Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:47:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

11 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 2017 Current Helmet stds  (Read 2082 times)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Current Helmet stds
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 08:58:57 PM »
If you need a helmet, Shawn Bishop (a long time competitor in solo and rally here in Calgary) can get you appropriate helmets:

http://www.rallysport.ca/

Robp201

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 09:14:00 PM »
Bought mine at GW cycle. Lady was super nice. I think her name was Michelle. 
Reg $399. Gave to me for $330. Shoei open faced. 

JamesTCallaghan

• If you aren't hitting any cones, try harder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 10:13:32 PM »
Bought myself a new one tonight from Shawn, since mine was 5 years old and I didn't want a closed face one anymore.

LilDrunkenSmurf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 08:47:47 PM »
Michelle is great. Nice to see it finally open up to ECE ratings. Makes all my motorcycle helmets legal now.

Stuart

• Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 08:14:02 AM »
Michelle is great. Nice to see it finally open up to ECE ratings. Makes all my motorcycle helmets legal now.

Careful, the ECE ratings appear to only be valid for SCCA, all of our events run under the ASN safety rules.

Bitters

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 08:38:25 AM »
Am I missing much (for autocross and the odd track junkie day at Castrol) going with an M2015 vs. an SA2015?

Stuart

• Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 09:36:58 AM »
Am I missing much (for autocross and the odd track junkie day at Castrol) going with an M2015 vs. an SA2015?

To the best of my knowledge the main difference between the two standards are that SA is designed for multiple impacts (with a roll cage being the main example) and are fire resistant.  Both standards are accepted for Autocross and Track Junkies so it comes down to personal comfort level.  I'd be happy running an M helmet at autocross but personally at the track I would want to have an SA with some type of head and neck restraint, but there are a wide range of opinions when it comes to safety gear.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 09:55:41 AM »
Actually if you have a roll cage, then you can experience multiple impacts (e.g. you can hit the cage a number of times should you happen to roll) and even in autox you are required to have an SA helmet ... so watch out for that.  Also with a full-race car and road racing/hill climb/rally you are required to have nomex underwear, socks, suit and the nomex-lined helmet for fire protection as Stuart mentioned.

A motorcycle helmet is designed for one BIG impact ... think about hitting a curb when sliding along a road after crashing , hi-siding etc.

For autox, we do not experience as high a speed as at a track and no fender-to-fender paint swapping so it is reasonable to accept a "lower" standard.  Usually motorcycle helmets are cheaper ... although I'm noticing lately that there does not seem to be as much difference for the Snell-rated motorcycle helmets.

Also for autox you can have an open helmet unless you have a car with no windshield and requires that you have eye-protection (kind of obvious, eh?) ... e.g. proper googles or a full-faced helmet.

Just watch out for DOT helmets that are NOT Snell-rated.  (I find that a bit of weird one because most of the time it is just that the manufacturer just did not pay the extra fees to pay for the Snell testing and hence the Snell rating ...  Often they do not make any change to the helmet ...  but whatever ... ).

Who'd 'a thunk that helmet issues could be so complex, eh?   :)

R

Robp201

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 12:54:04 PM »
From the reading I have done seem like this is the common factor on each site I look at.

"M" is motorcycle Snell Rating, no Fire material in the helmet,

"SA" Special Application, Fire resistant material in the helmet,

They have the same impact testing standards but the fire retardant material.

Not sure if that is the truth or not.

The reading seemed like in a motorcycle crash you are ejected from the bike so little worry of fire to the rider,

Car... Well different story. You have to unbuckle and hope your not knocked out so you can get out.

Stuart

• Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 03:49:36 PM »
From the reading I have done seem like this is the common factor on each site I look at.

"M" is motorcycle Snell Rating, no Fire material in the helmet,

"SA" Special Application, Fire resistant material in the helmet,

They have the same impact testing standards but the fire retardant material.

Not sure if that is the truth or not.

The reading seemed like in a motorcycle crash you are ejected from the bike so little worry of fire to the rider,

Car... Well different story. You have to unbuckle and hope your not knocked out so you can get out.

A lot of the testing is similar but the different standards make adjustments to how they may be performed and for impact testing they seem to vary in what selection of anvils are used (size, shape and for some impact angle).  Anyone who is a nerd about this kind of thing can check out the FIA rules http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/l25_standards_for_helmets.pdf and the Snell standards http://www.smf.org/stds.  Interesting stuff if you are into the details.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11444
  • Total Topics: 1569
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 11
Total: 11