Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:26:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

9 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: YYC 3 event details  (Read 2771 times)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
YYC 3 event details
« on: September 20, 2016, 03:31:21 PM »
I think the best option is to concentrate on us running the events more efficiently at this time ...  100 entries should not be an issue at all and we should easily be able to do two full events in a day.

That means helping out setting up the course, getting cones and equipment from the storage (5 min. away/a few km), and generally doing whatever needs to be done.

Also, during the day of the event if we want to do more runs then we need to be better at working the course and running for downed cones, positioning workers near cones that are likely to be hit, being prompt in grid/lining up, being ready to run when at the line (e.g. no doing up of belts, helmets etc. at the line ... This should be done in the grid prior to moving), worker change-overs and generally anything that takes time.

We will also be running 3 run groups according to our last discussions so there is no lunch break other than when you have time off so that will save an hour + .

So, we have to work together.  That is the bottom line.  I know we can do well if we put our minds to it.   :)

Reijo

Reijo

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Re: YYC 3 event details
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 03:38:26 PM »
There are 80 entries right now (including Allan Berg ... of Allan Berg Racing Schools I believe?  I don't think he has ever run with us before) with a cap of 90 set.

That would be 30 cars per run group (3 run groups).  That should be enough for manning all stations.  We will also spread the man power a little differently this time with places such as slaloms getting more workers than say some sweeper areas where cones are seldom hit.  At slaloms we need at least 3 - radio person and 2 runners minimum....maybe even 3.  That way the runners can stand beside the 2nd and 3rd cones as a minimum (the most likely cones to be hit) and can easily run/pick up cones as they are hit.  Note that they should have spare cones WITH them where they are in case a cone gets dragged away so they do not have to run back to the base station or elsewhere to get spares.

So, even working a corner/cones can be refined so as to not delay the event.  Is this new?  For us, yes.  But this is what is done at larger SCCA events and bigger regions such as LA ... not rocket science and I'm sure we are just as capable as they are with a few pointers to get us "in tune".

Reijo

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 04:12:05 PM »
For the course design, Cam and I were thinking the same thing at the last meeting!   :)

Often in the past I have brought back course designs (or elements thereof) from the Packwood NT or the SCCA Nats etc.) from the 'States so we get a little taste of what is happening down there.

This time the West Course at Nationals was quite different and interesting in some ways.  Some people did not like it.  I'm sure the winners were ok with it.   :)

Anyway, there was a lot of line choice and big, big open sweepers essentially so I'll be doing a take on those types of elements for the course design this coming weekend at YYC.  Hmmm....maybe I can use some of the corner names too!?   :)

Reijo

Terry Johns

• :|
  • "It's the nut behind the wheel that's the problem"
    • View Profile
    • Solutions Life Coaching
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 05:30:03 PM »
sounds good  :)
Terry Johns #8. 2015 CS Miata
Car is reasonably competitive, shame about the driver

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 06:07:49 PM »
I took the timing system home to give it a checkup.  The display board needed a new battery
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 06:12:47 PM »
Should we do something to encourage ride-alongs for people that are shy?  Perhaps a big orange dot on the windshield to show that the driver accepts (and encourages) passengers.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 06:29:12 PM »
Should we do something to encourage ride-alongs for people that are shy?  Perhaps a big orange dot on the windshield to show that the driver accepts (and encourages) passengers.

Yes, we had tried some ideas already with some success ... trying to get people to ride along BEFORE their first run and also having an instructor or two as a work assignment to ride along so people do not get lost and have some idea of what to do.  But we can do more ... some kind of identification for newbies would be good ... instructors could stay at the start and hop in as they come up for instance.

That would also speed up the event; less off-courses, people driving faster right away/less delay.

On the other hand they may need help in the pits and more so in the grid also ... hmmmm

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 06:30:33 PM »
Time for a novice coordinator?

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 06:38:06 PM »
See the other topic for time calculations for the event ... I suggest we send out cars at 23 seconds or less apart.

R

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 07:59:30 PM »
85 entries ... 5 spots left.

R

Sprockett

• Global Moderator
  • That cone is still in the box!
  • My cars = For Sale
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 09:27:56 PM »

This time the West Course at Nationals was quite different and interesting in some ways.  Some people did not like it.  I'm sure the winners were ok with it.   :)

Anyway, there was a lot of line choice and big, big open sweepers essentially so I'll be doing a take on those types of elements for the course design this coming weekend at YYC.  Hmmm....maybe I can use some of the corner names too!?   :)

Reijo

My take on the west course was that it looked like a bunch of big sweepers from the course map but it drove pinchy and slow and was totally a point and shoot course. The finish was seriously super fast but of the rest of the course the slalom was actually the fastest section. So while there were a couple interesting elements at least in principle, i don't think it was a course worth imitating.

At the risk of sounding critical

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 10:09:31 PM »
Well, maybe I can take the far apart elements and make them more interesting.  One comment I heard a few times was that there were some tight parts (which it seems like you said Ryan) that sort of ruined the course.  Why have wide open areas and then tight ones where there was no line choice?

Anyway, maybe I can take the best of it and open up the tight parts?  Or rather put my spin on it?

Anyway, I have not anything on it yet other than print the map out and looked at it during the event when you all were running it. 

R

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11455
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 8
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 9