Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:40:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

10 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: NOOB Question about Vehicle Rules  (Read 1076 times)

hozer

• Not Quite DFL...
    • View Profile
NOOB Question about Vehicle Rules
« on: April 25, 2017, 03:36:36 AM »
I am totally new here but have finally gotten my vehicle out of the shop after many years.  I used to regularly run at racecity when that was still around but have since fallen out of the community and was hoping to get back into the sport.

My question is regarding the rules and regulations.  I work overseas and happen to be back on the day of the YYC SASC Novice School.  Would it be possible to register simply to have someone look at the car and let me know if it is rule abiding? My free time is heinously limited and it would be great to get an list of 'to-do' things so I can have them remedied and participate .

Semi-Related Question.  Can one go to these events simply to watch? I just want to be around some folks that enjoy driving.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Re: NOOB Question about Vehicle Rules
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 04:12:39 AM »
Welcome back!   :)

We'll have some other "stuff"/course set up apart from the novice school so come on down.

Just getting back into it after a long delay, I wouldn't worry too much about car classing and what mods you have to make.  Just get out and drive.  We'll help you class the car properly and then work on it and make changes between the events.  Classing should be one of your lesser worries and just getting driving is more important.

Having said that, there is a link to the rules elsewhere on this site(use the search engine on the top right).

But perhaps you are more concerned about "car condition" and whether it is fit to run?  Someone can do that for sure at the site.  Some basic stuff to consider are no leaks of fluids, good tires, good bearings (no play - shake by the tire/wheel and you should not feel/hear any clunking), ball joints, suspension pieces etc. (should not be worn out ... e.g. fit for the road).

One of the most common problems we see is a loose battery.  Believe me, you don't want that chunk of PVC, lead and battery acid (sulfuric acid) flying around underneath your hood (or trunk in some cases)!  Acid makes the inside of the compartment look very nasty if the battery shatters/leaks.

Steering should have no play in it (e.g. suspension pieces, rack etc).

Your throttle should not be sticking ... Is that obvious?   :)

Your brake pedal should be solid when you press on it.  Again, obviously, it is a good idea to have brakes that work ... even if we don't use them too much in autox.  Maybe they need to be bled if the pedal is soft etc.

Your fluids should be topped up (and not leaking) ... although an empty windshield washer container can save weight ... :)

Your drivetrain should not be making strange noises ... e.g. worn out and, say, ready to throw a rod out the side of the engine block or some such thing.  Just in generally good running condition.  Same for your transmission.  If it is making grinding, clicking etc. noises chances are it is on its last legs.  A worn synchromesh is not a deal breaker but may slow shifts down ... particularly if you have to double-clutch ... which will slow your runs down (just get it fixed ... won't stop you from running but ... ).

Ah, what else?

Well, some basic stuff like remove all your "stuff" from the car.  Stuff flying around and perhaps getting lodged in your pedals is not a good thing.  Just take them out.  Also, if big and heavy enough, they can damage your interior and I'm sure you don't want that either.  Include the driver's mat (and passengers' mats) among the removal items.  With the aggressive driving they tend to move and around and, yes, bunch up under the pedals with poor effects.

Just basically the car has to be in safe condition ... e.g. would it pass a safety test essentially?

Look for the videos I'm about to post after this ... some basic prep for an event.

And, yes, spectators are free to come out ... and even ride-along at our local events.  Some National-level events we do not allow passengers but it is free otherwise and most will take you for a ride if they have time and if they are not fighting to get a better time on a last run or doing some testing etc.

Again, welcome!  Best thing is to just come out and run.  Just throw your hat in the ring and join in.  Ask questions from people around you etc.  Go with the novice coordinator, Dan, in the morning to get a course walk and some pointers.

Cheers,

R

hozer

• Not Quite DFL...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 01:51:53 AM »
Thanks for the reply. 

As for car condition, I'm not to worried at all it's essentially brand new.  It runs well and is in mechanically sound condition, however since I was pretty serious into racing it has cages, harnesses and seats.  I had a fairly decent dig into the rules and they get quite technical in regards to harnesses, roll bars and seat mods.  It's all done properly but I was concerned about classes and such.

You've really quelled my concerns though! I will most certainly register, show up and check it out... Hopefully get to brush off my undoubtedly rusty driving skills.  My wife said there was quite the dump of snow so hopefully that nonsense stops by then  :)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 08:12:32 AM »
Thanks for the reply. 

As for car condition, I'm not to worried at all it's essentially brand new.  It runs well and is in mechanically sound condition, however since I was pretty serious into racing it has cages, harnesses and seats.  I had a fairly decent dig into the rules and they get quite technical in regards to harnesses, roll bars and seat mods.  It's all done properly but I was concerned about classes and such.

You've really quelled my concerns though! I will most certainly register, show up and check it out... Hopefully get to brush off my undoubtedly rusty driving skills.  My wife said there was quite the dump of snow so hopefully that nonsense stops by then  :)

Ah,sounds like you said, you just have to get out!  I agree!  Just git 'yer butt out here!  haha :)   We're a pretty good bunch and won't laugh at ya ... at least not much?   :)

More likely we'll laugh with you as you get your act together and pull off some fantastic runs!

But, seriously, just get out ... have some fun (I think we have a pretty good handle on that ... despite being a bit serious every now and then ... gotta focus and mean business some times when you're going for that "magic" run that you need to win!    :)

By the way, because of the cage, you would need an SA helmet which is designed for multiple hits on a roll bar/cage.  A motorcycle helmet is designed for a single big impact ... e.g. imagine, if you will, someone who falls off their 'sickle and hits a concrete curb which would be a big single hit (I know it's a bit of a gory story but ...).

Reijo

Reijo

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11444
  • Total Topics: 1569
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0