Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:59:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

6 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: Autocross -- the "cheap" motorsport  (Read 3988 times)

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
    • View Profile
Autocross -- the "cheap" motorsport
« on: December 22, 2016, 02:03:16 PM »
I added up our costs for autox for the last year -- you *really* don't wan't to know how much Jo and I spent in 2016.  However, one interesting item was that we spent just over $2200 in Motorsportreg fees this year.  Cheap sport -- yeah, right :)
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Stuart

• That cone is still in the box!
  • Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
Re: Autocross -- the "cheap" motorsport
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 04:19:49 PM »
That is pretty cheap for motorsports.  I figure those MSR fees would have covered roughly one race weekend for me...when things don't break...like the engine and transmission that I destroyed last year.  But in the end it's only money and there is so much enjoyment that comes from racing at every level.  ;D

nnywg

• :|
  • My car is not a car.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 04:35:35 PM »
And you guys take things quite seriously Murray - how many events does that 2200 cover?  The nice thing about AutoX is that you can be on most any budget - it's a bring-what-you-got thing.  Certainly if you love it and want to take things further, then costs do add up, as they would in any sport.  What I really want to know is the ratio between MSR and Halfshaft replacement costs.  :P

Stuart, just come back to AutoX again.  No exploding mechanicals, just exploding cones.
Accidental collector of oddball Toyotas, Truck Racer, and Nürburgring veteran.
#tetanustruck on IG

Midnightsky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 08:13:23 PM »
Could be worse, like Rally :o now that's an expensive hobby especially if you have an "off"
2022 Subaru BRZ 2.4L WRB Betty
2017 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L SOLD

JamesTCallaghan

• If you aren't hitting any cones, try harder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 08:43:41 PM »
Everything costs money, it's just some things bring more joy for the money.

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 10:40:34 PM »
And you guys take things quite seriously Murray - how many events does that 2200 cover?

21 events (that is splitting Jo and myself out a separate events)

What I really want to know is the ratio between MSR and Halfshaft replacement costs.  :P

The $2200 in MSR fees ratio adds up to a lot for the year.  I don't have exact numbers, but my guess is about $20000 :o  Tires ($5000), hotels(unknown), fuel ($2000), car maintenance and repairs ($6000) , meals when travelling (unknown).  And, of course, beer (known but silly) :)

Stuart is right though -- it is cheap for motorsports.
2017 Miata (C Street)

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 10:44:40 PM »
BTW, I should make it very clear here -- I am not complaining.  It really is worth every penny I spend, and I have found that travelling to events that are "away" might be expensive, but well worth the time and money.  It is so much fun to see how other clubs run their events, and even more fun to compete with new people. 
2017 Miata (C Street)

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 12:51:14 AM »
That is pretty cheap for motorsports.  I figure those MSR fees would have covered roughly one race weekend for me...when things don't break...like the engine and transmission that I destroyed last year.  But in the end it's only money and there is so much enjoyment that comes from racing at every level.  ;D

^^^
Seconded. I road race a Spec Miata for a few years back in Seattle, and I found that it cost about as much to road race seriously at the local level as it did to autocross seriously at the national level (including doing several out-of-town events and Nationals). And that was in a relatively cheap class too...
Stephen Hui

Sprockett

• Global Moderator
  • My cars = For Sale
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 08:28:23 AM »
I've said it before...many of you likely have no idea how much some of us spend and have spent on this sport even if you think you do.

Murray's a brave man for even trying to add it up.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 11:00:30 AM »
Yep....some summers I have wondered where my money went.  However I was not as brave as Murray to add it all up!  hahaha   :)

Something else is the time involved.  How about a vacation to Lincoln for a week and a half (or a bit more)?

A one-way trip to LA or Lincoln is about 20 hrs of driving time (not including breaks) ... and that is in my S2000 ... not wasting any time. 

Packwood is much closer and is in the order of 12 hours of driving.  Sometimes I have spent the week in between at Packwood hiking and even working (if I have reports to write or minor design to do).  Saves me the 12 hrs. each way to return the following weekend but I'm lucky in that I can work on the road (sometimes anyway).

Reijo

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 12:05:14 PM »
Murray's a brave man for even trying to add it up.

No bravery involved.  I retired this year, so we are on a fixed income; you would be amazed at how that makes you look at your expenditures :)
2017 Miata (C Street)

Locotoy

• 2020 Member
  • Post count = number of righteous photos taken.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 01:40:57 PM »
To borrow a quote from Team CIPHeR…

"Racing is an addiction that can only be cured by poverty." :P

I'm not proud of it but not having competed in an Autocross event since 2012, I can say that I am fucking cured, being flat broke and all. :(
Ian Gulinao
#48 STX, 2014 Toyobaru FRS

Wayne Dyck

• 2020 Member
  • "If You Wait, All That Happens is You Get Older"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 07:32:03 PM »
I've said it before...many of you likely have no idea how much some of us spend and have spent on this sport even if you think you do.

No matter the passion... It's Time and Money well wasted.

Mario Andretti summed it all up, for me at least... "If you wait, all that happens is you get older!"
#180 DS
"For the money, for the glory, for the fun... but mostly for the fun."

zero10

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 08:54:23 AM »
Those numbers can be pretty intimidating for somebody trying to get into the sport.  I'd like to speak a bit about my financial adventure in the world of autocross.

I compete in a car that I paid $1040 for 3 years ago, and before that I was racing a $700 RX-7 that I bought in 2011.  In both cases I had to put a few hundred in parts into the cars to make them safe for competition before I could run them but total investment in each car was well under $1500.  I do all my own work so labour costs are not a problem and I find working on cars to be relaxing (generally).

I usually set aside $500 for car repairs/upgrades each year.    Typically this gets me something like wheel bearings and bushings, camber plates, or (maybe next year) adjustable control arms.  With such a small budget this means that I must try to work on perfecting my control of the car I have rather than making radical changes each year.

I also usually spend about $500/year on tires.  Looking back the receipts I can find look like this: (those 2012 RS3s really did last me until partway through 2014)
2011 - Sumitomo all-seasons: $190
2012 - RS3s: $480
2014 - 4 BF Goodrich Rivals: $450
2015 - 2 RS3s for the front $360
2016 - 2 RS3s for the front again: $320
2017 - 4 Bridgestone RE-71Rs: $560

I then budget around $500 for fuel and entry fees.  I leverage volunteering with the CSCC to help reduce the cost of the events and the focus is pretty economical, only using about 35-40L to drive round-trip to Red Deer and compete in an event.  For 2017 I am increasing this part of the budget so I can attend some Fort Macleod and YYC events but I am hoping to stay under $1000.

Adding this up, a year of competition costs me between $800 and $1600 depending on how much travelling I do and how hard I am on the tires.  2017 may be a bit more expensive but I might give up the planned car upgrades to keep the cost under control.

One final thing: I almost didn't post this because I don't want to come off as being smug.  This isn't meant to be a "hey, I have just as much fun as you do for less money" post, what I want to do is encourage people to come out and enjoy themselves!
2016/2017 CSCC Autoslalom Director

94boosted

• Administrator
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 10:11:00 AM »
My Hoosiers cost me $0.66/second (of running time) last season, don't ask why I bothered to break it down like that but I did haha. Purple Crack.

I'd rather not think about the costs, just focus on the fun and enjoyment it brings.
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11442
  • Total Topics: 1569
  • Online Today: 11
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online