Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:06:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

10 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 2018 updates  (Read 3051 times)

jordan13

• 2020 Member
  • Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
2018 updates
« on: September 28, 2017, 11:53:51 AM »
Some questions for those who have been around the sport for a few years:
What time of year does the SCCA usually release the updated car classes for next season?
How much shuffling of classed and changes to PAX ratings do you normally see?

I'd like to get into a different car for next season as the one wheel drive convertible Mustang is getting frustrating to drive fast. Since it will be the 3rd car in the household only used for summer cruising and solo, no reason not to have something with a somewhat competitive PAX. For example I'd hate to buy an FR-S and have it moved to C street or try to run a 4.6L Mustang in F street (already a long shot) only to have the dominant cars in the class have the PAX moved up several points.

I was hoping to pick something up this fall during the summer car selloff and have the winter to get it in autocross condition but would like some feedback on if I should wait for the new rules or if changes are usually very minor.

Cheers

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
  • :|
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 updates
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 12:19:31 PM »
Short answer:

Car reclassifications are relatively rare, and are proposed in advance by the SCCA so that members can provide feedback. These proposals are published in the SCCA's rules newsletter, Fastrack. Previously-proposed reclassifications become official when they're approved by the board of directors. Generally all proposed rule changes and reclassifications are presented to the BoD together, and approved en masse in the off-season. Last year, the rule changes were finalized in the December Fastrack, which was published in November.

New cars can be classified at any time, with no notice. Also, newly-classified cars can be reclassified at any time, with no notice, up to the end of the following season. Having a new car put in your car's class is generally a bigger risk than your car being reclassed. In your FR-S example: the SCCA is considering putting the new Civic Type R into D Street alongside the FR-S.

PAX is a completely separate concept, created by someone (Rick Ruth) with no formal affiliation with the SCCA. In previous years he's published the next PAX indexes in November. Last year he took the unusual step of adjusting the PAX indexes a month or two after their release. PAX changes tend not to be very large -- usually they only amount to a few tenths on a sixty-second course. The exception here is when a class has gotten significantly faster in the past year, like when the ND Miata was added to C Street.

Looking at your examples: there is no chance the '13-'16 FR-S will be moved to CS next year, as that move hasn't been proposed. It's quite possible that FS's PAX will get harder, and there's no way to predict by how much since the PAX process is opaque. I wouldn't worry about PAX changes too much, as it they're never so radical as to render previously-competitive cars completely uncompetitive, but if you really want to be sure, wait until November.
Stephen Hui

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 12:20:57 PM »
New rules come out in January.

Proposed changes to classes etc. usually have already been settled through the Fastrack publications from SCCA (e.g. they propose classing during the year and they come into effect the next year ... mostly for new cars/models).

You can check them as well as all rules here:   

https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 12:24:08 PM »
Note that they have the Spec FRS/BRZ class coming out too ... just buy the kit from Tire Rack and you are basically done ...

Good answer, by the way, Steve!

jordan13

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 03:07:47 PM »
Thanks for the answers guys, that clarifies things. The Spec FRS is tempting, anyone local considering running one?

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 03:23:58 PM »
Search the topics on this forum ... there was a bit of a discussion on it and there were people interested for sure.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Here:

http://forums.sascsolo.com/index.php?topic=868.0

SKI-R

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 04:33:06 PM »
Thanks for the answers guys, that clarifies things. The Spec FRS is tempting, anyone local considering running one?

Yes, but not until '19......travelling for '18 (hopefully).
‘09 128i = #28 STX

Bitters

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 07:49:03 PM »

I'm very likely picking up a twin in the next little bit. Leaning towards SSC, but waiting on some more information.

jordan13

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 09:46:56 AM »
Count me out of the Spec FRS cup, I impulse bought an ultra low km 350z.

Tuna

• 2020 Member
  • KG not kg
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 01:42:41 PM »
well, I'm leaving town for next season but I'm still keen. I may even be able to build one cheap while I'm working in the US

K.P

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 03:41:35 PM »

What year and trim level?

Midnightsky

• :|
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 03:54:04 PM »

What year and trim level?

Sounds like we'll have a great little battle of the 350Z's next season :)
2022 Subaru BRZ 2.4L WRB Betty
2017 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L SOLD

jordan13

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 05:52:04 PM »
2005 35th anniversary edition, with just under 30,000 km. Hoping the weather cooperates next Sunday so I can give it a shakedown run before winter.

Myz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 02:58:49 PM »
Short answer:

Car reclassifications are relatively rare, and are proposed in advance by the SCCA so that members can provide feedback. These proposals are published in the SCCA's rules newsletter, Fastrack. Previously-proposed reclassifications become official when they're approved by the board of directors. Generally all proposed rule changes and reclassifications are presented to the BoD together, and approved en masse in the off-season. Last year, the rule changes were finalized in the December Fastrack, which was published in November.

New cars can be classified at any time, with no notice. Also, newly-classified cars can be reclassified at any time, with no notice, up to the end of the following season. Having a new car put in your car's class is generally a bigger risk than your car being reclassed. In your FR-S example: the SCCA is considering putting the new Civic Type R into D Street alongside the FR-S.

PAX is a completely separate concept, created by someone (Rick Ruth) with no formal affiliation with the SCCA. In previous years he's published the next PAX indexes in November. Last year he took the unusual step of adjusting the PAX indexes a month or two after their release. PAX changes tend not to be very large -- usually they only amount to a few tenths on a sixty-second course. The exception here is when a class has gotten significantly faster in the past year, like when the ND Miata was added to C Street.

Looking at your examples: there is no chance the '13-'16 FR-S will be moved to CS next year, as that move hasn't been proposed. It's quite possible that FS's PAX will get harder, and there's no way to predict by how much since the PAX process is opaque. I wouldn't worry about PAX changes too much, as it they're never so radical as to render previously-competitive cars completely uncompetitive, but if you really want to be sure, wait until November.

Well articulated Stephen
If you're quicker than your previous run, you're already a winner.
Apex Detailing|Golf 7R|Excalibur Performance

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11433
  • Total Topics: 1567
  • Online Today: 17
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10