Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:41:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

4 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Technical Analysis for September 17, 2017 event at YYC  (Read 14692 times)

JCS

• That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
Re: Technical Analysis for September 17, 2017 event at YYC
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2017, 07:47:40 PM »
I agree with everything above.  The post by Murray is exactly what should be explained to Novices as early as possible.  And the idea of having some folks who know the most about setting up cars being part of the novice schools and practice days providing advice around cars setups and classing would be invaluable to both novices and veterans alike I am sure.

Jackal

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2017, 10:03:58 AM »
I think that PAX isn't what needs explaining.  PAX is nothing more than a side effect, and what needs to be understood is preparing a car within the rules.  In other words, don't modify your car until you read the rules and really understand them.  Or if that horse has left the barn door, then read the rules to figure out your best (cheapest) path to being competitive within your chosen class.  Good PAX results just follow from there.

I agree with much of what you said with one tweak...

Most folks will get into the sport with the car they already have,  or one that has already been modified either by them or the previous owners. For that I see value in explaining the effects of the cars modifications on its PAX time. For me personally, I see it as more than just a side effect (PAX),  as the modifications have already been done in many of the cases of new entrants. This becomes their first look at the sport in some cases,  and the PAX may or may not weigh heavily on them depending on the person.

Again,  just personally, I believe that the majority of the times that a competitor considers the modifications carefully before either choosing or modifying a car,  they are already familiar with PAX and are working into a specific class.  Unless of course you're me,  and just buys the car he likes to drive,  and mods it to the best class he can (Just as you suggested).  :-\

Light a man a fire you keep him warm for a night. Light a man ON fire you keep him warm the rest of his life.

Myz

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2017, 10:40:18 AM »

I think that PAX isn't what needs explaining.  PAX is nothing more than a side effect, and what needs to be understood is preparing a car within the rules.  In other words, don't modify your car until you read the rules and really understand them.  Or if that horse has left the barn door, then read the rules to figure out your best (cheapest) path to being competitive within your chosen class.  Good PAX results just follow from there.
Well said Murray

Unless of course you're me,  and just buys the car he likes to drive,  and mods it to the best class he can (Just as you suggested). :-\
This is me.
I bought my car then had a meeting with Duane in a pub.
The classing rules & pax discussions lasted 1hr.
The beers then went on for a few more hours ;D
If you're quicker than your previous run, you're already a winner.
Apex Detailing|Golf 7R|Excalibur Performance

John in Calgary

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2017, 11:52:01 AM »

Just to build on this, I too think its not the PAX that is the problem, but by extension (and especially for us newbies to autocross), its actually figuring out what your real goal is with the sport - I can guarantee that my goals (for this year, lots of seat time and no additional preparation costs while getting to hoon our cars at speed while figuring out their limits) are very different from someone like Murray or Cam or Ryan.  Lee and I just had this discussion last week when we were trying to figure out whether it made sense for us to look for a set of 15x5.5 wheels (much harder to find on the cheap) so we could drop from STS (which we're in just because of the wheels on our particular car) in to ES, or do we prep the car the way we want for general highway/backroad touring and general summer driving, while still being able to have fun at autocross.  I think we've landed on the second for our short term goal until we both get better, then we'll look at picking the class we want to build towards or even the car/class at that point.

While I have definitely met my goals this year, its hard not to get carried away with the competitive side of the sport and wonder why my times have not gotten better against the rest of the field (I know exactly why, in order of impact - driver experience, tires, alignment, shocks, and lastly PAX/course design - but in terms of this season's resources, the first is the only one I can actually influence right now).

Last thought on this offshoot from the original topic - I bet someone with time and desire could actually crunch all this season's results to come up with a YYC, or even an SASC/CSCC PAX for the various classes to see if there is a bias in course design towards the higher horsepower cars.  The problem would be the assumptions you'd have to make on which cars (i.e. level of prep) and drivers (i.e. driver consistency) to use in the analysis.  While I definitely have the time, I'd have to admit I lean towards lacking the desire (or experience) to even start crunching something like this through and be able to back up the results with any kind of confidence.

Back to the original discussion - as rookies, both Lee and I were taking the wide exit from the last slalom cone carrying maximum speed for our tires, braked into the last corner, then tried to hug the right side of the timing lights with the idea that neither of us could maximize speed through the last corner with braking (i.e. inadequate brake vs. traction experience on this type of corner), so shortest distance seemed the obvious way around that corner once braking started. 

John

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11442
  • Total Topics: 1569
  • Online Today: 11
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 4