Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:32:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

11 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Nexen Tire contingency  (Read 7627 times)

sti-tom

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
Re: Nexen Tire contingency
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2017, 02:36:08 PM »
Actually I was in Costco (picked up the flour for lining the course) a couple  of days ago and they have $70 off on a set of Bridgestones ... killer price now for RE-71's!   :)
They usually do this rebate twice a year at the same time of year. I usually get my sets way before I need them to make sure I get in on it. You can get them to refund the cost of mount and balance and get them done somewhere else whenever you are done with the old set.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2017, 04:52:38 PM »
I talked to the guys at the counter at Beacon Hill Costco in Calgary and if I recall correclty, the $70 rebate on a set of 4 Bridgestone tires is until July 2.....fyi.

threeotwo

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
  • I have a Hoosier addiction...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2017, 10:18:19 PM »
Tim was not able to get the 275's he wanted so he was running on 265's on his '04 Z06  - identical car to Cam's I believe?  Cam, do you know if there was much difference in the setup between your cars other than tires?  Alignment - who knows but sway bars, shocks etc may be a bit of a factor if they were different.  I was told Cam was running on sticker 275 wide BFG's - correct me if I'm wrong Cam.

Didn't ask what bar he was running, he has the stock shocks on his car and we switched to Konis on ours this year.
On Sunday I was running Rivals, 275 front and 315 rear.
Cam
#192 AS Corvette

Wayne Dyck

• 2020 Member
  • "If You Wait, All That Happens is You Get Older"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 08:15:07 PM »
Recent Nexen SUR4G comments from Southern California... Max Hayter, among others:

"I know they don't like to be pinched. We were running a 225 on a 7" rim. The Nexens runs super wide, so the 225 actually looks pinched on a 7", compared to the 225 BFG which looks square.
I think results may be better for Nexen with cars with camber running enough rim width. Our fronts took a beating after 32 runs in a weekend."

"My gut feeling says the Nexen is just a bit slower than the other two. I base this fact that even though I had a glorious victory in DS, I only paxed 15th. How can that be possible, given my alien like driving!"

"Meh. If they were quick everyone would be on them by now
<- Not going on them"

Now Bryan Heitkotter may have something to say about these comments.
It will be interesting to see what tires are on the blue STU come September.
Although I suspect sponsorship $$$ may play into it for this alien.
#180 DS
"For the money, for the glory, for the fun... but mostly for the fun."

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2017, 04:13:14 PM »
Where did these discussions take place, Wayne?  Note that the tire testing was going on just this spring ... so that comment about "everyone" on them is rather stupid.

Wayne Dyck

• 2020 Member
  • "If You Wait, All That Happens is You Get Older"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2017, 08:53:51 PM »
I recall the NEXEN tire test being in a mid winter SCCA SportsCar issue. Bryan Heitkotter and Jason Isley if I recall correctly. Likely means the test took place late 2016 in order to utilize results for tires availability spring 2017. Bryan commented on their usability locally but questioned National competitiveness. Then in Fontana (April) he shows up NEXEN stickered and tired. Coincidence... I think not.

Comments posted came from...
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119590
Max Hayter posts his recent DS FRS comments here.
#180 DS
"For the money, for the glory, for the fun... but mostly for the fun."

BrianHemming

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2017, 09:43:33 PM »
Hasn't there been two variations - the SUR4 and the SUR4G.  I have some recollection that the "G" was the result of some changes made after the initial Heitkotter testing.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2017, 09:45:10 PM »
I recall the NEXEN tire test being in a mid winter SCCA SportsCar issue. Bryan Heitkotter and Jason Isley if I recall correctly. Likely means the test took place late 2016 in order to utilize results for tires availability spring 2017. Bryan commented on their usability locally but questioned National competitiveness. Then in Fontana (April) he shows up NEXEN stickered and tired. Coincidence... I think not.

Comments posted came from...
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119590
Max Hayter posts his recent DS FRS comments here.

You're right:  Jason posted on November 22, 2016 that they were through 40 tires .... also just noticed Michael Equina was one of the other testers whom I knew from CalClub ... Porsche 911 driver ...

Max from the same thread:    Check out the DS thread - I posted some videos of my car on the Nexens. I think they are right there with the BFG and Bridgestone, or at least within sniffing distance. They require more pressure up front to avoid rollover, but tolerate heat very well. Quiet on the street if you want to daily drive them.

That sounds very much like my opinion that they are right there with the BFG and Bridgestone .... BTW, Tim was also riding along on those runs I took.....so another 190ish lbs along.

I am sure they are competitive.  Driver error will likely be a bigger factor except perhaps at the Nats ... when we'll really find out for sure ...  maybe.  LOL

Reijo

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2017, 09:51:27 PM »
Hasn't there been two variations - the SUR4 and the SUR4G.  I have some recollection that the "G" was the result of some changes made after the initial Heitkotter testing.

Yes, the SUR4 was out last summer (2016) and the SUR4-G came out this spring (the week of March 28 according to Jason's Facebook page) ... a new tire.

I believe they made the changes after the testing with Heitkotter, Isley, Equina and 2 other people (the three I named are ALL autoxers so that should tell you something .... obviously they were aiming directly at the RE71 ... which I believe they also tested that weekend in Nov. 2016 at Buttonwillow.

Copied from Jason's FB page:

"Jason Isley
November 22, 2016 ยท

Hundreds of runs. 40 tires. Two cars. And one exhausted crew. Closing time at Buttonwillow. Thanks to all that made it happen. Molly Binks Allen Vaught Bryan Heitkotter Michael Eguina #nexen #toyotaUSA #racer   "

Reijo

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11433
  • Total Topics: 1567
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 11