Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:52:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

7 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: YYC - WCMA Regional - Count as series Event?  (Read 3528 times)

sti-tom

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
YYC - WCMA Regional - Count as series Event?
« on: May 30, 2017, 02:30:27 PM »
I spoke with Tom on Sunday about this event counting towards the SASC championship series. He wasn't sure if they would count or not. I know @ ASA we always counted all WCMA Regional events as part of our series to encourage people to get out to other clubs events. I was hoping this was the case with SASC as well. I am going to have a tough time getting enough YYC events in otherwise.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I don't hit cones. I cone the hits.
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
Re: YYC - WCMA Regional - Count as series Event?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 02:36:06 PM »
I think it was your choice of any of the championship events could count ... just practice events did not.  Just needed a couple of events from each venue - Red Deer Westerner, Fort Macleod and YYC.....or something like that.

Correct me if I'm wrong ... anyone?

From the schedule on this forum I copied the following:

Championship Details
-To qualify for the overall joint championship Best 7/12 events will be taken to determine your overall score.
-Your best 7 will require minimum 2 scores at each venue. So your 2 best results from Red Deer, YYC, and Fort Macleod will be factored into your best 7.
-All of the days count as a single event except practice events.

The way I read the above is that the WCMA events count as 2 days for the CSCC/SASC championship series ... and they would count as your minimum 2 events at YYC.  Having said that, I think points might be harder to come by at this event since we will have more people here including a bunch from Winnipeg who are headed for Vancouver for the Nationals .... so more hot shoes present.

R

Robp201

• 2020 Member
  • That cone is still in the box!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 03:26:08 PM »
I think it was your choice of any of the championship events could count ... just practice events did not.  Just needed a couple of events from each venue - Red Deer Westerner, Fort Macleod and YYC.....or something like that.

Correct me if I'm wrong ... anyone?

From the schedule on this forum I copied the following:

Championship Details
-To qualify for the overall joint championship Best 7/12 events will be taken to determine your overall score.
-Your best 7 will require minimum 2 scores at each venue. So your 2 best results from Red Deer, YYC, and Fort Macleod will be factored into your best 7.
-All of the days count as a single event except practice events.

The way I read the above is that the WCMA events count as 2 days for the CSCC/SASC championship series ... and they would count as your minimum 2 events at YYC.  Having said that, I think points might be harder to come by at this event since we will have more people here including a bunch from Winnipeg who are headed for Vancouver for the Nationals .... so more hot shoes present.

R

The way I read it was
the ones with event numbers were the ones that counted.
The 2 day event didn't have an event # beside it so I didn't interpret it to be part of the championship.
Maybe I'm Wrong?

zero10

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 03:32:14 PM »
If there's room for opinions on this I would suggest that we do count June 17/18 into the joint championship, but I'm not so sure about other WCMA events.  I feel like with prize money and bragging rights on the line in the WCMA series the people who would be interested are already motivated to get around to other cities to run there.  Since only CSCC/SASC members are eligible for the championship I'm not sure if it actually matters very much?

Last year when we hosted a WCMA regional we scored the first 3 runs for the regional then the best morning + best afternoon in the joint championship series.
2016/2017 CSCC Autoslalom Director

Bitters

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 04:04:12 PM »
"To qualify for the overall joint championship Best 7/12 events will be taken to determine your overall score."
There were 12 champ events NOT counting the WCMA regionals when this was written (and subsequently we have moved to 13 events this year with the inclusion of the last red deer event on May 28 - so best 7/13), which would imply that the WCMA regionals did not count toward the 12 eligible events. Otherwise, I imagine it would have been written as best 7/14 (and subsequently best 7/15)

Type_Yarr

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 04:32:03 PM »
It's been noted in the club meeting minutes since January that the 2-day June WCMA regional event was non-championship, if that makes any difference.
Richard B

SKI-R

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 04:40:29 PM »
I interpreted the 'OFFICIAL' calendar as NOT including the WCMA event as part of the club Championships......last weekend's Westerner was Championship Event #3, next weekend in FM is #4, the subsequent weekend back in Red Deer is #5 and then the next listed event as Championship #6 is July 2 in Calgary.  Ultimately it makes little difference to me given that I can get enough at each venue anyway, BUT......I would've tried to arrange my schedule to be there if it had originally been listed as a club championship event.

Reference:

http://forums.sascsolo.com/index.php?topic=657.0
‘09 128i = #28 STX

Apex Carver

• Global Moderator
  • I Drive Like I'm New Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 04:55:22 PM »
As discussed in the club meetings, the WCMA regional does not count towards the club championship.
Chris S. #86

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 05:08:25 PM »
As discussed in the club meetings, the WCMA regional does not count towards the club championship.

Chris,do you remember why we designated the WCMA event as non-championship?  I don't remember ... except maybe to just keep it separate from other events.....or to limit the number of championship events at YYC?

R

sti-tom

• Only Hit A Few Cones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 05:19:33 PM »
It would be nice if at least one of the days was part of the series. There isn't nearly as much motivational to come out to this event anymore for me. It's not like there is another regional event in Alberta to do this year, and I'm not inclined to drive all the way out to Regina or Winnipeg to get a 3rd day in. In fact, I haven't even seen anything this year saying that there is an actual WCMA series taking place.

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 05:55:43 PM »
It would be nice if at least one of the days was part of the series. There isn't nearly as much motivational to come out to this event anymore for me. It's not like there is another regional event in Alberta to do this year, and I'm not inclined to drive all the way out to Regina or Winnipeg to get a 3rd day in. In fact, I haven't even seen anything this year saying that there is an actual WCMA series taking place.

Whoops I messed up .... and hit the wrong button!   :(   Anyway ...

I think Jim might be busy?  Saw him at the WCMA licencing school but did not speak too much with him.  I think he is concentrating more on road racing this year.  I should email and ask him ... would be good to know what is happening.

One of our bigger motivations for this date is the fact that it is the weekend before the Cdn. Champs in BC.  The lot is almost identical in size to the Pitt Meadows site (for the course that is, both are asphalt as well) and we wanted to make it a good preparation event for the Nats.  So we will be putting in a bit more time on course design etc. ...and are, in fact, discussing making it two separate courses by different designers (Ryan and I ... or someone else interested?) that are run forwards and backwards on both days - 3 runs each way such that it will be a simulation of the Cdns.

Plus there are a few guys coming from Winnipeg who are also looking at this event for the same  reason ... catch an event along the way ...  Notably for the Winnipeg guys this works out really well since they catch a 2-day WCMA event here and then they can get their Winnipeg WCMA event for the 3rd one.

R

Apex Carver

• Global Moderator
  • I Drive Like I'm New Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 11:07:54 PM »

Chris,do you remember why we designated the WCMA event as non-championship?  I don't remember ... except maybe to just keep it separate from other events.....or to limit the number of championship events at YYC?

R

Maybe Tom/Wanye can speak more to this but I was under the impression that we wanted to keep the number of points events manageable so that more people could potentially participate for the championship (so 12 events total, best 7). However, we also wanted to make sure that the people who qualified for the championship had to make atleast half the points events.

We also didnt land on if we were doing 2 day combined scoring or separate scoring. By keeping the WCMA out of the championship, it allowed us to keep the flexibility for scoring (although I think it would be best suited for 1 day scoring to allow more people to participate).
Chris S. #86

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 11:13:00 PM »
Thanks Chris.

I seem to also remember that we had just too many events at YYC ... re:  Your manageable comment ... but we also wanted to use the venue as much as we could, while we could.  They mean to develop the property eventually so that is a concern.

Reijo

MurrayPeterson

• 2020 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 12:17:43 AM »
However, we also wanted to make sure that the people who qualified for the championship had to make at least half the points events.

Not sure I  understand the reasoning behind this.  Why not have best 7 events, even if we hold 15 or 20 events in the year?
2017 Miata (C Street)
Avatar photo courtesy of Ian Gulinao

Reijo

• Global Moderator
  • I know Karate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 12:29:16 AM »
However, we also wanted to make sure that the people who qualified for the championship had to make at least half the points events.

Not sure I  understand the reasoning behind this.  Why not have best 7 events, even if we hold 15 or 20 events in the year?

There was also the requirement for travel considered.  If all the events in Calgary counted, you would not have to travel to Red Deer or Fort Macleod.  The way the championship rules for this year were worded was that you had to run at least 2 events at each venue - Westerner/Red Deer, YYC/Calgary and FM/Fort Macleod plus 1 event = 7.

Originally we discussed this at the January meeting so it is a while ago and I don't remember the complete gist of the conversation ... maybe Tom G. or someone else can remember more?

Something else related:  There is always the consideration of budget for some people ... re:  making one set of tires last the entire summer.

Others of course would go to every event that we host and then some!  hahaha   :)

Reijo

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 11433
  • Total Topics: 1567
  • Online Today: 15
  • Online Ever: 419
  • (November 15, 2018, 01:04:55 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 7