Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:54:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

12 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: How to get started in Solosport?  (Read 3966 times)

trophy

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
How to get started in Solosport?
« on: August 30, 2016, 01:30:27 PM »
Just registered for the site, interested in the process to compete... Of course Joining the club would be the first step, what else is needed?  Any school/licencing requirements?  What do I need to do to start competing?

I have plenty of track experience (close to 30 years) and have been an instructor for PCA (Porsche) and BMW Clubs for 10 plus years. I have also instructed at a number of WCMA licencing days back in the old Race City times.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Re: How to get started in Solosport?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 02:26:44 PM »
Welcome!  Chances are I have met you at some point!   :)

Anyway, the nice thing about solo competitions is that you do not need much to start out!

1.  No licence per se ... although some times in the past (not currently), the national body (ASN/FiA Canada) or WCMA (Western Canada Motorsport Association) has had some type of licence but primarily for the purposes of a trophy fund.  So, all you need is a valid driver's licence.

2.  Joining the club and entering events are available at www.MSReg.com ... at http://www.motorsportreg.com/orgs/southern-alberta-solosport-club

We will be adding a few events very shortly in the upcoming day or two.  As a member you will have the first opportunity to enter.  The next Fort Macleod events are Sept. 17/18 and next Calgary event is Sept. 25 and will be available for registration in a day or two.  As a member you will get an email.

3.  There are some helpful hints at this site from LA ... Some "stuff" we do not do here due to less people at events and there is no need to be quite as organized as they are down south:

http://forums.sascsolo.com/index.php/topic,136.0.html

4.  There is plenty of general info right here on this forum such as this:

http://forums.sascsolo.com/index.php/board,6.0.html

5.  We also have a facebook page.  Just search for "Southern Alberta Solosport Club" ...

6.  And, of course, it is always good to ask questions here and/or on the FB page.

7.  Car classes (note that modifications will likely move you into "higher" classes etc.).

Reijo

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 02:31:58 PM »
Couple of things:

1.  Show up to the event and make sure you have emptied your car of anything you do not need at the site.  Anything you bring in the car that is loose should be removed prior to running so "stuff" does not end up under your pedals.  "Stuff" WILL fly around ...

2.  FYI:  The autox/solo lines are quite a bit different than track days ... as is car set-up etc.

3.  You will need higher tire pressures .... so an air tank or fast air pump would be useful to have .... With the low speed, high G loading you will need more pressure than on a track.  And, a good tire pressure gage is a must in case you don't have one.

4.  You will need a 2005 or newer Snell-approved helmet - can be open or close face and even motorcycle helmet that are Snell-approved are acceptable as a minimum (by default SA helmets are acceptable).

R

trophy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 03:14:49 PM »
Thanks Reijo,  We have met on a number of occasions, I think we have even swapped seats at a few schools as well...

My car will be in the highest class I suspect, its easier to list what is stock that what isn't :)

I will join and try and get to a couple of events,

From a sound perspective, what are the limits at the different venues?

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 03:47:50 PM »
Ah, interesting you ask!

We are limiting our events to 93 db as per SCCA Solo specs (50' perpendicular to the track basically) since we have lost venues in the past due to noise complaints and also for our workers hearing's benefit.

We just felt that we needed to do something about this ... bought a sound meter and we log all the events now as an indicator that we are trying to do something about sound and trying to keep it down.

Is your car very loud?

Obviously a straight pipe will be too much and some of the louder "street" exhausts will be louder than 93 db. 

As an example, I have an Invidia exhaust (louder than most S2000 aftermarket cat-back exhausts.  I still have my stock cat in place) on my S2000 which has a cap on the back.  If I remove the cap it is almost exactly perfect in that I have regularly competed at San Diego and been under their 93 db limit.  With the cap installed I drop about 2db+.

Reijo

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 03:57:17 PM »
OH yes, your name does "ring a bell" ... been a while I guess!   :)

R

trophy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 04:00:31 PM »
The car is on the louder side, i do have a valve I can flip to reduce db somewhat...  Have never had it measured so would really be a case of try it and see i guess.

It is probably a little louder than a GT3 exhaust, it does have a muffler but no cats..

trophy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 04:01:01 PM »
OH yes, your name does "ring a bell" ... been a while I guess!   :)

R

Yes, it has probably been at least 5 years..

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11454
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 17
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 12
Total: 12