Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:12:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

7 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Electric converted cars  (Read 2566 times)

Jackal

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
Electric converted cars
« on: June 21, 2017, 10:50:09 AM »
Hi All.

As some of you know,  I volunteer/Mentor at Roots2stem.ca . Its a program to inspire and empower future scientists, technologists and engineers through building and creating. 

I shopped an idea to the founder about a project involving the kids to convert a cool car ( I want to do a vintage Beetle,  but he likes the looks of Fiat x19's), into an electric Auto-x'er.  This would be a larger project for the shop,  and I think a great opportunity for the older kids that are getting into cars,  to not only learn and build,  but also get into racing competitively and safely.

My questions pertain to the classing of such cars (likely an A-mod),  but moreover the eligibility of competing with club.  Are electric cars allowed firstly,  and the rest can start falling into place.

Thanks

Duane
Light a man a fire you keep him warm for a night. Light a man ON fire you keep him warm the rest of his life.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Re: Electric converted cars
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 10:58:25 AM »
The Tesla roadster (based on the Elise) was run in the SS class at Packwood and Nationals a few years ago ... guy from Idaho.

Prius's etc are classed in HStreet etc.

However an engine swap, will put you in SM/SSM, XP or Mod ... Could check the SCCA rules on-line at www.scca.com for more info.

Stuart

• Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 01:21:02 PM »
From what I have been able to gather there is not a current class for a car that has been converted to electrical power.  Both the Prepared and Modified classes are where that sort of a powertrain swap would normally fall but they rely on engine displacement to determine class and min weight (or a modifier for turbo/supercharger).  There is however the provision for local clubs to create a class to serve the local racing community (and a PAX to go with it)

Wayne Dyck

• 2020 Member
  • "If You Wait, All That Happens is You Get Older"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 04:07:19 PM »
Ahh, but there is provision for electric power plants (non-hybrid) within EM (E-modified).

Reference section 18.1 Modified Production Based Vehicles and Appendix 1 Modified Class E (EM).

Good luck! Enjoy the build. Looking forward to seeing you compete down the road.
For once a seriously modified vehicle, not worried about sound limits.
#180 DS
"For the money, for the glory, for the fun... but mostly for the fun."

Jackal

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 04:14:45 PM »
Good luck! Enjoy the build. Looking forward to seeing you compete down the road.

Well I'm just shopping the idea now.  I have a friend with connections into the formula Vee game ( I know next to nothing of these cars though),  and I'm shopping the idea of using a chassis from there as well. 

It will all come down to the founder of Roots2Stem and if it's a project he'd like to take on.
Light a man a fire you keep him warm for a night. Light a man ON fire you keep him warm the rest of his life.

Stuart

• Do Everything
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 04:58:53 PM »
Ahh, but there is provision for electric power plants (non-hybrid) within EM (E-modified).

Reference section 18.1 Modified Production Based Vehicles and Appendix 1 Modified Class E (EM).

Good catch Wayne, I was searching through section 18 for any mention of 'electrical' and neglected to look at Appendix A.  The snag being that 18.1.D.1 says that all "engines" must be derived from production automobiles.  This may limit options but I don't think it should be used to halt what sounds like a really interesting project.

Wayne Dyck

• 2020 Member
  • "If You Wait, All That Happens is You Get Older"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 08:58:33 PM »

Formula V does not qualify as EM car.
#180 DS
"For the money, for the glory, for the fun... but mostly for the fun."

Jackal

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 09:11:24 PM »

Formula V does not qualify as EM car.

I was just thinking as a base for the electric car. I've seen some pretty crazy contraptions autocross out of the states.

BrianHemming

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 09:48:49 PM »
I don't recall any allowance anywhere for a "homemade" electric car.  I don't think it's as simple as creating a new class.  The intent to create a local/regional class is to increase participation/competition - not introduce a new type of vehicle.

I've seen two custom electric cars run in Pitt Meadows - I'm under the impression that both were done with special permission from CACC/ASN.  I also think that both were required to have on board fire suppression because the club's standard fire extinguishers might no be adequate for an electric fire.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 09:54:19 PM »
I don't recall any allowance anywhere for a "homemade" electric car.  I don't think it's as simple as creating a new class.  The intent to create a local/regional class is to increase participation/competition - not introduce a new type of vehicle.

I've seen two custom electric cars run in Pitt Meadows - I'm under the impression that both were done with special permission from CACC/ASN.  I also think that both were required to have on board fire suppression because the club's standard fire extinguishers might no be adequate for an electric fire.

Actually that is a really good point, Brian!  An electrical fire is NOT the same as a gasoline fire and you need a special type of fire extinguisher .... something we need to be aware of:  What happens if we have a short and a consequent fire?  Plastic coatings on wires can also emit toxic fumes ...

Reijo

Jackal

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 07:33:23 AM »
Correct on the extinguishers. Electrical tires require a C rated extinguisher to be most effective, and B for gasses. Many extinguishers for general duty are rated ABC for all types of fires. It wouldn't surprise me if the clubs extinguishers were already ABC rated. It is certainly something to consider in car as well. 

I would have guessed that there was more provisions for electric cars in the SCCA by now.   :-[ 

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 09:32:42 AM »
Correct on the extinguishers. Electrical tires require a C rated extinguisher to be most effective, and B for gasses. Many extinguishers for general duty are rated ABC for all types of fires. It wouldn't surprise me if the clubs extinguishers were already ABC rated.

Probably but it is something to check.  Too bad, I didn't delay my visit to the storage ... just went there yesterday to pick up the forms and drop off the rest of the new cones that came in on Friday.

Next time!

Reijo

BMW Rider

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
  • As noob as they get
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 11:43:27 AM »
Correct on the extinguishers. Electrical tires require a C rated extinguisher to be most effective, and B for gasses. Many extinguishers for general duty are rated ABC for all types of fires. It wouldn't surprise me if the clubs extinguishers were already ABC rated. It is certainly something to consider in car as well.

The C rating of the extinguisher just means the agent used id non-conducting. Essentially once the power is off, it's typically a class A fire, but there certainly could be some class B involved in an automobile as well. I would say that a big consideration in this sort of project would be a clear and easy way to isolate the batteries in an emergency.

As for the classing, I say build it and figure it out later.
1979 Mustang Coupe - under construction.

E6Cueman

• Administrator
  • Delete All The Accounts
    • View Profile
    • [qr]GaraGe
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 08:28:59 PM »
As for the classing, I say build it and figure it out later.

As long as it can run somewhere!  Would definitely be wonderful to see.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11433
  • Total Topics: 1567
  • Online Today: 15
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 7
Total: 7