Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:52:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

14 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: What to do if you encounter a displaced or down cone?  (Read 882 times)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
What to do if you encounter a displaced or down cone?
« on: May 17, 2017, 03:33:21 AM »
This past weekend I heard there was a question about what to do if you are driving on the course and you encounter a down or moved cone?

Like a lot of things in this sport, there is a rule about it!  Go figure, eh?  :)

In a nutshell, you must stop or at least slow and point the cone out to a course worker and if they acknowledge it, it should be radioed in as such and you will get a re-run.  Simple, right?  Well, perhaps not always. 

What if you were mistaken and the cone was in place?

And what do you do, once you have pointed out the displaced cone?

Well, here's the answer (that was revised this year by the way!  Even common parts of the rules are worth reviewing every now and then to ensure you are familiar with procedures and rules - always something to learn):

2017 SCCA Rules, Section 7.4

7.4 RERUNS

Reruns will be granted only for timing failure, object on the course, red flag, or other situations at the discretion of the Chief Steward and will not be given because of mechanical or other failure of the competitor’s car. A minimum of five (5) minutes must have elapsed before a competitor may take a rerun.

If the Chief Steward or designated representative awards a competitor a provisional rerun, it should be taken as soon as practical, subject to the “five minute rule” above and the discretion of the Chief Steward. The Chief Steward
should notify the competitor which run is considered provisional.

Pylon penalties are not carried over to the rerun. A DNF (Did Not Finish) on a run for which a rerun would have been given shall stand and no reruns shall be given.

46 — 2017 SCCA® National Solo® Rules

7. Timing and Scoring

In the case in which a competitor is red-flagged or stops for a displaced or downed cone on the course, the competitor must thereafter continue through the remainder of the course at a reasonable pace below competition speed and will be granted a rerun if appropriate. Delaying the event by failing to complete the remainder of the course in a timely fashion, or incurring additional penalties, may result in forfeiture of the rerun. During the remainder of the run, DNF’s or off-course penalties will not be scored provided the competitor follows the general route of the course and exits in a timely fashion. (e.g. straight-lining
a slalom is acceptable, but cutting across the course or through a corner station is not.)

N.B.  The red text above is a recent addition to the rules.  I noticed even at the SCCA Nationals that cars were not exiting the course in a timely fashion once they spun or encountered a downed/displaced cone.  What was happening was that there could be as many as 3 other cars on course and these other cars were catching the cars dawdling along which would result in even more re-runs!  It was a problem.  Hence, the idea to hustle through the rest of the course in order to get out of the way .... maybe 80% speed but NOT 100% ...

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11433
  • Total Topics: 1567
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 14
Total: 14