Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:57:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

11 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: James's EP Civic  (Read 2481 times)

JamesTCallaghan

• That cone is still in the box!
  • If you aren't hitting any cones, try harder.
    • View Profile
James's EP Civic
« on: March 19, 2017, 07:16:56 PM »
Alright guys time for me to start over as a novice again! I need to class my car for this season. It's a 1997 Honda Civic Hatch with a K20A2 engine from a Acura RSX Type S. It has a 6 speed transmission out of an Accord Euro R with a shortened final drive and Wavetrac LSD. Full adjustable suspension/arm upgrades, mix match of ITR/S2000/EP3 brakes, 15x8 wheels with 205-225 R Compound tires.

I believe the car sits somewhere in a prep class?

Also any tips for someone who has never competitively driven a FWD car before?

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
    • View Profile
Re: Jame's EP Civic
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 10:10:55 PM »

You are a good driver, so you will figure it out in a hurry.  At best, you can enter a corner a little bit hot and use the throttle to keep your front end "in front" through the corner.  At worst, make sure you have braked enough to prevent throttle-off spin-out because you went into a corner too hot.  It's a fine balance, but a lot of fun.  And if you don't have an LSD, then all of your mental energy (and throttle control) goes towards keeping the inside front wheel from spinning like a jet engine.  No LSD usually means slower corner entry. An LSD allows you to hammer through a corner.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 12:36:33 AM »
Alright guys time for me to start over as a novice again! I need to class my car for this season. It's a 1997 Honda Civic Hatch with a K20A2 engine from a Acura RSX Type S. It has a 6 speed transmission out of an Accord Euro R with a shortened final drive and Wavetrac LSD. Full adjustable suspension/arm upgrades, mix match of ITR/S2000/EP3 brakes, 15x8 wheels with 205-225 R Compound tires.

sounds like most, if not all of those mods may be considered to be SM legal?  Is Acura considered a Honda equivalent?  Look into that.

FWD?  If the rear steps out, step on the gas to pull you straight ... :)

R

JamesTCallaghan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 07:56:58 AM »

You are a good driver, so you will figure it out in a hurry.  At best, you can enter a corner a little bit hot and use the throttle to keep your front end "in front" through the corner.  At worst, make sure you have braked enough to prevent throttle-off spin-out because you went into a corner too hot.  It's a fine balance, but a lot of fun.  And if you don't have an LSD, then all of your mental energy (and throttle control) goes towards keeping the inside front wheel from spinning like a jet engine.  No LSD usually means slower corner entry. An LSD allows you to hammer through a corner.

Lucky for me the car does have a proper LSD and it's aggressive because it would be fairly useless without one with how stiff it is and how short the final drive ratio is currently.

JamesTCallaghan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 07:57:59 AM »

sounds like most, if not all of those mods may be considered to be SM legal?  Is Acura considered a Honda equivalent?  Look into that.

FWD?  If the rear steps out, step on the gas to pull you straight ... :)

R

The car doesn't have much interior left so I think that pushes it past SM and into EP from what I see?

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 08:16:00 AM »
Ah, right .... you need a full interior in SM.  Off to Prepared you go!

Apex Carver

• Global Moderator
  • I Drive Like I'm New Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 08:49:08 AM »
That car should rotate quite nicely.

If it s anything like my old RSX-S, a bit of trail braking gets the rear to come around nicely.
Chris S. #86

JamesTCallaghan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 09:34:20 AM »
That car should rotate quite nicely.

If it s anything like my old RSX-S, a bit of trail braking gets the rear to come around nicely.

I hope so, the LSD is really going to help putting power down on corner exit too. This car is probably the closets thing I've driven to a Caterham in terms of feel. I just can't decide if I want to run standard 225/45/15 Nitto NT-01 or get a proper Hoosier or something for it.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 10:25:30 AM »
In Prepared you can run an actual race slick (get the A25/softest compound) ... huge grip and they are much, much lighter than even the Hoosier R's ... (no steel belts).  They can also be cheaper and last as long .... just get some light weight wheels for them ... maybe even go to 13" ... even lighter, lowers the car, ... more power/gearing.   Lots to consider there.

JamesTCallaghan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 11:25:50 AM »
In Prepared you can run an actual race slick (get the A25/softest compound) ... huge grip and they are much, much lighter than even the Hoosier R's ... (no steel belts).  They can also be cheaper and last as long .... just get some light weight wheels for them ... maybe even go to 13" ... even lighter, lowers the car, ... more power/gearing.   Lots to consider there.

15s are the smallest I can fit over my brakes currently I think. I would like to try some really sticky tires but not sure where to buy them from in Canada. The car certainly isn't short on power to weight ratio right now (2150lbs before fuel/driver) and close to 240 crank HP and the short 4.7 final drive really helps.

Stuart

• Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 11:43:18 AM »
15s are the smallest I can fit over my brakes currently I think. I would like to try some really sticky tires but not sure where to buy them from in Canada. The car certainly isn't short on power to weight ratio right now (2150lbs before fuel/driver) and close to 240 crank HP and the short 4.7 final drive really helps.

Any Hoosiers can be ordered from Gee & Gee in Leduc, they bring in all the different compounds and tread patterns (for the dirt oval guys) that are offered.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 12:00:10 PM »
Any number of places, Tire Rack, what Stuart mentioned, any Hoosier dealer, directly from Hoosier, Mid-Atlantic Motorsports, Talon Tire etc.

R

nnywg

• :|
  • My car is not a car.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 12:04:31 PM »

That sounds like good times  8)

There's a thread just down the side bar about special pricing for tires from Tirecraft on 32nd Ave. 
Accidental collector of oddball Toyotas, Truck Racer, and Nürburgring veteran.
#tetanustruck on IG

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 12:22:07 PM »
Get the slicks.  They'll be a blast ... and very, very fast.   :)

R

JamesTCallaghan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 09:38:30 AM »
Get the slicks.  They'll be a blast ... and very, very fast.   :)

R

I'm hoping to, I need to find a second set of wheels first though and that's proving somewhat difficult.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11449
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 17
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 11
Total: 11