Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:08:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

12 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: RE71 R  (Read 2856 times)

Terry Johns

• :|
  • "It's the nut behind the wheel that's the problem"
    • View Profile
    • Solutions Life Coaching
RE71 R
« on: September 10, 2017, 09:04:55 AM »
As a general rule when is the best time to buy these tyres, one world assume in the depths of winter. I see Costco is doing a set of four 215x45 17 installed and balanced, for $623.00 sounds reasonable to me, any other suggestions.

Im also thinking of going up in size. Stock tire is 205x45 17, my current RE71 R are 215x45 17, thinking of going to 225x45 17 will defiantly give the car more rubber on the road, will give it a small amount of top end speed in 2nd gear, but will probably have more side wall flex and not sure if the 225 is too wide on a 7 inch rim, the other issue is will they rub ?
Terry Johns #8. 2015 CS Miata
Car is reasonably competitive, shame about the driver

JamesTCallaghan

• That cone is still in the box!
  • If you aren't hitting any cones, try harder.
    • View Profile
Re: RE71 R
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 11:25:30 AM »
I've heard that they will go off to a point when stored over winter. I'd probably look at buying them around March next year for my set, and I probably will order two sets for the season to start with.

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 11:37:29 AM »
Multiple tests by Andy Hollis shows that street tires will give you no improvement in grip once the tread width exceeds the rim width.  The only advantage going up a size would be the top end speed, but  increasing the diameter from 24.7 inches up to 25.0 inches is pretty minor in my opinion.

I went from 225 down to 215 on the ND, and honestly cannot detect any reduction in performance.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 11:39:48 AM »
I've heard that they will go off to a point when stored over winter. I'd probably look at buying them around March next year for my set, and I probably will order two sets for the season to start with.

My experience is that once you start using them (heat cycling), they won't survive the winter.  I have had a set that was never used, and it went through a winter in our basement without a problem.
2017 Miata (C Street)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 01:07:45 PM »
I have competed on a couple sets (different other people's cars) on BFG's from the previous year and they had both gone off ... like hockey pucks.  Cars were both from Portland as a matter of fact ... so no serious cold over there and I think at least one or both had been stored for winter but I don't know details so maybe I should not say much.

On the other hand I 've driven on some others over the years with no noticeable (serious anyway) degradation ... but the tires were stored properly in a warmish garage (e.g. tires did not freeze).

R-compounds are a different story however.

Also, you could use some Formula V on old tires and bring back some life.....as long as they are not completely dead. 

Terry Johns

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 03:17:48 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the great advice, interesting Murray that you didn't notice any difference with the 215 compared with the 225, they are also cheaper.

My tires are stored in a heated garage. The Miata is real kind on tires, I'm on my second season with them, 7 events last years 3 so for this year, I think they probably have another 4 events left. I flipped them at the end of last season, and I didn't notice any difference in grip after the winter storage.

I take the advice and wait till the spring.

Bitters

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 04:20:01 PM »
Wow I never knew keeping tires over a winter stored would have any negative consequences. What are most people doing with sets that half about half a life's worth of runs heading into the winter?

Dr Dave

• 2020 Member
  • Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 05:03:41 PM »
Another thing that is common with slicks is to wrap them in plastic when not in use. I wrap mine and store them indoors over the winter. https://www.staples.ca/en/Staples-Pre-Stretched-Hybrid-Hand-Film-38G-14-1-2-X-1450-4-Rolls-Case/product_1411713_2-CA_1_20001

Terry Johns

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 05:07:39 PM »
There's nothing wrong with storing tyres, it's storing them in cold storage facilities that's the problem.

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 05:49:16 PM »
Wow I never knew keeping tires over a winter stored would have any negative consequences. What are most people doing with sets that half about half a life's worth of runs heading into the winter?

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/yokohama-s-drives-on-pch-1/proper-storage-techniques-for-your-tires-and-wheels
Stephen Hui

Terry Johns

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 06:01:53 PM »
I guess the Tire rack should know, must say I've never gone to that much trouble, but great suggestions, thanks for the link.

Myz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 02:11:29 PM »
I'm getting in on this a little late.
Does this mean my tires will be useless come next season even if they're stored in my heated garage, or is it only negatively impacted if stored out in the cold.
If you're quicker than your previous run, you're already a winner.
Apex Detailing|Golf 7R|Excalibur Performance

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 02:38:10 PM »
I think YMMV.  I have had good luck and bad luck, always with tires stored in the basement, carefully wrapped.
2017 Miata (C Street)

Sprockett

• Global Moderator
  • My cars = For Sale
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 02:43:14 PM »
For what it's worth, I ran a lot of the year on tires that sat un-wrapped in my 'heated' (10C) garage all winter and never felt I was at a disadvantage. My tires will again be sitting on my shelf in the same garage this winter. YMMV.

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 04:57:40 PM »
If you have the space, I've seen people wrap tires up and then store them in a spare bedroom living room, or in my case when I was a bachelor, front hall. :)
Stephen Hui

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11433
  • Total Topics: 1567
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 12