Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:31:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

11 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: April 29, Practice/Novice School and April 30 1st Championship  (Read 2759 times)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Events are open for registration now.

Sunday, April 30 is the first of the joint CSCC/SASC Championship events for the season.

Reijo

Bitters

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
Re: April 29, Practice/Novice School and April 30 1st Championship
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 09:29:58 AM »
This is a different Novice school from the "L1" school where deposits were placed, right?

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 09:39:58 AM »
This is a different Novice school from the "L1" school where deposits were placed, right?

Yes, very different.

April 29 is for raw beginners with zero or little experience and taught by local instructors.  This is not to downplay the local instructors at all, since we have some great drivers in the club!  However the structure is not as organized as the SoloPro Schools ... less formal etc. etc.  People, I believe, have found them to be quite useful.

On the other hand, the SoloPro L1 school is more of a professional school and can be taken by people with a lot of experience (or even little).  The SoloPro Schools are taught by instructors who are SCCA National-level competitors (I am one of two SoloPro instructors in Canada btw.  Jeff Janzen of Winnipeg is the other and has taught here over the last couple of years), some of whom may fly in from elsewhere with a specific format as per the SoloPro Driving Schools:   www.soloprodrivingschool.com

I would say the SoloPro Schools are more focused ... concentrated ... even intense?   

Reijo

Bitters

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 08:55:29 AM »
Will the course maps be available before the event?

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 09:46:05 AM »
Will the course maps be available before the event?

Normally they are not ... although I wonder why we don't.

At bigger events I guess there should not be an unfair advantage for anyone etc. etc.   

Or maybe it is just a hangover from old days when there were only paper copy, if any!

Mind you at the SCCA Nationals, when you arrive, you get a course map BUT it is not published beforehand on-line anywhere.   Having said that, if you are running on Thurs/Fri, and if you arrive on-site for the Pro on the previous Friday/Saturday, you do not get the Solo Nationals course maps until Sunday (or whenever on-site registration opens).  Nevertheless you can have the maps a few days before you run on Thurs/Fri.  But I guess that can't be helped nor that you can walk both courses many times Sun-Thurs so there is a bit of a disadvantage for Tues./Wed. people.  However there is ample time to walk the course even if you drive Tues./Wed. ... do the walks on Monday (the day off).

And, the main reason?  Well, if I don't have time to do the course design until late the night before?   Well, now you know the rest of the story!  hahaha  I have to work during the week at least a little bit to support this habit of mine since I don't get paid (at least most of the time ... and not much when I do!) to do this!    :)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 09:50:24 AM »
The novice course will the same one we have used for the last few years at the west end or a very slight variation of it .... just a fun course that works really, really well ....  It is interesting enough that I have not got tired of it - go figure!  So why mess with a good thing?

As for the practice course, it will be pretty basic .. maybe start with last year's course, and make some changes from there.  But usually I like to design a fairly basic course so people can have a chance to get their "legs" again .. .shake the rust off etc.  So a long slalom is probably in order 6-8 cones maybe?  Some sweepers, and not too much that we can do with the apron approach and turn-around so pretty typical there. 

For Sunday?   It will be a new course and more challenging.   :)

PaulT

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 11:38:32 AM »
Interesting thing about coarse maps, when I went to the SCCA event on Oahu at Aloha Stadium I asked for one and they laughed.
Apparently they stopped handing maps out some years ago and the only way to learn the coarse is to walk it and memorize it.
Different ways of doing things over there as well. PaulT
PaulT #202

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 12:32:12 PM »
Interesting thing about coarse maps, when I went to the SCCA event on Oahu at Aloha Stadium I asked for one and they laughed.
Apparently they stopped handing maps out some years ago and the only way to learn the coarse is to walk it and memorize it.
Different ways of doing things over there as well. PaulT

Actually that is how it was here in the early '90's and before also ... in fact to the late '90's or so?  Mind you we did have some hand-sketched maps sometimes.   

Think we laid out a course by throwing out cones one time a couple years ago when I did not have time to make up drawings or even design a course .... just threw some cones out there .... turned out to be a pretty good course but I think that is just experience.

There are various kinds of drawing software available these days so many clubs (especially bigger ones) tend to have to-scale maps ... for sure for any National level event in the US.

R

JCS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 01:56:50 PM »
The novice course will the same one we have used for the last few years at the west end or a very slight variation of it .... just a fun course that works really, really well ....  It is interesting enough that I have not got tired of it - go figure!  So why mess with a good thing?

Anyone map this course last year? :)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 05:53:35 PM »
haha....no worries.

Here's this year's novice course map and practice map.   :)

Reijo

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 06:04:20 PM »
Oh, and here are the Marshalling instructions, radio operation, and the Down-and-out rule......this will be printed on the backs of the course maps.

R

JCS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 06:32:41 PM »
These look quite a bit more technical than the YYC one a few weeks ago.  I'm excited!

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 09:10:43 PM »
The practise course map has an error -- follow the lines from the start out to the terminal area and back to see what I mean.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 09:53:53 PM »
The practise course map has an error -- follow the lines from the start out to the terminal area and back to see what I mean.

Actually it does not since it is your choice which side to go to on each way through the "slalom" - e.g. notice there are no arrows on that portion which normally means you have your choice.

However I do agree it is a bit confusing.    Recommend doing a sharp right turn coming out of the start and go to the right of the first element.  It can be done the other way also.

R

Tom M

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
  • I'm New Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 05:44:56 AM »
will meet Saturday at the storage in FM , Reijo what time is good ?

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11454
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 24
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 11
Total: 11