Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:04:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

10 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: RERUNS for displaced cones etc! How do they work?  (Read 1155 times)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
RERUNS for displaced cones etc! How do they work?
« on: June 14, 2017, 08:38:21 AM »
This weekend for the first time at a regional (we have done this at Nationals here before), we will have a person whose work assignment will be to time reruns.

As per the rules and some of my commentary to ensure we are all on-board and understand how this is all supposed to work:

RERUNS

Let's say you are driving the course like usual and you encounter a "downed" or displaced cone (even a fraction of an inch outside the box counts and is to be given a re-run).

Once you notice the displaced cone, you should stop (and you must stop or nearly so ... look for acknowledgement from the corner worker.  The corner worker should wave you on once they see and then they can  replace the cone in position).

After the worker has acknowledged the cone, they or their radio person has to radio that in.

Following that, you must proceed briskly through the rest of the course in order to not cause a re-run by the car behind you who will be coming full steam ahead!

NOTE THAT this situation is a rule now in the SCCA Rules.
  E.G. that you must drive very briskly - 80% or so .... hustle!  Get the heck out of the way so you don't hold up the next car!  If you doddle, you will not get a re-run!  Yep, move it or lose it!  BUT that does not mean 100% .... tires should not be skidding but nearly there if that makes sense.

Here's a copy of Section 7.4 from the SCCA Rules dealing with this (emphasis is mine except for the last paragraph in red which comes from the SCCA since this is a new addition to the rules):

7.4 reruns

Reruns will be granted only for timing failure, object on the course, red flag, or other situations at the discretion of the Chief Steward and will not be given because of mechanical or other failure of the competitor’s car. A minimum of five (5) minutes must have elapsed before a competitor may take a rerun.

If the Chief Steward or designated representative awards a competitor a provisional rerun, it should be taken as soon as practical, subject to the “five minute rule” above and the discretion of the Chief Steward. The Chief Steward should notify the competitor which run is considered provisional.

Pylon penalties are not carried over to the rerun. A DNF (Did Not Finish) on a run for which a rerun would have been given shall stand and no reruns shall
be given.

46 — 2017 SCCA® National Solo® Rules

In the case in which a competitor is red-flagged or stops for a displaced or downed cone on the course, the competitor must thereafter continue through the remainder of the course at a reasonable pace below competition speed and will be granted a rerun if appropriate. Delaying the event by failing to complete the remainder of the course in a timely fashion, or incurring additional penalties, may result in forfeiture of the rerun. During the remainder of the run, DNF’s or off-course penalties will not be scored provided the competitor follows the general route of the course and exits in a timely fashion. (e.g. straight-lining a slalom is acceptable, but cutting across the course or through a corner station is not.)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Re: RERUNS for displaced cones etc! How do they work?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 08:41:36 AM »
And, yes, follow the general path of the course in this case to leave the course .... not straight back etc. which can be dangerous since workers are not expecting you to be driving anywhere other than the course. 

Also, why waste the "free" run?   Use it to learn bits and pieces about the course!  Be smart ... and safe!   :)

NickST

• :|
  • Life is like a box of corners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 10:47:58 AM »
Just an FYI for anybody coming out to the Canadian nationals.... if you don't come to a complete stop on the course and wait for them (even to the point of having the whole course red flagged), you probably won't get a re-run in Vancouver. Nearly coming to a stop doesn't cut it.

Last event, I was coming up to the end of the course and somebody had obliterated the last slalom. Square in the middle of the exit gate there was a cone I had to brake hard for and drive around. I either stopped or nearly stopped and waved my arm pointing at it until I thought I saw the Marshall jump into action, and then I exited the course as there was two cars on course still.

To my surprise, when I asked about it... the Marshall radioed in that he never saw me stop or wave when asked, and they were not planning on giving me a re-run. I think there was some confusion because I was at the end of the course stopped and they figured I had just stopped because I was done, plus the marshals were all on the passenger side of my car.

After I spoke with timing they did grant me a re-run, but they cautioned me that if it happens again I need to completely stop my car and wait until I am absolutely 100% sure that they see me.

I strongly dislike this rule and I think it compromises safety. If cones are out of place on the course, the Marshall should just radio in that they were unable to get to the cone safely before the competitor car came through. It should just be an automatic re-run. The onus should not be on the driver to ensure the course is setup properly, and stopping on an active course to try to get them to acknowledge you just seems poorly thought out.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 01:35:50 PM »
Blow the horn!   LOL ....

I know the rule is not "ideal" but then again the course marshalls/workers should be watching the cars.

What were they doing? 

Glad they gave you the re-run.

:)

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11444
  • Total Topics: 1569
  • Online Today: 8
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online