Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:31:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

10 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Small airport near De Winton -- anyone evaluated it as a potential site?  (Read 1416 times)

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
  • :|
    • View Profile
I was explaining autocross to my coworker, and she mentioned that there's a small airport near her house that people use for driver's tests and other car-related activities. I took a look at it in Google Maps, and *if* the pavement's intact, it looks like it could be a better site than Fort Macleod: the main runway's a lot wider, and there's a large separate parking area.

Not sure if this will work: https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.8216046,-113.8224305,1234m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Have we ever evaluated this place as a potential site?
Stephen Hui

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
The last time we (CSCC then) ran an event there was in the summer of 1991.  My stock Miata was bottoming out because of the asphalt breaking up by the run.  We had to move the course a number of times during the day due to the WWII era pavement breaking up.  At that time we figured it was not a worthwhile venue due to the asphalt.  There was also a bunch of tall grasses growing through the asphalt .... trying to remember, I think we may have had some of it mown before we went there for that one event.

Normal life of asphalt (as per engineering stds) is considered to be about 20 years.  WWII is a long time ago.

Current user is an AMA school from what I understand from a few years ago.

So, unless the site is re-paved, it is a no-go, unfortunately.

As a sidenote, DeWinton is one of the former Allied training bases from WWII just like Fort Macleod (if you look at FM, you'll see almost the identical layout for the runways - the triangle).  There are quite a few of them throughout Southern Alberta ... Clareholm, Vulcan, and even to the NE of Fort Macleod there is another one.

R

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
I have sometimes wondered if it might be possible to re-pave this ... maybe make some kind of deal between the land owner and other clubs, AMA etc. etc.

That would take a bit of negotiating but it could certainly be a great venue for sure.

Of course there are some houses around and there could be possible noise and other complaints ...

Maybe this is something we should take a look at some time?

R

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11444
  • Total Topics: 1569
  • Online Today: 20
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10