Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:34:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

13 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Getting started  (Read 3559 times)

Terry Johns

• :|
  • "It's the nut behind the wheel that's the problem"
    • View Profile
    • Solutions Life Coaching
Getting started
« on: September 27, 2016, 04:48:04 AM »
Great event at the weekend and great course Reijo, best yet.

Looking at everything that went on Sunday and considering we had 90 + people on track I think it was amazing, can we improve, yes, I believe so and below are my suggestions..

To start on time at 10.00 we need to work backwards. What has to have happened by 10.00

Drivers meeting needs to start at 9.30, & be over by 9.45. Last weekends drivers meeting started at 9.50 and then we had the newbie Track walk, which is why first car didn't run till gone 10.30.

I suggest we have the newbie Track Walk BEFORE the Drivers meeting. I would also suggest that we have an additional table at registration to assist newbies deal with their paper work and classing issues in order that it doesn't slow down the flow for others.

I believe that starting on time at 10.00 would have given us 1 additional run. I would also like to suggest that we cap the number at 90 MAX. Yes its great to see new people out, but we can accommodate everybody.

Terry Johns #8. 2015 CS Miata
Car is reasonably competitive, shame about the driver

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Re: Getting started
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 05:04:05 AM »
Thanks Terry.

Something I noted:   The first heat took about 2 hours mainly due to timing issues.  In the afternoon the same heat took 1 hour!  So I would say we lost one run due to timing equipment malfunctions.  I spoke with Murray during the day a couple of times and it appears that we need to replace some of the timing senders/units since they are becoming unreliable ... happens to most things including electronics.  They have notably lived a harsh life too with scratches and rubber marks on them that I noted yesterday.  Murray had mentioned that maybe we need to move over to a Farmtek system.

R

Terry Johns

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 05:32:49 AM »
Really

I must be missing something hear, what does the timing issues have to do with starting at 10.30 +. I get it we need to replace the timing components. If peoples suggestions aren't heard or acknowledged then folks will stop trying to find solutions.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 06:02:15 AM »
Really

I must be missing something hear, what does the timing issues have to do with starting at 10.30 +. I get it we need to replace the timing components. If peoples suggestions aren't heard or acknowledged then folks will stop trying to find solutions.

Not dissing your point and agree that we can do that .... however  we also lost an hour due to timing equipment etc.

So we could have saved 1.5 hrs. ... and more with other improvements ... We have lots of work to do.

R

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 09:18:18 AM »
There were other problems that need to be addressed.

Run groups were quite unevenly sized.  I have seen this before with a lot of rookies -- they forget their class, or think it is different from what they registered, or even decide to jump groups to run with their buddies.  In any case, I believe we need to divide up the groups "kindergarten style" at the driver's meeting.  Which means the meeting will need to start a few minutes earlier.  This will also handle those that have special needs with respect to which run group they are in.

If we aren't going to assign run groups ahead of time, then we could make it much easier for registration by just forcing people to pay ahead of time on Motorsportreg.  That way, the registration desk would be only for people to sign the waiver, get a course map, and check their info on a big registration sheet and initial it.  The computer check in would only be required for those that have made changes to their registered info (i.e. doesn't match what is on the printed sheet).  This should help registration move much faster.

When I was running timing, I people were coming up to timing to ask questions (some of them pretty bizarre).  At a smaller event, it wouldn't have fazed me, but timing was hectic that day.  We need to have several people that are the "go to" people for questions or problems during the day, and have them introduced during the driver's meeting.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

BrianHemming

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 10:27:51 AM »
Random thoughts from the other side of the mountains.....

Farmtek is cheap and works well.  Pretty much all the BC clubs are using it now along with Murray's software.  Our timing issues have significantly decreased.  The only thing you have to watch with the Farmtek stuff is that the receiver has a clear line of sight and is away from other electronic interference.  The Pitt Meadows clubs have replaced the antenna on the receiver and the transmitters to increase the distance/reliability.  It's well worth the money - nothing slows down the event or annoys people more than timing failures.

I strongly recommend only allowing registration by MSReg - no cash and no late comers.  That way you can have the run groups and work assignments done the night before.   Registration desk can then be staffed by pretty much anyone which frees up time for the organizers.  Check off name, confirm car and class, confirm barcode, inform driver when they work and when they run (make them aware it's not optional).  Any problems ie class changes are sent to chief of timing or chief of workers.  Typically that's only a handful of people and it takes the stress level way down.

Car classing - I find that it is easier if someone with a broad knowledge of classing reviews the registration list before hand.  Instead of letting someone run in a class that is clearly wrong I just move them.  If I'm not sure then I move them to a harder class - like if I'm really not sure then I move them to A-Mod.  When they see their name at the bottom of the list they are way more likely to get it corrected than if they appear to have done well.  Your guy in BS in an M3 is a prime example - I would have just moved him to the right class.  We also typically post the results as "conditional" so corrections can be made if necessary.

We have a chief of novices.  Novices are rounded up before the drivers meeting and taken for a guided course walk.  Basic rules like downed cones, red flags, what's expected from course workers etc are covered in more depth than they are in the regular drivers meeting.   That also gives novices a go to person that they recognize if they have a problem/question.

We schedule our drivers meetings quite early.  Most days we literally have drivers sitting at the start line waiting for the clock to count down so we can send the car out at exactly 9:30 (we can't run before that due to noise restrictions). 

Terry Johns

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 10:49:26 AM »
I like your suggestions, unfortunately our club isn't run based on chiefs it's run by who can ever help out on the day

BrianHemming

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 11:07:33 AM »
I like your suggestions, unfortunately our club isn't run based on chiefs it's run by who can ever help out on the day

"Chief" is nothing official - it's simply used to identify who might have that job that day.  Something like Chief of Workers, or Chief of Novices is almost always a different person for every race.  You can call them "Today's Novice Leader" or whatever if that makes it sound less important.  Qualification for most "Chief" positions is that you've been to a couple races.

Point is that most clubs have around 5 key people that are setting up the course, timing, registration etc.  By delegating some of the work it makes the whole experience more efficient. 

Chief of Novices for instance does not need to be an All-Star driver with 20 years of experience.  It needs to be someone who can lead a course walk and throw out the cliche "slower is faster", "build up your speed once you know the course", "look for the key cones", etc.  It needs to be someone who knows the basic rules of downed cones and leaner/pointer cones.  Most importantly it needs to be someone who is patient and approachable.  It's also a great job for someone who isn't physically able to chase cones 

Registration desk is another example (see how I didn't call them Chief of Registration  :P).  Whoever is in charge of timing is trying to get the computer setup, drivers entered, lights working, etc - they really don't need to talk to 90 people simply to check their name off the list - they only need to talk to the 5 people that need to change their class/car

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 11:09:39 AM »
Actually we are discussing these types of things already ... novice coordinator position and notice all the new positions listed on the worker sign-up sheet?  We did that and added positions (such as an extra person in grid to handle the busier and larger pits at YYC) to ensure we cover tasks that need to be done.

There is more coming on that front shortly ... likely at the next YYC event on October 8th.

So, there is more to come.

BrianHemming

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 11:28:03 AM »
Actually we are discussing these types of things already ...

Yeah - I figured.  I know the guys at the top have a ton of organizational experience and a couple of them even know how to drive a little bit  :P  :o  :-X

Sprockett

• Global Moderator
  • That cone is still in the box!
  • My cars = For Sale
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 11:33:23 AM »
Your comments and suggested are appreciated Brian. When are you going to come up here?

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 11:44:49 AM »
Yeah, I'm with Ryan here ... comments are always appreciated and you have some good ones in this thread, Brian!   :)

R

BrianHemming

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 11:49:09 AM »
Your comments and suggested are appreciated Brian. When are you going to come up here?

Just trying to help - not meaning to step on toes.  Maybe save some trial and error since I see lots of events this size run by similar clubs (experience at the top and tons of novices). 

We were planning on coming for Oct 8, but I don't think it's going to work out for Jim.  I really wanted to come check it out - still might register and just bring one of my other cars that I don't have to trailer.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11454
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 25
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 13
Total: 13