Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:29:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

15 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Next events! Sept. 23/24 in Fort Macleod!  (Read 2683 times)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Next events! Sept. 23/24 in Fort Macleod!
« on: September 20, 2017, 05:53:11 PM »
Next events are in Fort Macleod!

1.  LSCC on Saturday, Sept. 23 - some of their club members are going to be missing this one so there will be plenty of runs!   
Register here:  https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/lscc-event-3-fort-macleod-airport-lethbridge-sports-car-club-344128

2.  SASC/Fort Macleod appreciation day on Sunday, Sept. 24.

Free lunch on us! 

We will be taking any locals who would be interested in ride-alongs for a run just like we did last year!

Everyone welcome!

The course will be a variation of the one everyone liked that last time!    :)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Re: Next events! Sept. 23/24 in Fort Macleod!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 09:09:49 AM »

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 11:35:05 PM »
I will need help from someone with a cell phone.  I am trying to make the live scoring a bit prettier, but I don't have a smart phone with which to test the appearance.

BTW, I haven't figured out what to do about it yet, but live scoring pretty much fails when we get up into the 1000 run range.  Basically, the timing system is so busy saving backup files that the scoring app has no chance to get in and grab the files for live scoring purposes.  I am not sure if there is ever going to be a solution here, but I'll work on it.  So long as timing data is never compromised...
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 02:39:03 AM »
I will need help from someone with a cell phone.  I am trying to make the live scoring a bit prettier, but I don't have a smart phone with which to test the appearance.

BTW, I haven't figured out what to do about it yet, but live scoring pretty much fails when we get up into the 1000 run range.  Basically, the timing system is so busy saving backup files that the scoring app has no chance to get in and grab the files for live scoring purposes.  I am not sure if there is ever going to be a solution here, but I'll work on it.  So long as timing data is never compromised...

when do you need this help?   

Also, is it possible to break up the scoring results into classes/groups of classes (like ST classes for instance) ... or maybe heats? ... thinking divide and conquer here.

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 04:53:09 AM »
Sunday at lunch time would be good.

The conflict is between the timing app writing out the run times to a file, vs the scoring app, which needs to read that file in order to do scoring (of any sort).

2017 Miata (C Street)

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
  • :|
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 07:28:56 AM »
Could we solve the scale problem by upgrading the laptop to an SSD, thus reducing disk access times?
Stephen Hui

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 07:31:57 AM »
Sunday at lunch time would be good.

The conflict is between the timing app writing out the run times to a file, vs the scoring app, which needs to read that file in order to do scoring (of any sort).

Oh, you just need a little bit of time .... I"m sure a couple of us can help out there (one backup).   My phone can be used for that - Black Berry though.

Reijo

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 07:35:49 AM »
Could we solve the scale problem by upgrading the laptop to an SSD, thus reducing disk access times?

That would certainly reduce the read/write time significantly .... I'm sure the club can handle that expense.

I need a new laptop as well that I can carry when travelling ... so I can buy the old one to cut the expenses down (depending what it is etc.).  I don't need a lot of power for the roadie laptop.

Reijo

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 08:22:27 AM »

That would certainly help.
2017 Miata (C Street)

zero10

• That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 02:30:09 PM »
We put an SSD in the CSCC timing laptop,  I found the machine MUCH more responsive, boot times and windows updates times were massively improved and battery life went up about 90 minutes as well.  It would certainly help with this problem but I feel like the real solution would be plugging the web server directly into the timing application - a much more complicated task.  If the two didn't rely on writing then reading back the files from disk this problem would basically not exist.  The timing application would update an in-memory timing data structure then when an update comes along do an atomic swap for the new one so that you never get a half-updated set of data.

I'm over-simplifying the problem obviously, I guess what I'm saying is... put in an SSD, it helps a lot, but if that isn't enough it's major application rewriting and that probably isn't worth the trouble.
2016/2017 CSCC Autoslalom Director

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 02:48:17 PM »
Your idea about an integrated web server is both correct and incorrect.  My prime goal throughout the entire development process of the timing software has been reliability.  As soon as I start thinking of a web server running in the same process as timing, then my head explodes :)  I spent a good portion of my life writing mission critical software (SCADA), and I know how mixing of priorities leaves one with something that fails when you need it the most.  So, as he author, my answer to this is "not going to happen".

I could start moving to shared memory segments, which would be even faster than an SSD, and still leaves me with the ability to isolate critical software from the "nice to have" software.  Sadly, one of the prime algorithms I used (readers never block writers) is no longer available for my use -- the patent just got approved last month :(  I may be the prime inventor, but the patent is owned by the company.

2017 Miata (C Street)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 07:08:02 PM »
+17C and very little wind forecast for tomorrow ... a little chilly in the morning (+1C) but sunny so it will warm quickly.   This is going to be quite nice I think.  Today the temps felt warmer and I was starting to get sweaty in the sun ... top-down etc. ... very, very nice afternoon today .... not too hot etc.

We don't have too many showing up (I know there are a couple more coming from Lethbridge) so that is good and we'll run the last course (sort of ... with tweaks) but starting from the office and ending there.

That way there won't be too much overlap but also a long course very much like today and it seemed to work out pretty good .... great day today.

There's still an hour to sign up on MSReg.

Reijo

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 07:22:29 PM »
Map for tomorrow ... .except start/finish are at the office and a few other minor tweaks.

kaho

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 08:14:00 PM »
I missed registration but meant to go. Could I be allowed to register now? Sorry had a bit going on today and just finished tech'ing the car.

Robp201

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 08:32:44 PM »
I missed registration but meant to go. Could I be allowed to register now? Sorry had a bit going on today and just finished tech'ing the car.
I know you can just show up and pay. I've had to do that when I wasn't sure if working or not.
See you tomorrow!!!

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11433
  • Total Topics: 1567
  • Online Today: 15
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 15