Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:42:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

9 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Re: July 26 YYC Practice event is a go!  (Read 13485 times)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Re: Re: July 26 YYC Practice event is a go!
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2017, 11:30:55 AM »
Procedural Information for the evening:

FYI, We will be using two grids at the usual locations - A and B (or 1 and 2?).

For the initial part of the evening:

1. The south grid (closest to Airport Trail) will be running the south course (or slalom course).

2.  The north grid will be running on the north course (closest to the storm water pond).

3.  Each grid will have about 20 drivers (not necessarily cars.   2-driver cars in EACH grid will be at the front - we'll try and remember to put out green cones for them).  I would recommend that 2-driver cars work different heats so your tires do not overheat!   The runs will come fast and furious.  Think about it .... 13 cars, 20 seconds apart.  Almost don't bother getting out of your car between runs for the 1st sessions!  I will look at limiting the no. of runs before worker change-over ... it will be happening very fast.

4.  While you are running a particular course (north or south), you can leave your car in grid while you work (no moving back to the pits etc.).

5.  WORK:  we'll divide each group into 1/3's so that 1/3 of the group (about 6-7 people) will be working each equal portion of the heat.  I'm thinking 10 min. work sessions and the entire heat will take about 30 min. or probably less (still doing some calcs...) ... still get a ton of runs ... maybe too many!   

6.  The worker change-overs will be done on the fly.  Cars will continue to run.  We will let you know when to get ready to head out.   Once we have given the word or you have done a certain no. of runs (probably 4 I'm thinking now ... or if you work last heat, then you will do 8 runs), and if you have just completed a run, walk out and relieve a worker directly after your run.

Leave your car where it is! 

Keep your eyes open and don't turn your back to the cars since we will be pumping them out like usual.  Actually I'm thinking do 4 runs and then change over the shift of workers ... might be 10 minutes at most ... probably less.  This is happening so fast I have to type fast here!   :)

7.   Since we have two groups of about 20 cars/people, you will be able to leave your car in grid the whole evening.  Even on the full course, we will run from where we are parked - grid 1 or grid 2 will be running.

More refinement under way.

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2017, 03:45:37 PM »
Timing info:

I cannot run both displays at the venue, but the Farmtek system has a nice little console with an LCD readout of times.  All we need is a marshal to read the times to each driver as they finish.  So here is my proposal:

1. Main timing system with display is set up on the south (slalom) course.  Perhaps moved to north (sweeper) course part way through the evening.

2. Farmtek system is reserved for a separate area (NE corner area?) for people to set up a simple element or two and get times.  It is easy to change to a different set of elements and move the timing.  To be honest, I expect this to be the most popular "course" of the evening.

I can fit all of this in my Miata (barely!), so no help needed for hauling the timing gear to/from the venue.

2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

midship

• 2020 Member
  • Only Hit A Few Cones...
  • may the g-force be with you ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2017, 08:44:12 PM »

3.  Each grid will have about 20 drivers (not necessarily cars. 2-driver cars in EACH grid will be at the front - we'll try and remember to put out green cones for them).  I would recommend that 2-driver cars work different heats so your tires do not overheat!   The runs will come fast and furious.  Think about it .... 13 cars, 20 seconds apart.  Almost don't bother getting out of your car between runs for the 1st sessions!  I will look at limiting the no. of runs before worker change-over ... it will be happening very fast.

I think a better way is to divide the working period into e.g 20-30 min session. If there are 40 of us with 2 courses, then we might just need 1/3 of the people working both courses. Everyone signs up for 2/3 sessions and run the rest of the time, doesn't matter which course. So one will have time to make changes, talk to co-drivers/instructor or a break.

So if we have 3 hours, with 1/3 of the people working, each of us can sign up for 3 20 minutes working session on the worker's sheets. As long as everyone works for 3 sessions, we should be good.

Ambrose

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2017, 09:02:49 PM »

3.  Each grid will have about 20 drivers (not necessarily cars. 2-driver cars in EACH grid will be at the front - we'll try and remember to put out green cones for them).  I would recommend that 2-driver cars work different heats so your tires do not overheat!   The runs will come fast and furious.  Think about it .... 13 cars, 20 seconds apart.  Almost don't bother getting out of your car between runs for the 1st sessions!  I will look at limiting the no. of runs before worker change-over ... it will be happening very fast.

I think a better way is to divide the working period into e.g 20-30 min session. If there are 40 of us with 2 courses, then we might just need 1/3 of the people working both courses. Everyone signs up for 2/3 sessions and run the rest of the time, doesn't matter which course. So one will have time to make changes, talk to co-drivers/instructor or a break.

So if we have 3 hours, with 1/3 of the people working, each of us can sign up for 3 20 minutes working session on the worker's sheets. As long as everyone works for 3 sessions, we should be good.

You have a point about the time between runs.

Having said that, if almost everyone lines up on one course, then that changes everything again.  I'm trying to figure out what that means or if it is a problem.  Maybe people will go in a line-up to a certain degree and then just go to the other "free" course rather than wait? 

But, then again, if someone is having trouble with one course, they just might want to spend more runs there.

Hmmm.....maybe it could work?  I'm open to suggestion and better ways to do things.

R

Bitters

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2017, 09:03:56 PM »
do we need to have numbers for this event?

JCS

• That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
Re: July 26 YYC Practice event is a go!
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2017, 09:23:36 PM »
I'll be coming straight from work, be there like 4.30 if you need help setting up. 

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2017, 09:39:50 PM »

No numbers needed -- nobody is entering your number into the computer.
2017 Miata (C Street)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2017, 09:43:52 PM »

No numbers needed -- nobody is entering your number into the computer.

We will build a full course for the last session (join the two courses plus a few modifications - less than 15 minutes to do I am guessing).  Do we want to have recorded times for that?

You will have 2 or 3 runs on the big course depending on how the event progresses ... how fast we are at change-overs/working and such.

R

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2017, 09:49:15 PM »
We will build a full course for the last session (join the two courses plus a few modifications - less than 15 minutes to do I am guessing).  Do we want to have recorded times for that?

It's getting a bit late for that.  We would need to have people check in to verify that their numbers and class are correct, and we would also need to have timing people.  Not impossible, but a fair amount of hassle for the last minute.
2017 Miata (C Street)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2017, 10:16:22 PM »

It's getting a bit late for that.  We would need to have people check in to verify that their numbers and class are correct, and we would also need to have timing people.  Not impossible, but a fair amount of hassle for the last minute.

The reason I asked was because there was a question about numbers and whether we would need them.  For myself I'm not concerned either way.

As for proper classing etc.  We don't need to do that since there are no points at stake etc. ... just a matter of recording times for individual benefit so they can see any advancement they have got.  The numbers would help to identify cars/people for timing.

And, yes, we would need timing people then ... but there is only one course, and two heats running (about 40 cars, 20 each heat).

R

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2017, 12:47:36 AM »
I'll load the MSR report onto the laptop tomorrow, and if people have car numbers, then we can enter them.
2017 Miata (C Street)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2017, 03:48:28 AM »
I'll load the MSR report onto the laptop tomorrow, and if people have car numbers, then we can enter them.

OK - fair enough.  If someone does not have numbers then they get an "unnumbered" run?  Or does it just disappear?  Just curious how the software handles that.

Thanks!

R

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2017, 08:22:23 AM »
No site visits or other meetings yet for today.  Therefore, I'll be heading over to YYC/Budget a bit earlier to pick up the gate key and to deliver a check for the rental ... probably somewhere around 3-3:30 ...

So I'll pick up some cones along the way and toss them in the lot (if we are not there and no one else has arrived, I'll leave the gate unlocked (but shut) while we pick up cones at the storage).

So check the gate.  If you see cones, I'll also leave a course map or two under the cones so you can start setting them up.....and it should be a matter of minutes before we are back.

I'll update progress here as we go ... or if you have my cell, contact me via text there.

Reijo

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2017, 10:51:49 AM »
Barring any issues:  Pick up cones at 4 pm today at 90 Country Hills Landing NW - Public Storage.  Setup thereafter at the YYC lot.

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2017, 11:20:20 AM »

OK - fair enough.  If someone does not have numbers then they get an "unnumbered" run?  Or does it just disappear?  Just curious how the software handles that.

The runs don't show up in the scores at all.
2017 Miata (C Street)

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11453
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0