Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:26:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

14 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Solo Trials?  (Read 1515 times)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Solo Trials?
« on: March 22, 2017, 12:12:22 PM »
SCCA has been running solo trials for a couple of years right after the Solo Nationals (on the Saturday) on the entire area bounded by the East and West Solo Nationals courses.  A couple of years ago I ran my S2000 in it and it was essentially a high speed solo event with elements placed further apart and the turns were a bigger radius in general (not all).  Mostly it felt like a somewhat higher speed solo event with really only one section where I was into 3rd gear (AP1 being fairly tall geared ... 65+ mph at the top of 2nd gear and about 95 mph in 3rd gear).  I probably hit a little over 80 mph/130 kph along the back straight.

The event was not attended by too many people ... maybe 30-40? 

Here's the rules:

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/019/216/2017-01-30-appendix-D-solo-trials-rules.pdf?1485817455

I think we could run something like this at Fort Macleod and even at YYC.  Note that these events would not be open to raw novices and that it is not a time trial/solo 1.  Time Trials are held on actual race tracks such as Castrol.

Thoughts?

R

Stuart

• That cone is still in the box!
  • Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
Re: Solo Trials?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 01:20:05 PM »
I like the idea and it suits my current car better than normal events (must look into adding a true solo car back into my fleet).  Having said that I can see it taking a few events of careful scrutiny to ensure that all of the additional safety requirements are met as they exceed what most of the regular guys are accustom to.  In particular the clothing, rollbar and harness rules could snag people quite easily.  Also, would different/additional insurance coverage be needed?  I'm sure these are all solvable with the right communication and patience from both competitors and organizers.

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 01:47:31 PM »
I am not convinced that YYC or Fort Macleod are safe enough.  YYC has light poles, fences, and a dugout within easy range at higher speeds.  Fort Macleod has some serious ruts down in the ditch run-off area that could induce roll overs.  Both of these constitute a serious safety hazard, enough so that I would probably not run in the events.  Of course, our Miata doesn't qualify anyway :)
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Wayne Dyck

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
  • "If You Wait, All That Happens is You Get Older"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 02:53:45 PM »
I would not encourage the SASC executive to pursue this Solo Trial experiment. Current venues do not provide enough run off area and contain obstructions that would be disastrous in the event of an incident at the speeds suggested.
#180 DS
"For the money, for the glory, for the fun... but mostly for the fun."

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 07:51:37 PM »
I am not convinced that YYC or Fort Macleod are safe enough.  YYC has light poles, fences, and a dugout within easy range at higher speeds.  Fort Macleod has some serious ruts down in the ditch run-off area that could induce roll overs.  Both of these constitute a serious safety hazard, enough so that I would probably not run in the events.  Of course, our Miata doesn't qualify anyway :)

Where are these ruts, Murray?  They might be something we might want smoothed out in any case, in case anyone drives out away from the strip even to park the car to work.

R

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 11:50:21 PM »
I will have to show you in person at the next Fort Macleod event -- I consider the run off area there to be less than safe at high speeds.  Not all of the spots are bad, but there are some spots I consider "iffy".

2017 Miata (C Street)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 06:57:01 AM »
I will have to show you in person at the next Fort Macleod event -- I consider the run off area there to be less than safe at high speeds.  Not all of the spots are bad, but there are some spots I consider "iffy".

I have seen gopher holes, noticed some ruts/bumps or whatever but mostly I believe it's been hidden by grasses so I have not noticed any bigger ruts and I'm concerned about our own regular events btw since sooner or later someone will drive over them.

R

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 07:49:14 AM »
Hmm, I may have used the wrong word.  Dip?  Ditch?  The profile on the side of the runway has a fairly deep cutout in places that could  force a rollover if the car hit it sideways.
2017 Miata (C Street)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 08:30:48 AM »
Hmm, I may have used the wrong word.  Dip?  Ditch?  The profile on the side of the runway has a fairly deep cutout in places that could  force a rollover if the car hit it sideways.

Oh?  hahaha ... the "great" communication ability of the internet strikes again, eh?  This is really a shitty place to discuss or sort anything out.  Sometimes old school methods of speaking face-to-face/meetings or even phone calls are much better communication methods.  I think the internet does more to separate and divide people than bring them together ...

R

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11454
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 17
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 14