of the guys in the red CSP Miata

NickST

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 10:38:42 PM »
Hey thanks for your input Brian!

I am totally in the dark about the Velocity schools, so I really appreciate you posting your insight!

Depending on how things shake out over the next little while I am still considering signing up for both schools, I always see value in getting some seat time and getting feedback on my driving from people with experience.

Really looking forward to running in Pitt Meadows with you guys... and in March! Such an early start, this is going to be so awesome!

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 09:05:01 AM »
Maybe we should look at a SoloPro School out at Pitt Meadows?   :)

BrianHemming

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 03:32:04 PM »

Not a bad idea.  I'm sure there would be interest in it from the drivers.  Not sure how the local clubs would feel about it since VCMC and UBC both run their own schools.  In my opinion (which is often unpopular  :P) I think you are offering a different/higher level of training than the locals.

Really looking forward to running in Pitt Meadows with you guys... and in March! Such an early start, this is going to be so awesome!

Why wait so long?  The UBC Sports Car Club runs all winter.  There's a race Sunday actually, but due to winter actually hitting Vancouver it's just been turned into non-points event with some rules about winter tires etc.  www.ubcscc.com

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 06:31:37 PM »
Yes, the SoloPro schools are well beyond beginner level ... nationa/international level rather ... if you are at that level you can learn from the schools.  Raw beginners can learn a lot but some experience/basics under the belt first would be more benefiscial.   On the other hand, before someone learns bad habits, ...

NickST

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 09:41:57 PM »

Not a bad idea.  I'm sure there would be interest in it from the drivers.  Not sure how the local clubs would feel about it since VCMC and UBC both run their own schools.  In my opinion (which is often unpopular  :P) I think you are offering a different/higher level of training than the locals.

Why wait so long?  The UBC Sports Car Club runs all winter.  There's a race Sunday actually, but due to winter actually hitting Vancouver it's just been turned into non-points event with some rules about winter tires etc.  www.ubcscc.com

It would be really great if Solo Pro came to Vancouver! No matter how many times I take the program (I think 3 times now?), I learn something new that helps me get a little bit faster.

I can't really get rolling right now, my Fiesta came with dedicated summer tires and my only other tires are RE-71R's... not great for winter driving, haha. I am also in the middle of getting into a new apartment and trying to get all of my gear together in once place. I ditched my car on the Island at my folks place until I can get a second parking stall for it in Vancouver. I need to get a new helmet too... was going to order it online, but I forgot what size my old one was!

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11442
  • Total Topics: 1569
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 8
Total: 9