Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:50:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

8 Guests, 0 Users

Poll

Best 200AA Tire

Dunlop Direzza ZII
6 (75%)
Hankook RS3
2 (25%)
Toyo R1R
0 (0%)
Advan Neova AD08R
0 (0%)
BFG Rival
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Your Favourite Street Tire and Why  (Read 10800 times)

E6Cueman

• Administrator
  • That cone is still in the box!
  • Delete All The Accounts
    • View Profile
    • [qr]GaraGe
Your Favourite Street Tire and Why
« on: January 25, 2015, 01:50:44 PM »
It's that time of year again, and for the first time ever I'm actually interested in street tires.  What is everyone's favourite?

I was thinking I'd be going with the Dunlops myself, but noticed the Advans and BFG's are on Tire Rack special right now.  (Advan's only 180AA... which won't matter locally...)

I had R1R's on the WRX last year, and don't think I'd do it again.  They come with way too much tread depth, with a co-driver it was a huge struggle to keep them cool...  and they wore incredibly quickly.  In about 3000km I easily went through more than half the tire.  Note Tire Rack has 200AA R1R's available now (not that I'd expect them to wear any differently).

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favourite Street Tire and Why
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 02:04:40 PM »
I have raced on ZII, Rival, and RS3 -- I vastly prefer the Dunlops.

I spent most of my driving time on r-comps, and have come to love the crisp feel and feedback of a Hoosier.  Rivals and RS3s feel "sloppy" to me,where the ZII has almost as crisp feedback as a Hoosier.

I will give the RS3 a second place, with the Rival in last place.  The Rival just didn't provide any good feedback about the limit of grip, either in sound or feel.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 05:14:04 PM »
BTW, if you care about ride comfort and noise, the RS3 would probably move up to the top.

2017 Miata (C Street)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 05:29:31 PM »
Bought some new RS3's last summer and they are really good ... better than the previous generation.  This time they work in the cold like the Dunlops (also ran through a few sets of those).  I think those two are really close performance-wise and noise might be a bigger difference.

BFG Rivals?  I had ran a friend's (Miata from Portland) car with them at the Packwood Tour last summer.  The car had the fastest time with the same set of tires on the West course at Nationals on the previous September.  A few months and the winter later, even though stored properly (Portland also ... not really cold), the car skated all over the place and we spent the entire weekend chasing the car ... turning the knobs on the shocks ... got better by Sunday after all the adjustments but it was slow.

The tires had gone dead!

They had only run at Nationals and one other event with limited street miles on them.  There was plenty of thread and I had expected to be fast.  Dead tires = slow.  They cycle out really fast is apparently what happens.

R

k1l4m

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 07:38:42 PM »
BFG Rivals?  I had ran a friend's (Miata from Portland) car with them at the Packwood Tour last summer.  The car had the fastest time with the same set of tires on the West course at Nationals on the previous September.  A few months and the winter later, even though stored properly (Portland also ... not really cold), the car skated all over the place and we spent the entire weekend chasing the car ... turning the knobs on the shocks ... got better by Sunday after all the adjustments but it was slow.

The tires had gone dead!

They had only run at Nationals and one other event with limited street miles on them.  There was plenty of thread and I had expected to be fast.  Dead tires = slow.  They cycle out really fast is apparently what happens.

R

Uh oh  :o, I've got a set of rivals stored indoors at room temperature that I used for an event in August with less than ~500 km's on the street.

James@SpecR

• WTB: Driving Skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 06:28:38 AM »
I've used R1Rs, Z11s and RS-3 now, both the Z11 and RS3 I liked, but the Z11 was quieter on the highway and tramlined less going to and from events I found.  I think the RS-3s were quicker for my driving style.

94boosted

• Administrator
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 07:47:52 AM »
I've only tried Dunlop's and loved them, if they made those in wider sizes I'd be getting a set for the vette.
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

Wayne Dyck

• 2020 Member
  • "If You Wait, All That Happens is You Get Older"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 04:49:01 PM »
Current issue of SCCA SportsCar magazine features an article on this topic.
Interesting read... May reconsider my next set of tires vs my current ZII Dunlops.
#180 DS
"For the money, for the glory, for the fun... but mostly for the fun."

threeotwo

• 2020 Member
  • I have a Hoosier addiction...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 07:47:16 PM »
The scca magazine article found the RS3s to be the quickest and the most consistent between runs.
Cam
#192 AS Corvette

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 10:39:13 PM »
TireRack actually tested the tires in two different temperatures, and the ZII came out the clear winner in cool temps, while the RS3 won when it was warmer.  Given where I live, guess which one I will choose?  :)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=197
2017 Miata (C Street)

E6Cueman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • [qr]GaraGe
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 07:24:48 AM »
Looking like a more obvious choice now... wish I could find a Canadian vendor with Star Specs...

I found this article also: 
https://m.facebook.com/notes/furrin-group/2014-performance-tire-buyers-guide/687525144633438/

It talks a bit about putting wide tires and narrow wheels (something street class cars have to do...).

Pinch on Narrow Rims: ZII, R-S3, Rival, AD08R
Stretch on Wide Rims: XS, R1R, Rival, RE-11/A

Cool: R1R, ZII, RE-11/A
Heat: XS, R-S3

James@SpecR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 07:46:26 AM »
TireRack actually tested the tires in two different temperatures, and the ZII came out the clear winner in cool temps, while the RS3 won when it was warmer.  Given where I live, guess which one I will choose?  :)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=197

Have you seen the weather lately?  We are practically turning into a desert  :P

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 10:15:42 AM »
Might be a desert, but the spring and fall temperatures aren't all that warm up here.  That's why I was so happy to see at least one test point at temperatures more typical to our area.

BFGoodrich had a new compound they were testing at Lincoln last year, so they may show up with something that brings them back into play this year.

BTW, the Dunlop ZIIs go off completely right around the point where the tread hits the wear bars.  I have no idea if it is heat cycling or a different compound, but my guess is a compound change since the effect seems to be consistent with tread depth.  Note that this is my experience with 3 sets of tires to date -- people with heavier/lighter cars may find something different.

2017 Miata (C Street)

E6Cueman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • [qr]GaraGe
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 07:48:33 PM »

This is rumoured to be on it's way to North America.  As well a revised BFG Rival...

I can't decide if I'm excited about options, or if I wish it was like R-compounds where there is a clear winner. 

James@SpecR

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 08:03:24 AM »
I'm planning to run out my Z2s before I decide on another tire, but I think Z2 Star Specs later next year will likely be my plan.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11451
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 16
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 8
Total: 8