Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 02:47:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

10 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: New from Lethbridge  (Read 4246 times)

NoPulp

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
    • NoPulp Photography
New from Lethbridge
« on: October 19, 2016, 03:14:04 PM »
Hey guys!

I've been dreaming of owning a track dedicated car for awhile and I finally pulled the trigger on a 2004 Mustang GT not too long ago. It's not in the best shape, but it was cheap and seems to a great starting point. It did come with some modifications, which I'm assuming will bump the class. I'm hoping to keep the car mostly as is for now and focus on seat time, I don't have a ton of racing experience. I'll worry about making the car competitive later.

Track Car - 2004 GT by Richard Brown, on Flickr

1994 & 2004 Mustangs by Richard Brown, on Flickr

So I have a lot of learning to do! If someone could point me in the right direction to learn how to start that would be awesome!

I do understand there is a sound limit? The car does have exhaust (x pipe and catback) , it doesn't seem very loud to me compared to my other vehicles. Would I be able to attend an event and see if it passes? If it doesn't then I can address it and come back to the next event?

Over the winter I'm planning on going through the car to make sure it's mechanically sound and safe for the track. I'm also hoping that LSCC car get ICE-X going near Barons this year again, would like to throw some winter tires on and have some fun in the off season.

I'm excited for next season! Hoping to attend lots of events. I also like to do photography (NoPulp Photography), so hopefully I can contribute some photos to the club! I did attend a couple events in 2015 in Fort Macleod to take photos, I think some of those photos were posted on here by a member.

Thanks!
-Richard

E6Cueman

• Administrator
  • That cone is still in the box!
  • Delete All The Accounts
    • View Profile
    • [qr]GaraGe
Re: New from Lethbridge
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 07:40:09 PM »
Welcome.  Car and photos look great.

The best way to get started is to register and show up... although at this point we may not have much going on for solo events until spring.

Re: sound... I think if you still have a real muffler you'll likely be in the ballpark.

A helmet is needed, but the club has loaners for people who want to try an event out with out investing their own dollars in one first.

NoPulp

• View Profile
    • NoPulp Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 10:19:50 AM »
Thanks!

I have a HJC Helmet that I've been able to use for all the racing I've done so far, what does SASC require for ratings?
I think mine has a DOT rating? Will have to double check.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 10:36:16 AM »
Current ASN/FiA Canada requirement is a Snell-rated M2005 or newer.  Must be Snell rated ... DOT is not enough.  I have an older HJC and it is Snell-rated.   Those are harder to come by though ... club bought loaner helmets at GW Cycle just off Barlow Trail NE recently ... open-faced, Snell-rated ... Used to be able to go to any motorcycle shop but that is not the case ... Bow Cycle and others did not have Snell-rated open face helmets ... and some had none at all ... call ahead.

R

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 10:37:13 AM »
Think Shawn Bishop also has some Snell-rated ... albeit might be SA helmets which "may" be a bit more ... not always though.    www.rallysport.ca

zero10

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 11:21:37 AM »
I use a HJC CS-5, it is Snell M2005 rated so it's still eligible for at least a couple more years.  I bought it back in 2010 right before the 2010 rated helmets came out for about $70 at blackfoot motorsports.  After that time they have treated me so poorly that it pains me to recommend them but they might be the cheapest place if you find you need a new helmet.

For checking the rating, I believe mine only says DOT on the back but inside if you pull back the padding there is a SNELL certification sticker.  Check all around on yours.
2016/2017 CSCC Autoslalom Director

NoPulp

• View Profile
    • NoPulp Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 11:54:12 AM »
Thanks guys!

I think you are correct Zero. I'm picturing a DOT sticker on the back, but I think the snell rating was a factor in the decision when purchasing. I'll have to check it tonight.

I'll have to find some time to read all the rules as well, I'm considering buying a FIA fixed back seat.

nnywg

• :|
  • My car is not a car.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 01:34:02 PM »
GW Cycle in Calgary are excellent and knowledgeable.  They have lots of stock from different brands so you can find one that fits instead of playing internet roulette and hoping something fits.
Accidental collector of oddball Toyotas, Truck Racer, and Nürburgring veteran.
#tetanustruck on IG

ZiG

• Locost 7 #303
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 04:33:50 PM »
I got my helmet at Mopac, they had open face and full, Snell 2015, ~$230 for the open version.

Regarding sound there's a dB meter at the track. If you're close, they'll warn you. If you're over, you can't run again until you address it. I've only seen one car turned away this year and it was ungodly loud. 93dB is the limit.

NoPulp

• View Profile
    • NoPulp Photography
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 05:03:49 PM »
So my helmet says that it is SNELL/DOT approved. I can't find any markings on it for the actual SNELL rating.
The Helmet is a HJC CL-16. It's no longer in production, so I can't find manufacture's info. Online retail info says that it meets snell 2010 safety standards.

Will this helmet pass?
Or should I invest in a new one? I have no issues buying a new helmet if it's needed.

Stuart

• Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 05:43:58 PM »
All Snell rated helmets have a sticker under the padding.  They will look like one of the ones on this link http://www.smf.org/cert.html  Without the sticker it becomes tough for any official at the event to verify (although the link does have a lookup function)

NoPulp

• View Profile
    • NoPulp Photography
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 05:58:34 PM »
Found it! Was looking under the wrong padding.
It's a m2010, so all good!

94boosted

• Administrator
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 09:35:38 PM »

Regarding sound there's a dB meter at the track. If you're close, they'll warn you. If you're over, you can't run again until you address it. I've only seen one car turned away this year and it was ungodly loud. 93dB is the limit.

That's right, we measure SPL @ 50' perpendicular to the track at a portion of the course where a car is reasonably expected to be at WOT.

We have had a stock car fail (Shelby GT 350) as well as some cars with just headers or just cat backs.
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11444
  • Total Topics: 1569
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online