Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:26:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

13 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Nexen Tire contingency  (Read 7702 times)

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Nexen Tire contingency
« on: March 31, 2017, 08:57:35 PM »
FYI:

http://www.racernexencontingency.com/

Jason Isley and Brian Heitkotter were testing these tires recently (SU4 which just came out) which are about to compete in the Street class wars.  There is someone running them at Fontana this weekend ... have to check out who.  Rumour is they are competitive ... and also much cheaper ... might be a consideration for tires ...

R

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
Re: Nexen Tire contingency
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 11:25:27 PM »
It would be really, really nice if we had more than one (or two) competitive tires to chose from.
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 11:43:10 PM »
Yes.  I got the impression that Nexen took direct aim at the RE71.  Jason and Brian (and I think someone else) spent considerable time testing tires for them in east LA a little while ago.  They used RE71's to compare to at the test (so they also tested the RE-71's at the same time) and then following the testing, they released this tire (which by the way is probably 30-40% cheaper ... e.g. one size  (255-35-17 I think?... STR size) was $17x for RE71 vs. $130 for Nexen.   

So, we have good price and I think it may well be very competitive against the RE71 .... Might be a winner.

Anyway, Jason hinted that "someone" was running the Nexens this weekend ... maybe Brian Heitkotter?  He is there with Teddie as far as I know ...

Will have to search the entries and who is running them. .... 

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
  • :|
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 11:35:43 AM »
Heitkotter's car has Nexen decals on it this weekend.
Stephen Hui

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 11:39:42 AM »

haha....thanks again, Stephen!   I suspected he might be the one ... of course he is really fast anyway so this may not prove a whole lot.   :)

R

JamesTCallaghan

• That cone is still in the box!
  • If you aren't hitting any cones, try harder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 12:33:39 PM »
It's good to have choice. I'm all for having 3-4 different competitive street tires.

PedalFaster

• 2020 Member
  • :|
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 06:24:28 PM »

haha....thanks again, Stephen!   I suspected he might be the one ... of course he is really fast anyway so this may not prove a whole lot.   :)

He's by far the fastest driver in STU this weekend, so the intra-class comparison isn't very useful. I think the comparison with STR's leader, Ken Motonishi (who's also superhuman), is informative though. Heitkotter (STU, Nexens) is beating Motonishi (STR, BFG) by a half second on raw time. That puts Heitkotter about two PAX tenths behind Motonishi.

It's very dangerous to draw firm conclusions from a single day of competition, but today's result suggests that the Nexens are at least in the same ballpark as the BFGs (and thus the Bridgestones).
Stephen Hui

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 06:51:54 PM »

He's by far the fastest driver in STU this weekend, so the intra-class comparison isn't very useful. I think the comparison with STR's leader, Ken Motonishi (who's also superhuman), is informative though. Heitkotter (STU, Nexens) is beating Motonishi (STR, BFG) by a half second on raw time. That puts Heitkotter about two PAX tenths behind Motonishi.

It's very dangerous to draw firm conclusions from a single day of competition, but today's result suggests that the Nexens are at least in the same ballpark as the BFGs (and thus the Bridgestones).

Comparing Bryan to Ken is a good idea ... both really, really good drivers (looks like Ken is on his game today today).  My thoughts were the same ... The Nexens appear to be competitive but, as you say, one day may not give us the whole picture.  Tomorrow may tell us more.  And then there is weather:  +22C was the forecast for Fontana today on a sunny day.  I wonder how the Nexens are in the cold?

R

Ray

• Not Quite DFL...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 10:41:46 PM »
What have you all seen for the best pricing on the new Nexens? PMC has them, but they aren't all that well priced.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 06:42:42 AM »
Just looking at Tire Rack:   225-50-16 for my S2000:  N Fera SUR 4G's

- see attached file ...

Same size RE71's are about $24/tire more ... hmmm....not much difference for that size.

I thought they would be substantially cheaper based on info I saw from California ...  But still about $100 less for a set then.

R

Sprockett

• Global Moderator
  • My cars = For Sale
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 04:13:06 PM »
Check out the cost of the 275/35ZR18 vs. the 275/40ZR18

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 04:23:27 PM »
Check out the cost of the 275/35ZR18 vs. the 275/40ZR18

Wow!   275-35-18's .... only $5 difference on a set of 4 .... essentially same price.   Hmmmm.....

R

Magner

• Not Quite DFL...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 08:20:40 PM »
Co-driver and I will be in Calgary for the WCMA event in a few weeks on these new SURG4's since the RE-71's will not be available in time, I would be happy to share my impressions. Hopefully you Calgary guys like to talk tires over beers after events.  :D

Chris M. from Winnipeg

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 08:47:18 PM »
Co-driver and I will be in Calgary for the WCMA event in a few weeks on these new SURG4's since the RE-71's will not be available in time, I would be happy to share my impressions. Hopefully you Calgary guys like to talk tires over beers after events.  :D

Chris M. from Winnipeg

I'll be there in any case.   I am interested in those tires ... may be looking into some for my S2000.

Reijo

Robp201

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 07:56:44 AM »

Chris M. from Winnipeg

I'm running the SUR4's as they didn't have the G's yet. Interested to see the changes forsure.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11452
  • Total Topics: 1571
  • Online Today: 15
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 13
Total: 13