Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:51:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

19 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Nexen Tire contingency  (Read 7633 times)

Robp201

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
Re: Nexen Tire contingency
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 03:17:56 PM »
Well after this weekend event in red deer time to retire the fronts. lol

I am not looking for sympathy as every mile that has been put on these and been smiles and giggles and I'm sure many miles of over driving them lol.

Maybe I cut them on a bad bump in RD? I was able to peel them back..
I think pressures are right but who knows.

I sent an email off to Nexen to ask a few questions,
I guess not cooling them down proper, 2 drivers and short cool down times, and pushing to the limit for what we drive I'm sure is the culprits but hey its not exactly F1 prepped track we drive on lol

I am curious to the G's and if they will stand up a little better.

For the money I put into this sport and the laughs, fun, smiles and watching greg on my heels I dont mind the price!!

zero10

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 03:51:58 PM »
I don't think you cut them on anything - my R-S3s and Rivals both started ripping off the same way when they reached the end of their life.  I think that's usually caused when you massively overcook a corner and go skidding sideways on them (as I often do) trying to drag the car back to the line you want. 
2016/2017 CSCC Autoslalom Director

Robp201

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 04:32:27 PM »
I don't think you cut them on anything - my R-S3s and Rivals both started ripping off the same way when they reached the end of their life.  I think that's usually caused when you massively overcook a corner and go skidding sideways on them (as I often do) trying to drag the car back to the line you want.

Well that sure sounds like me!!!! Too fast and trying to drag it back in.

Thanks!

E6Cueman

• Administrator
  • Delete All The Accounts
    • View Profile
    • [qr]GaraGe
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2017, 04:59:51 PM »
I guess not cooling them down proper, 2 drivers and short cool down times, and pushing to the limit for what we drive I'm sure is the culprits but hey its not exactly F1 prepped track we drive on lol

For the money I put into this sport and the laughs, fun, smiles and watching greg on my heels I dont mind the price!!

Wow.  This was on the burgundy coloured hatchback? Three autox events in?  Doesn't seem acceptable to me.

Robp201

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2017, 06:49:25 PM »

Wow.  This was on the burgundy coloured hatchback? Three autox events in?  Doesn't seem acceptable to me.

Well 4 events, always dual drivers, plus 5000 km of daily driving too as I couldn't get my other wheels for a few weeks and I drive a lot and my driving is pretty much foot near floor most places and dont slow for corners if dont need too lol

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 09:09:58 AM »
Might also be a sign of over-driving ... e.g. too much skidding .... which uses up rubber, heats it up too much, and is also slower ... It is a bit of fine balance of how much slidding/slithering is just right for speed ... and not losing speed.

If your wheels are the same front/rear, then you could swap them also in the future.

Robp201

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2017, 10:06:21 AM »
Might also be a sign of over-driving ... e.g. too much skidding .... which uses up rubber, heats it up too much, and is also slower ... It is a bit of fine balance of how much slidding/slithering is just right for speed ... and not losing speed.

If your wheels are the same front/rear, then you could swap them also in the future.

Yup I'm gonna go with over driving for sure the first few events as i learnt quick that skidding is slower.  I am chalking them up to just an over aggressive nut behind the wheel  8) 8) 8) 8)

zero10

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2017, 03:27:51 PM »
Well 4 events, always dual drivers, plus 5000 km of daily driving too as I couldn't get my other wheels for a few weeks and I drive a lot and my driving is pretty much foot near floor most places and dont slow for corners if dont need too lol

4 events x 2 drivers x 7(?) runs per event = 56 runs total. 

That's a short life for a tire.  I try to get 100-125 runs plus about 4000-5000km of street driving per set on my focus.  I manage tire wear by flipping the tires so I can eat up the other shoulder and rotating them to the back once both shoulders are gone.  That gives me 2 ways to use each tire on the front, so 4 shoulders to chew up.  If I can keep my greedy corner entry under control that has previously yielded me as many as 150 runs on a set of tires but last year I delayed flipping the tires and shredded the outside shoulder down to the creamy nougat filling in only 40 runs on a pair of brand new R-S3s.

2016/2017 CSCC Autoslalom Director

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2017, 12:37:15 AM »
At the SoloPro school Dan and Nick corded a pair of 560 TW (or something like that?) tires on the Focus ST- both days Extreme School.  The tires from what I understand were basically new.

They slid around and heated up so much that the rubber almost vaporized!  All four fenders had black powder coating on them (which showed up really well on a bright yellow/orange car).

Moral of the story:  Sometimes higher performance (and softer) tires will outlast hard rubber because they stand up to heat and abuse much better. 

Dirtyspoons

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2017, 10:25:16 AM »

I delayed flipping the tires and shredded the outside shoulder down to the creamy nougat filling in only 40 runs on a pair of brand new R-S3s.
great now i'm hungry...

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 12:24:06 PM »
I have been following the progression of the Nexen N Fera SUR4G tire for a while now.

This includes following the initial testing that Jason Isley, Brian Heitkotter and one other person I can't remember right now whom I know from living in SoCal and competing at Packwood, SCCA Nats, etc.

After that I was checking on results from Bryan and Jason at Tours/Pros and even some of their local events in California on the Nexens.

From the beginning I was suspecting that this tire is roughly the equivalent the BFG Rival and RE71 but I  had not driven on them myself.

This past weekend Tim R. of Winnipeg let me run a couple of runs on the afternoon course during the fun runs (sorry for butting in on the line folks, Tim had to get going and hit the road so they could make Medicine Hat for the night - about a 3 hr. drive).

Tim was not able to get the 275's he wanted so he was running on 265's on his '04 Z06  - identical car to Cam's I believe?  Cam, do you know if there was much difference in the setup between your cars other than tires?  Alignment - who knows but sway bars, shocks etc may be a bit of a factor if they were different.  I was told Cam was running on sticker 275 wide BFG's - correct me if I'm wrong Cam.
In any case I made one major error on the first run with a twitch just before the first big left sweeper after the first 3 cone slalom out of the start which put me into the marbles on the outside of the "line" so I blew a bunch of time there.  I basically matched Tim's best time with that run.  He then said to take another run if I could cut into line so they didn't lose much time (initially I was going to do only one run ... and hence why I butted into line).

This 2nd run had no major errors in it and the tires were warmer, of course.  My run was 0.025 seconds behind Cam's best time.  40.147 vs.40.116 if I got those numbers right (see fun run/set 3 times).

So as I suspected, they are competitive with the BFG (and RE71) in my opinion.

What do they feel like?  I think I could have used another run or two in order to focus in on the "feel" a bit more but I'll try to remember exactly what I was "feeling":

The tires felt "gummy" or sort of R-compound-like which also confirmed the grip level for me - that grip was very, very good for sure.  The temp was somewhere around 22C/72F (so not overly hot per se).  The 4G's felt quite grippy and composed/forgiving right off the bat (the error was mine ... just got on the gas a bit too much which changed my line into the marbles ... a bit of an adjustment from a base '99 Corvette on Bridgestone 760's, taller gearing and significantly less jam).

On the 2nd run I noticed around the far SW off-camber right corner, especially part 2 of the corner where you turn east toward the tight left-hander, that when the tires began to slide (with no initial squealing), I was able to easily control the amount of slide with changes in the throttle input and also keep a tight line around the cones  (see Murray's video as an example of the line around there).  The car handling was quite neutral with oversteer on the throttle, of course ... Z06, right?  :)  Then into the big right corner into the finish chute, I was hard on the throttle but had to hold back a tiny bit to prevent the slide from getting too much sideways but, again, it was quite controllable.

Tim mentioned that he found them easy and forgiving to drive and fast.  At the last Winnipeg event he said he coned away the top PAX time so he was quite happy with the tires and feel of them as well (we had a FB discussion going for a while which was also good information btw).

In summary we ran a 265 4G against a 275 Rival and came out within 0.025 sec.

Are they a competitive tire?

I would say so.  They appear to be an equivalent.

Therefore, if you are looking for a high perf. tire that is competitive and you can't get anything else, the 4G is a viable alternative in my opinion.

BTW, I have heard they are  not available in Canada yet but you can get them through Tire Rack or other suppliers from the USA.  That is where Tim got his set within the last month or so.

Cheers,

Reijo

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 12:36:15 PM »
Here's a link the Nexen USA web site with the full selection of sizes (I seem to remember they are adding sizes as the year moves on).  Tire Rack does not have all of these sizes listed on their web site so that is why I'm posting this link. 

For example, the 265's that Tim was running were not listed on the Tire Rack web site (needs updating obviously) but he got the 265's from Tire Rack.

https://www.nexentireusa.com/tires/high-performance/n-fera-sur4g

So, size availability is something to keep checking on since they are apparently in a state of flux (new tire and all ... the tire testing was just a few months ago).

sti-tom

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 01:18:15 PM »
Will be interesting to see what kind of pricing we can get when available in Canada. As it stands now, getting a set of 265/35ZR18 for my sti would cost about 40% more than getting RE71Rs from Costco.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 01:32:04 PM »
Actually I was in Costco (picked up the flour for lining the course) a couple  of days ago and they have $70 off on a set of Bridgestones ... killer price now for RE-71's!   :)

Myz

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2017, 02:22:28 PM »
Thanks for this review Reijo.
It helped alot!
If you're quicker than your previous run, you're already a winner.
Apex Detailing|Golf 7R|Excalibur Performance

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11433
  • Total Topics: 1567
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 19