Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:26:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

4 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Call for Steward Volunteers!  (Read 293 times)

diamondedge

• Administrator
  • That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
Call for Steward Volunteers!
« on: April 14, 2019, 04:17:15 PM »
Hello SASC!

The executive team wants to reach out to the membership base and ask if anyone would be able volunteer a little time towards
helping events run smoothly.

In addition to all of our members individually contributing their time and effort into making all of our events run smoothly, we also
have stewards which have a little more involvement in pulling off an event.

Ideally, we would like to have some cross training from our membership base to have someone able to wear some of the hats below.

The following open steward positions are as follows:

Sound Steward
Timing Steward
Worker Steward

Sound Steward
In charge of the sound meters to ensure our events do not exceed municipal dB limits set out. Also, acts as a coach/guide to teach other members running the sound station.

Perk: You can show off to your friends how many dB's your sick exhaust makes. Actually proven to make more HP.

Timing Steward

The timing steward is in charge of taking care of the timing equipment, scoring hardware and radios are taken care of. Timing looks intimidating, but the job itself is very rewarding in knowing that your efforts capture the scores of everyone participating.

Worker Steward
The worker steward assigns everyone participating in the event to appropriate stations to help the event run smoothly. The event steward also ensures workers are in the correct places throughout the day, be it grid, course marshal, etc.

In summary, if any of these steward positions sound interesting to you, please reach out to our executive team!

President, Adam @ pres.sasc@gmail.com
Solo Director, Richard @ Solo.SASC@gmail.com
SASC Secretary, Gabe @ secretary.sasc@gmail.com

or via forum PM, or carrier pigeon.

G
Gabe N. - 2007 WRX Wagon
2019 SASC Secretary

Ryan S

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
Re: Call for Steward Volunteers!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 09:33:39 AM »
With Tara and I expecting our first child this summer, I cannot commit to really any level of attendance, especially later in the season.  That being said, I would be happy to meet with a new sound person go to over the details etc.

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 12:36:56 PM »
Timing is going to be interesting (not boring) this year.  We are holding the Nationals, so we need to run and test both of our timing systems.  The Farmtek system hasn't been exercised for a long time, and it has a new and untested yagi antenna to help with the range issues we experienced.  I also built an experimental alignment tool for the Farmtek system -- I'll be testing that in Helena this weekend.

2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Jackal

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 05:57:23 PM »
I chatted with Adam today and volunteered to be the sound steward.  I have the meters and will make sure they get tuned up before the event.
Light a man a fire you keep him warm for a night. Light a man ON fire you keep him warm the rest of his life.

Cagare

• Administrator
  • :|
  • 2020 Club President
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 08:14:38 AM »
I chatted with Adam today and volunteered to be the sound steward.  I have the meters and will make sure they get tuned up before the event.

Hey, thank you for volunteering!

94boosted

• Administrator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • AutoX is SRS BZNSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 04:16:50 PM »
I'd be happy to take over as the Worker Steward from Stephen H starting in June.
Tom - #12 BS
2016-2018 SASC President
WCMA Director, Solosport

Jackal

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 10:52:29 AM »
Hi all.  I wanted to thank you all for the opportunity to be the sound steward and follow up with my experiences from the first event.  This is a new position for me and I wanted to thank you all for the patience with me as I make my way up the learning curve for this position.

The first event went relatively smooth,  and I learned some things along the way thanks to both Tom G. and some help from Tom K. as well.  I appreciate the assistance. I will implement a few minor changes that may make things operate a bit smoother for the next event.

Firstly, I'd like to change the forms a little to make it a one page layout for each run group so that there isn't any flipping back and forth through pages while cars run, and include a different clipboard to make working sound in the field a little bit smoother.

Second, I'll assign a different channel for sound on the radios,  and communicate only with the second grid worker to avoid clogging up the channel during runs. This also alleviates cone calls on the radio having an affect on the readings.

Third, Placement of the sound trap will need a bit of adjustment, but that will come with a bit more experience (mine), as the season progresses. 

Thanks again for the opportunity,  and I look forward to getting a bit more smooth with the sound logging as the season moves forward.
Light a man a fire you keep him warm for a night. Light a man ON fire you keep him warm the rest of his life.

YAnderson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 03:33:53 PM »
I can recommend a reasonably priced radio that can monitor 2 channels and transmit on either with a push of a button if that could help. We have a couple you can demo if you like.

Also, I have mentioned to some previously that I have devised a very cheap setup that can connect a club radio to the PA amplifiers for remote announcing. The PA can then be placed and broadcast at the range of the radio. I also believe I heard interest from some to do colour commentating. Might be useful for the Nationals. Let me know if there is any interest and I will bring the connections to the next event for testing.

Brian

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11442
  • Total Topics: 1569
  • Online Today: 16
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 4