Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:05:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

13 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: New to the forum  (Read 4226 times)

BMW Rider

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
  • As noob as they get
    • View Profile
New to the forum
« on: November 20, 2016, 06:29:21 PM »
Just signed up to the forum after some amount of lurking over the past year or so. I plan to join the club as well once memberships come online for next year. I would like to get out to watch some of the local events, hopefully here in Calgary next year. I was not able to get to the ones held here this year as my shift schedule had me working most of those weekends.

I'm still building my 79 Mustang, so won't have a car to enter for a bit longer. I doubt it'll be ready for next year, but maybe late in the season if things go well. Most likely though it'll be 2018 before i"m done it. It's going out for body and paint work very soon. I'm a total novice to autocross or any kind of racing for that matter, but want to get out and drive the car in a manner that is a lot more fun than is allowed on the roads. The car is going to be classed way way above my skill set, but I'm not really worried as it has been fun building it. Mostly I've been building the car as I want it to be and will figure out where that lands it in the classification, but it looks like it will fall into the Prepared class. Hopefully I'll learn enough to drive it somewhere close to its potential.
1979 Mustang Coupe - under construction.

nnywg

• :|
  • My car is not a car.
    • View Profile
Re: New to the forum
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 08:50:46 AM »
Welcome.  I'm a big fan of building the car I want to drive every day, and just running whatever class it winds up in. 
Accidental collector of oddball Toyotas, Truck Racer, and Nürburgring veteran.
#tetanustruck on IG

Stuart

• That cone is still in the box!
  • Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 09:36:54 AM »
You might also be able to run in the CAM-T class, depending on what has been modified.

BMW Rider

• As noob as they get
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 04:26:01 PM »
I think it is too modified to fit in the CAM-T class. There are even a couple points in the prepared rules I might have pushed. I'm hoping that those won't be huge issues as I really don't want to go up any further. I am not really looking to compete so much as just get out and have fun driving it. Hopefully if there is ever a track built nearby, i can get out for a few track sessions with it too.

Stuart

• That cone is still in the box!
  • Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 04:45:17 PM »
CAM-T is pretty open when it comes to powertrain and suspension but I definitely can't judge without details.  As for tracks, there seems to be hope in the near future and Castrol really isn't that far away.

BMW Rider

• As noob as they get
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 07:20:04 PM »
I had another look at the CAM-T rules. The biggest issue will be the interior which is stripped. I am doing aluminum panels on most of it and the dash is also fabricated from aluminum. If that is OK, then that class would work, but it does come at a weight penalty over the Prepared class. I don't have a final weight for the car yet; it might not be an issue anyway. I hope to be under 3000 lbs though which is the requirement in CAM-T

I have used a complete suspension system from Maximum Motorsports on the car with coil overs which is why the car would seem to need to be in the prepared class. The two things that I am unsure on being in excess of the rules are the front K Member which I'm unclear if it might be restricted by 17.2.D. The front K member and control arms also affect 17.8.B.4 as it relocates the front wheels 1.5" forward which is more than the allowed 1". I can't figure out if that excludes it from the Prepared class or simply applies a weight penalty.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 08:32:22 PM »
Welcome!

If you are not worried about being competitive, just go into Mod class and you can do almost anything you want ... almost.

R

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 08:34:28 PM »
'79 Mustang ... and I assume a 5.0 in it ... would be CP or if you go into mod, E-Mod.

BMW Rider

• As noob as they get
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 09:22:02 PM »
Yes, its a 5.0, sort of. It's actually a 68 J code 302 at .040 over for 307 cu in.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 09:56:57 PM »
Check out 4:42 of the 2014 Speedway SCCA Nats video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX-hAJV3iNM#t=283.971375

BMW Rider

• As noob as they get
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 10:23:33 PM »
Check out 4:42 of the 2014 Speedway SCCA Nats video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX-hAJV3iNM#t=283.971375

Great video, that would be a 74-78 Mustang II. Mine is 79 which was the first of the Fox body. I did spot a 79 Pace car Mustang at 2:24

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 09:50:13 AM »
Ah....for some reason I thought you had the Mustang II ... my error.  Didn't realize the Fox body came out so early ... used to have quite a few of them running in our events years ago ... mostly late '80's ... Actually Shannon Wall (Western Motorsports ... maybe you know of them) and the owner of Shannon's old red 1982 Mustang have been running our YYC events ...

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11442
  • Total Topics: 1569
  • Online Today: 14
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 13
Total: 13