Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:05:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

9 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Tire Choices 2017  (Read 5022 times)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Re: Tire Choices 2017
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2017, 02:41:58 PM »
Membership is $55 I believe ...  Gas is also cheapest in town typically.

Midnightsky

• :|
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2017, 02:54:06 PM »
Not sure i want the membership, id never buy gas there, but i suppose they also have decent deals on furniture and the occasional electronics.  I guess it might be worth the membership in the long run.
2022 Subaru BRZ 2.4L WRB Betty
2017 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L SOLD

nnywg

• My car is not a car.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2017, 04:33:14 PM »
You need a membership or someone with a membership to order them for you.  Shouldn't be too hard to find though.
Accidental collector of oddball Toyotas, Truck Racer, and Nürburgring veteran.
#tetanustruck on IG

majormojo

• That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2017, 07:14:29 PM »
You might prefer the RE760 or the Continental DW.

I really like the DW for a non competition tire.

+1. I have the DW's as my "off-season" tires on the Cayman.
Jim W, #24
WCMA Licensing Director

zero10

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 09:07:28 AM »
The costco tire pricing is crazy cheap.  A warning - if you are ordering a non-standard size for your vehicle or the tires you are buying are not of the same or higher load rating as what your car came with they won't do it.  The workaround is to bring the wheels in loose - when I spoke to them they said the rule was that they couldn't INSTALL tires that didn't meet these specs, and that technically meant mount on the vehicle.

I had to do that to get the RE-71Rs for my focus since 205/50R15 is not the same as 195/60R15 and the RE-71Rs were 1 lower on the load rating than the stock tires.
2016/2017 CSCC Autoslalom Director

Midnightsky

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2017, 09:47:44 AM »
The costco tire pricing is crazy cheap.  A warning - if you are ordering a non-standard size for your vehicle or the tires you are buying are not of the same or higher load rating as what your car came with they won't do it.  The workaround is to bring the wheels in loose - when I spoke to them they said the rule was that they couldn't INSTALL tires that didn't meet these specs, and that technically meant mount on the vehicle.

I had to do that to get the RE-71Rs for my focus since 205/50R15 is not the same as 195/60R15 and the RE-71Rs were 1 lower on the load rating than the stock tires.

Good to know, but Costco will never be allowed to mount tires for me, Ive got a guy lol.

nnywg

• My car is not a car.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2017, 01:18:21 PM »
Good to know, but Costco will never be allowed to mount tires for me, Ive got a guy lol.

This is Key.  I've had multiple bad experiences with their installers and have had to go elsewhere for re-balancing/mounting.  I have it on good authority that Mr. Kyle H at SpecR is excellent to deal with, so will try there next time.
Accidental collector of oddball Toyotas, Truck Racer, and Nürburgring veteran.
#tetanustruck on IG

Midnightsky

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2017, 05:06:37 PM »

This is Key.  I've had multiple bad experiences with their installers and have had to go elsewhere for re-balancing/mounting.  I have it on good authority that Mr. Kyle H at SpecR is excellent to deal with, so will try there next time.

I have dealt with him many times before always positive experiences.  For me its scheduling conflicts and I ended up finding a retired guy with everything in his home garage.  He does all my tire mounting/patching holes now as I can see him during the evenings or weekends. Excellent service and great pricing so I can't go wrong.  My backup options are Kyle or Vex, cant ask for better backup options 8)

Dirtyspoons

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2017, 01:48:41 PM »
Not sure i want the membership, id never buy gas there, but i suppose they also have decent deals on furniture and the occasional electronics.  I guess it might be worth the membership in the long run.

when i looked into it a few years ago i found out that costco gas is the same a shell gas just with out the juicy additives. also they usualy have more customers per day so the gas is more "fresh" i diden't have a problem buying gas there for my vehicles but on race day i always used a higher octain from husky or petro, or shell ... but i just have such a hard time buying tires and getting any sort of automotave goodies from them. for some reason it just dosen't seem right to me... kinda like cheating... if i find a car to drive next year i'll just order tires from work or through Spec R.  :P

Midnightsky

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2017, 10:53:11 PM »

when i looked into it a few years ago i found out that costco gas is the same a shell gas just with out the juicy additives. also they usualy have more customers per day so the gas is more "fresh" i diden't have a problem buying gas there for my vehicles but on race day i always used a higher octain from husky or petro, or shell ... but i just have such a hard time buying tires and getting any sort of automotave goodies from them. for some reason it just dosen't seem right to me... kinda like cheating... if i find a car to drive next year i'll just order tires from work or through Spec R.  :P

I actually spoke to Kyle at Spec R and made arrangements to buy my tires thru them.  Going with Potenza RE760's and hopefully they meets my needs for a summer tire. 

FrozenMarzBar3

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2017, 03:00:15 PM »
Glad you were able to find something that works for you.

I had a set of very worn RE71r's that were well past the wear bars, and I ran them. A few fun facts:

- Turn-in response with these tires is great.
- The worn RE71r's have more grip then a set of Hankook RS3's mounted on a similar car.
- They have ZERO grip in the rain! If you run them in the wet, you will probably die.  :-X
Cole M.

JamesTCallaghan

• If you aren't hitting any cones, try harder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2017, 04:16:41 PM »

I had a set of very worn RE71r's that were well past the wear bars, and I ran them. A few fun facts:

- The worn RE71r's have more grip then a set of Hankook RS3's mounted on a similar car.
- They have ZERO grip in the rain! If you run them in the wet, you will probably die.  :-X

And yet you still drove to Fort McLeod on them in a rainstorm lol.

Zach S

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2017, 11:48:37 PM »
I ran RE71R's that last rainy almost snowy event in Calgary and they were great haha.

FrozenMarzBar3

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2017, 09:02:49 PM »
I ran RE71R's that last rainy almost snowy event in Calgary and they were great haha.

They are a great rain tire if they have tread lol
Cole M.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11444
  • Total Topics: 1569
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0