Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:12:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

10 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Technical analysis for September 17, 2017 event at YYC  (Read 1605 times)

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
  • :|
    • View Profile
Technical analysis for September 17, 2017 event at YYC
« on: September 18, 2017, 09:27:46 AM »
Had an interesting debate about line choice with Ryan after the event, and figured it could be an interesting topic for everyone else as well.

The last twenty seconds of the course consisted of a fairly quick slalom, followed by a left-hand link, followed by a fairly tight constant-radius right-hand turn, with the timing lights at the exit of that turn. In Julie's Miata, the slalom was fast enough that I was kissing the limiter at the end.

Here's my in-car video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L53EnYaLFuU?t=34. Skip to the 34 second mark if the link doesn't automatically.

Here's a map of the section: https://i.imgur.com/7bpcbd3.jpg.

My approach was to lift right before the kink, shed the absolute minimum amount of speed required to make it through, then let the car drift all the way track right. This meant I wasn't able to set up for the right-hander at all, but since there was no straightaway afterward, I figured a big brake and keeping it super tight through the corner was the right approach anyway. This is Option B above.

Ryan braked before the kink so that he could set up more for the right-hander. After a squirt of gas between the kink and the turn, he entered the right-hander much wider than I did, allowing him to carve a larger radius through the turn and carry more speed. This is Option A above.

I'm curious -- how did you all approach these elements? Did any of you try both approaches? If so, what did you think?

Ryan crushed me at this event, so if in doubt, he's probably right. :)

Edit: Updated the course map and the descriptions of Ryan's line.
Stephen Hui

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11442
  • Total Topics: 1569
  • Online Today: 16
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10