Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:58:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

16 Guests, 0 Users

Poll

Guess the New SSC Pax

0 (0%)
1 (6.3%)
2 (12.5%)
2 (12.5%)
5 (31.3%)
4 (25%)
Other
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: SCCA creates new spec class for FR-S/BRZ between Street and ST  (Read 11550 times)

E6Cueman

• Administrator
  • That cone is still in the box!
  • Delete All The Accounts
    • View Profile
    • [qr]GaraGe
Re: SCCA creates new spec class for FR-S/BRZ between Street and ST
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2017, 08:19:14 AM »
Well hello there... looks like the parts are available already!

Tire Rack has listed SCCA Solo Spec Coupe as a sub-model of FRS and BRZ on their website.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2017, 08:51:37 AM »
Oooo.....that was quick!    ;)

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
  • :|
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2017, 08:10:55 PM »
SSC rules posted (on a Saturday afternoon?!?): https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules
Stephen Hui

Tuna

• 2020 Member
  • KG not kg
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2017, 08:08:47 AM »
No oil cooler :(

... but Q gets to keep his exhaust.

E6Cueman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • [qr]GaraGe
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2017, 06:13:19 AM »
No oil cooler :(

... but Q gets to keep his exhaust.

I don't, because my exhaust is titanium. 

Titanium... mass produced... and cheaper than a lot of stainless steel alternatives.

Spec is spec... but something about their execution of this idea is starting to sour me against it.

The new update added 3 more mm of wheel offset too. +40 was already too much. I suspect that clearance tire to spring perch clearance may be a limiting factor in camber adjustment. 
As someone pointed out to me, +43mm rules out some very attractive options that aren't available for purchase on Tire Rack.

+35 to +40 is the first place anyone would have looked without regulations.

Yah I can change my shift knob and add a catch can?!? Where is the oil cooler?

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 05:37:32 PM »
Here's the official announcement from SoloMatters:

SCCA.com
For Immediate Release:

Official Specifications Announced for New SCCA Solo Spec Coupe Class

TOPEKA, Kan. (Oct. 11, 2017) -- In September, the Sports Car Club of America® unveiled the new Solo Spec Coupe (SSC) class concept for autocross competition. Today, the SCCA® has released the official specifications for that class, which can be reviewed online in full at the SCCA Solo Supplemental Classes webpage.

SCCA President Mike Cobb said the new supplemental class for 2018 national and regional events was developed to be unique in that it primarily focuses on a competitor's driving skill by having racers participate in nearly identical cars. The base platform selected by the Solo Events Board is the 2013 to 2016 Subaru BRZ or Scion FR-S, cars considered to be modestly priced, rear-wheel drive, late model enthusiast vehicles useful as both a "daily driver" and for autocross competition.

"The Solo Spec Coupe class leverages the market strength and know-how of longtime Club partners Tire Rack, Koni, Eibach and SPC Performance to create a turnkey competition platform that is both fun and cost efficient," Cobb said. "With an exhilarating car model and tremendous partner support, the SSC class will offer an amazing SCCA member experience we're sure many people will enjoy."

Howard Duncan, SCCA Rally/Solo Senior Director, pointed out that official SSC vehicle specifications include a number of mandatory components and parts that must be used and are required to be installed for national competition. Original equipment or equivalent components are not allowed at national events. However, individual regions may decide to allow SSC vehicles to compete in regional events with some original equipment.

"The Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ are readily available and offer a platform where the modifications outlined in SSC rules can be made with ease," Duncan said. "The cars have proven to be reliable, which should help with cost containment over time. Plus, these street vehicles can be maintained for daily use while also allowing for autocross fun and performance."

Some of the mandatory components include tires sized at P225/45-17 with a UTQG treadwear grade 200 or higher, wheels with diameter and width of 17x8, and specific suspension upgrade kits and packages from Koni, Eibach and SPC Performance available through Tire Rack.

All work on SSC cars must comply with factory-authorized methods and procedures, or industry standard methods. Such work may not result in a part or combination of parts that provides a performance advantage. If a change or modification is not specifically authorized in SSC rules, it will not be allowed. However, components normally expendable and considered replacement parts may be used provided they are essentially identical to the standard parts, used in the same location, and provide no performance benefit. And it is not permitted to use non-compliant parts even if they have been set to the manufacturer's specifications.

Both front and rear suspensions may be tuned through their designed range of adjustment by use of the specified parts. No suspension part may be modified for the purpose of adjustment unless such modification is specifically authorized by the manufacturer service documentation. Suspension bushings as supplied in kits are mandatory. Those not included in the supplied kits may not be replaced with bushings of a different material.

No changes will be permitted to electronic engine management systems or their programming. The engine air filter element may be removed or replaced provided the air flow path remains as originally designed, but no other components of the air induction system may be removed, replaced or even modified. The muffler and midpipe may be substituted provided the system meets the minimum weight of 18 pounds and exits the car in one or both original locations. "Track pipes" or "straight pipes" are not permitted.

For more information, please visit the SCCA Solo Spec Coupe specifications webpage.

The Sports Car Club of America®, Inc., founded in 1944, is a 67,500-member motorsports organization that incorporates all facets of autocross, rally and road racing at both club and professional levels. With headquarters in Topeka, Kansas, the SCCA annually sanctions over 2,000 events through its 116 Regions and subsidiary divisions. Much of the SCCA's activities are made possible with support from the following Official Partners: Chevrolet, the Official Truck of the SCCA; Hawk Performance, the Official Brake Products of SCCA; Mobil 1, the Official Oil of SCCA; Sunoco, the Official Fuel of SCCA; and Tire Rack, the Official Tire Retailer of SCCA. To learn more, please visit www.scca.com.

(For a web-resolution photo, right-click the photo in the story and "save as")

-30-

Click here to unsubscribe.

Sports Car Club of America, Inc.
6620 SE Dwight St
Topeka, KS 66619

E6Cueman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • [qr]GaraGe
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 08:32:48 PM »
I have ordered the parts and looking forward to running the class next year. I'm even going to try and cord my tires... ON THE INSIDE EDGE!  ;D

Bitters

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 09:36:17 PM »
I have ordered the parts and looking forward to running the class next year. I'm even going to try and cord my tires... ON THE INSIDE EDGE!  ;D

This just in... SSC pax of 0.900 ;)

E6Cueman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • [qr]GaraGe
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 07:28:53 AM »
has there been speculation about what the actual number might end up being?

I'm guessing somewhere in the range of 0.812-0.814... at least I hope that's all we're thinking.

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 10:36:35 AM »
I am assuming it will be higher than CS (0.810), and lower than STX (0.822).  Given the allowances for wheels and suspension, I think your range estimate is a bit low.  Should we start a betting pool? :)  My bet is on 0.815
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Bitters

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 10:57:48 AM »
I am assuming it will be higher than CS (0.810), and lower than STX (0.822).  Given the allowances for wheels and suspension, I think your range estimate is a bit low.  Should we start a betting pool? :)  My bet is on 0.815

I like the pool idea. Your guess off 0.815 is more punitive than BS (0.813)... do you think these mods allow the fr-s to outrun the Cayman? How much better is the suspension kit over the TRD upgrades that bump the twins into CS? I'd hope these mods allow the twins to outrun the ND Miata, so I'll give it something stiffer than CS.  I'll cast my optimistic guess of 0.812.

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 11:17:41 AM »
I like the pool idea. Your guess off 0.815 is more punitive than BS (0.813)... do you think these mods allow the fr-s to outrun the Cayman? How much better is the suspension kit over the TRD upgrades that bump the twins into CS? I'd hope these mods allow the twins to outrun the ND Miata, so I'll give it something stiffer than CS.  I'll cast my optimistic guess of 0.812.

I think that the BS PAX is quite soft this year and will be bumped for next year.  I do agree that my guess of .815 is pessimistic, but Rick Ruth has been known to start out with harder PAX values for unknown class+car combos.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

E6Cueman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • [qr]GaraGe
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2017, 01:09:14 PM »
The SSC car is essentially a CS FR-S car minus 10lbft of torque, and plus 0.5" of wheel and 0.5 degrees of camber. I was being pessimistic with my guess... I think it'll be better than a CS ND Miata... but don't think it'll be better than a good BS car.

94boosted

• Administrator
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 01:25:35 PM »
Poll added, because.... why not haha

Let's see who's right
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport