Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:06:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

9 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Help With Ice Dice Set Up  (Read 9377 times)

jl5

• Not Quite DFL...
    • View Profile
Help With Ice Dice Set Up
« on: October 19, 2017, 09:21:00 PM »
Hey,

As some of you know I've picked up a BMW e36 328i sedan for Ice Dice and was wondering if anyone could offer me any advice on tire set up.

So far I've noticed a lot of people running narrow width rims and tires. Is the idea here to cut through the snow/ice? Anyone able to offer me an optimal tire size? What brand and model tire is good to run for this series? I would be getting them studded as well of course.

Any help would be greatly appreciated since this is my first season, thanks in advance!

94boosted

• Administrator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
Re: Help With Ice Dice Set Up
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 09:03:27 AM »
Most folks seem to run a 10-20mm narrower tire than the stock size and a 1-2" smaller diameter wheel (to keep costs down and get a softer sidewall). The CSCC has some details on max studs per tire and stud size here: https://cscc.speedracer.ca/forums/rallyx-news/2017-cscc-ice-dice-series/

As for brand you'll here a lot of different opinions, I'm a fan of some of the cheap brands on PMCtire like Weslake, Sailun, Champiro etc. some swear by the Hakka's
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

chairmanma

• Not Quite DFL...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 09:35:36 AM »
I run a narrower tire with a smaller diameter wheel only because it's significantly more affordable. I would prefer a wider tire if price wasn't a consideration.

Midnightsky

• :|
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 02:19:56 PM »
Most folks seem to run a 10-20mm narrower tire than the stock size and a 1-2" smaller diameter wheel (to keep costs down and get a softer sidewall). The CSCC has some details on max studs per tire and stud size here: https://cscc.speedracer.ca/forums/rallyx-news/2017-cscc-ice-dice-series/

As for brand you'll here a lot of different opinions, I'm a fan of some of the cheap brands on PMCtire like Weslake, Sailun, Champiro etc. some swear by the Hakka's

I thought they disproved the Hakkis last year on the ice, if I remember correctly many were faster on other brands and the super amazing hakkis were getting beaten up left/right/center by the competition.  Now that being said the Hakki 9's are out now which come with some new improvements that may tip the scales back in their direction.
2022 Subaru BRZ 2.4L WRB Betty
2017 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L SOLD

94boosted

• Administrator
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 02:49:00 PM »

I thought they disproved the Hakkis last year on the ice, if I remember correctly many were faster on other brands and the super amazing hakkis were getting beaten up left/right/center by the competition.  Now that being said the Hakki 9's are out now which come with some new improvements that may tip the scales back in their direction.

They were allowed provided you left the studs it came with installed.
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

Midnightsky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 02:53:45 PM »
I mean disproved, as in they were slower, as is, with factory studs, versus the competitors with factory studs. 

JamesTCallaghan

• That cone is still in the box!
  • If you aren't hitting any cones, try harder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 03:10:52 PM »
Hakkas are no where near a cheap Chinese tire with 3.5mm studs. I ran Westlake SW606 last year with 3.5mm studs and they were fast.

Midnightsky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 06:09:19 PM »
Hakkas are no where near a cheap Chinese tire with 3.5mm studs. I ran Westlake SW606 last year with 3.5mm studs and they were fast.

And that's what I mean, the most expensive isn't always the fastest

JCS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 02:43:43 PM »
Hankook with a 3.5mm and learn how to change tyres really quickly in -40 degrees.  On Hakka 8's we were typically 60-70 seconds behind Piotr on a 4.5km track.  ON the 3.5mm studs we moved to within 20 seconds by the last event.   FWD Studded ended up being a pretty hotly contested class/

I got for a very soft setting at the front and a hard setting in the rear, I also run lower psi at the front (16-18psi) and 22 psi in the rear all intended to induce oversteer.  It seemed to work pretty good.

JamesTCallaghan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 03:13:05 PM »
Hankook with a 3.5mm and learn how to change tyres really quickly in -40 degrees.  On Hakka 8's we were typically 60-70 seconds behind Piotr on a 4.5km track.  ON the 3.5mm studs we moved to within 20 seconds by the last event.   FWD Studded ended up being a pretty hotly contested class/

I got for a very soft setting at the front and a hard setting in the rear, I also run lower psi at the front (16-18psi) and 22 psi in the rear all intended to induce oversteer.  It seemed to work pretty good.

I was running 12psi front and 10psi rear on my car.

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 04:18:46 PM »
One thing that has been implied ("learn how to change tyres really quickly in -40 degrees"), but should be made explicit:  to be competitive, you really need a dedicated set of studded tires that never see any road use.  You want sharp edges and as much exposed stud as possible within the rules.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

JCS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 06:13:56 PM »

Yours was a very different car, but maybe i'll go lower this year.  the SASC even we were running 16 back 14 front and we were quick that day too.  I'm gonna pump up your tires before every event though James, better be keeping an eye out!

JamesTCallaghan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 10:20:42 PM »

Yours was a very different car, but maybe i'll go lower this year.  the SASC even we were running 16 back 14 front and we were quick that day too.  I'm gonna pump up your tires before every event though James, better be keeping an eye out!

Ok but make sure you pump them up a lot because I want to see what difference something like 50psi makes.

Midnightsky

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 11:28:47 PM »
in just one tire tho lol leave the rest at low pressure ;D

jordan13

• 2020 Member
  • Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 09:46:25 AM »
So I haven't previously looked into studded tires but it doesn't seem like you can just buy them with 3.5mm studs. I take it you have to buy studdable tires then take them to a guy to stud (any recommendations?). Is that length of stud is pretty much undrivable on bare pavement?

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11433
  • Total Topics: 1567
  • Online Today: 15
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 9
Total: 9