Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:53:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

11 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Results for practise event of October 28, 2017 at YYC  (Read 2665 times)

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
    • View Profile
Results for practise event of October 28, 2017 at YYC
« on: October 28, 2017, 05:04:37 PM »
Many runs (14) and beautiful weather.  What's not to like?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByeFbiNdvLbGVkRycWtlS1JmeE0

James C stepped up and delivered today -- nice driving.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

JamesTCallaghan

• That cone is still in the box!
  • If you aren't hitting any cones, try harder.
    • View Profile
Re: Results for practise event of October 28, 2017 at YYC
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 11:23:51 AM »
Thanks for the great day, my tires are finally ready to be removed and the winters installed  :o

John in Calgary

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 07:43:26 PM »
...What's not to like...

My civilized times :P (someone said I looked fast, I responded my times didn't show it, so then he said that my car sounded very civilized), I guess that's what I get for bringing out the family wagon.

Following Zach out of the start box, man his car sounded great, my car on the other hand just sounded 'civilized' which is just another word for quiet.

I found the rev limiter very quickly, not by ear, just by the fact that the torque flattened right out at about the 4th cone in first gear (there's that civilized thing again, no noise to let me know I was already at 5500 RPM).  I also burned up a bunch of front brakes with the electronic differential lock (i.e. brake the spinning wheel), very smelly coming out of the chicago box.  And lastly, I guess I've been overlapping my braking and accelerator in our Miata coming into the apex of a corner, in our TDI overlapping brake and throttle means no throttle response (since I was transitioning from brake to throttle) no matter how much I pushed on the throttle, so I consciously had to make sure I built in a pause between the two.

Robp201

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 07:31:49 AM »
...What's not to like...

And lastly, I guess I've been overlapping my braking and accelerator in our Miata coming into the apex of a corner, in our TDI overlapping brake and throttle means no throttle response (since I was transitioning from brake to throttle) no matter how much I pushed on the throttle, so I consciously had to make sure I built in a pause between the two.

Funny you say that John, We have the same problem in the focus but if I even attempt to brake while on the throttle the can just goes to neutral lol was funny cause I kept trying to keep the rpms up in the corner but it would just shift to neutral and then i would have to come off both pedals before the gear would engage again.. Silly DCT, Oh well next year we will try again!
It was a great day forsure!!!

Greg and I had quite the little race between us and i actually was nervous he was gonna beat me, but then i put on my driving hat and took him by .04 lol
And Holly had so much fun driving again!!! She loved seeing everyone again!
Thanks for the amazing track layout and great weather!!!

Tara

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 09:10:10 AM »
... in our TDI overlapping brake and throttle means no throttle response (since I was transitioning from brake to throttle) no matter how much I pushed on the throttle, so I consciously had to make sure I built in a pause between the two.

We noticed something similar with our old TDI Golf - something to do with the ECU programming, it does its best to ensure the driver isn't trying to push both pedals at once and just cuts fuel. Couldn't heel and toe in that thing without really giving it the beans and planning ahead (for Ryan anyways... the pedals were too far apart for my tiny feet. Such a pain.)
Driver of that weird Celica

Tara

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 09:20:49 AM »
Super fun day of racing, can't wait for next year!
I hope the winter off doesn't erode what experience I feel I've gained this summer... I'll just need to put in a lot of seat time at Speeders. ;)
Driver of that weird Celica

JamesTCallaghan

• If you aren't hitting any cones, try harder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 09:29:00 AM »
Super fun day of racing, can't wait for next year!
I hope the winter off doesn't erode what experience I feel I've gained this summer... I'll just need to put in a lot of seat time at Speeders. ;)

Come out to the lake for ice dice or winter drivers training and keep your skills in check!

trophy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 09:37:47 AM »
What a super fun day, Thanks to the organizers!

Myz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 01:29:47 PM »
...What's not to like...

And lastly, I guess I've been overlapping my braking and accelerator in our Miata coming into the apex of a corner, in our TDI overlapping brake and throttle means no throttle response (since I was transitioning from brake to throttle) no matter how much I pushed on the throttle, so I consciously had to make sure I built in a pause between the two.

Funny you say that John, We have the same problem in the focus but if I even attempt to brake while on the throttle the can just goes to neutral lol was funny cause I kept trying to keep the rpms up in the corner but it would just shift to neutral and then i would have to come off both pedals before the gear would engage again.. Silly DCT, Oh well next year we will try again!
It was a great day forsure!!!

Greg and I had quite the little race between us and i actually was nervous he was gonna beat me, but then i put on my driving hat and took him by .04 lol
And Holly had so much fun driving again!!! She loved seeing everyone again!
Thanks for the amazing track layout and great weather!!!

You should look into sprintbooster or equivalent throttle response boosters.
They seem to help with these delays
If you're quicker than your previous run, you're already a winner.
Apex Detailing|Golf 7R|Excalibur Performance

John in Calgary

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 01:35:58 PM »
We noticed something similar with our old TDI Golf - something to do with the ECU programming, it does its best to ensure the driver isn't trying to push both pedals at once and just cuts fuel. Couldn't heel and toe in that thing without really giving it the beans and planning ahead (for Ryan anyways... the pedals were too far apart for my tiny feet. Such a pain.)

We have Audi 5000 drivers and unintended acceleration to thank for this 'feature'.

John in Calgary

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 01:41:07 PM »
You should look into sprintbooster or equivalent throttle response boosters.
They seem to help with these delays

I'm not going to worry about it too much, the family wagon doesn't get much autocross work, our old fashioned cable throttle'd miata is my autocrosser of choice.  I might ask Malone about it though when I order up my tune (thanks VW scandal for the upgrade dollars!).

I must have been just barely touching the brake as I transitioned back to throttle - I wouldn't notice it until I probably had 1/2 throttle engaged with nothing happening (in a Miata, that was just normal, in a TDI it should have been spinning both front tires excessively by then), then I'd let off the brake and away I'd accelerate.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 07:10:55 AM »
YouTube video of my fastest morning run (4th) .... GoPro battery was done by the afternoon though so I missed my faster run.

https://youtu.be/gYIzkUidbBo

trophy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 08:20:23 AM »
Here is my Helmet Cam YouTube from my fastest run of the morning (run 6) @ 33.753.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gK59DZJgDc

Myz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 09:13:15 AM »
YouTube video of my fastest morning run (4th) .... GoPro battery was done by the afternoon though so I missed my faster run.

There was no faster run now Reijo.....was there? :P   ;D ;D ;D
If you're quicker than your previous run, you're already a winner.
Apex Detailing|Golf 7R|Excalibur Performance

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 09:35:47 AM »

There was no faster run now Reijo.....was there? :P   ;D ;D ;D

Dropped a couple of tenths in the afternoon - last run ... little corrections, more smoothness.   :)

r

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11433
  • Total Topics: 1567
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 11