Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:17:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

8 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: April30, Course map discussion and availability.  (Read 1285 times)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
April30, Course map discussion and availability.
« on: April 28, 2017, 03:10:06 PM »
Going back and stealing the comment from the other topic:

"Will the course maps be available before the event?"

My response in the other topic:

"Normally they are not ... although I wonder why we don't.

At bigger events I guess there should not be an unfair advantage for anyone etc. etc.   

Or maybe it is just a hangover from old days when there were only paper copy, if any!

Mind you at the SCCA Nationals, when you arrive, you get a course map BUT it is not published beforehand on-line anywhere.   Having said that, if you are running on Thurs/Fri, and if you arrive on-site for the Pro on the previous Friday/Saturday, you do not get the Solo Nationals course maps until Sunday (or whenever on-site registration opens).  Nevertheless you can have the maps a few days before you run on Thurs/Fri.  But I guess that can't be helped nor that you can walk both courses many times Sun-Thurs so there is a bit of a disadvantage for Tues./Wed. people.  However there is ample time to walk the course even if you drive Tues./Wed. ... do the walks on Monday (the day off).

And, the main reason?  Well, if I don't have time to do the course design until late the night before?   Well, now you know the rest of the story!  hahaha  I have to work during the week at least a little bit to support this habit of mine since I don't get paid (at least most of the time ... and not much when I do!) to do this!    :)"

ANY THOUGHTS?  ANY OBJECTIONS IF I RELEASE THE COURSE MAP FOR SUNDAY NOW?

(PS, I finished it a couple days ago but did not release it ... and a good thing since I made some changes!  hahaha .... can't give myself too much time or I keep changing it!   Anyway, maps are printed and I have scanned it).

Shall I post it here?   If no objections I will do so shortly.

Cheers,

Reijo

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Re: April30, Course map discussion and availability.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 04:24:58 PM »
The SCCA rules in 6.2 just state that a course map shall be available before competition ... but not how long before a competition.  1 day?  1 week?  1 year?

I wrote the SEB a letter about this ... It also seems that the reference to Sec. 4.10 in Sec. 6.2 is incorrect and should refer to Sec. 2.0 ff for further Course Design information .... mentioned that in the letter also.

Anyway, any comments anyone?

Reijo

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 04:52:17 PM »
Well, that was quick!  I no sooner sent an email to the SEB, than I got a response from Mike Simanyi (LA) with some interesting information on why he personally does not like to release course maps ahead of time.

He had some good reasons, even though there is nothing in the rules per se .... The question he asked that convinced me was "What is the advantage of releasing a course map ahead of time?"  I can't think of much advantage to releasing the map ahead of time.   :)

You'll get the Championship course map on Sunday morning!  And it is significantly different than the Practice course.   I had time ... hahahaha

R

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 05:20:38 PM »
At Nationals, the Thu/Fri people get an even bigger advantage.  By Wed night, youtube has many videos of people running the courses, so you can get a good look at them run at speed.

Personally, I only use a course map once on the first course walk, and thereafter, only if I need a reminder of a tricky bit.  Other than that, it should all be in my head by the time I take my first run.

So, no, I don't need or want the map early.  But I don't care if you release it early, since I see no particular advantage to anyone.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 05:42:00 PM »
Are you heading down tonight, Murray?   I have a few more things to do ... like usual.....so not sure if I'm going to get away or not before it is too late ...

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 06:26:40 PM »
Already in town, eaten dinner, and now to bed early.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 06:42:03 PM »
Ah, ... Ed Chan may be there now or soon ... new guy in a BMW M3.  Just looking at the clock, looks like I'd be getting away too late ... probably just drive up really early in the morning ...  Still have more stuff to do than I have time for .... ugh.

R

Stuart

• That cone is still in the box!
  • Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 08:24:13 AM »
At Nationals, the Thu/Fri people get an even bigger advantage.  By Wed night, youtube has many videos of people running the courses, so you can get a good look at them run at speed.

The one thing at Nationals is that there is no advantage for the Thu/Fri people since there is only in-class competition so no matter what you are on a level playing field with the people you are competing with.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 12:01:54 PM »
Here's the course map for those of you who did not make it .... or if want a copy (for Sunday, April 30/17).

Reijo

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11443
  • Total Topics: 1569
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 8