Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:24:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

14 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Tire Recommendations for 02 WRX  (Read 1302 times)

George

• Not Quite DFL...
    • View Profile
Tire Recommendations for 02 WRX
« on: May 05, 2017, 07:35:03 AM »
I'm novice driver, did a few YYC events last year and am planning 8 to 10 this year. I am looking for tire recommendations.

02 Subie WRX is stock with 205-55-16 Cooper RS 3A on it
D Street Class

Tire Craft - Car Salon has RE-71R 205-50-16's which I am considering. Any opinions about going to a lower profile tire?

Other tires: brands/models & sizes or places to buy from I should consider?

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
    • View Profile
Re: Tire Recommendations for 02 WRX
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 02:01:37 PM »
RE-71R tires have a stiff enough sidewall, so a lower profile is probably not worth the bother/money.

If you are into the "best" autox tires, then you should also look at the Rivals.

Check this thread for recommendations about suppliers, etc: http://forums.sascsolo.com/index.php?topic=721

2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Re: Tire Recommendations for 02 WRX
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 04:18:30 PM »
I think George is more interested in what others are running on the WRX ... what size will fit without rubbing.  I think I would look at 225's ... wider for more lateral clearancegrip.

Usually stock size to the next wider one will fit without rubbing .... since there is usually plenty of clearance.  Could measure the clearance with the present tires to the strut/springs and inside of fenders, front anti-sway bar (when the wheel is turned) etc. and then compare the tire sizes ... e.g. how much wider, and diameter (use Tire Rack.com ) and calculate whether the 225 (or whatever) will rub.  Sometimes you might get rubbing at the extreme ends but you are seldom there with the steering cranked all the way ... even in autox.  Or you can hold back a bit ... hear the rub, turn the steering wheel back a little bit.    Just what I have done in the past.   But usually you want to stuff the widest tire you can get on there ... to a certain point.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11444
  • Total Topics: 1569
  • Online Today: 8
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 14
Total: 14